Has anyone tried a different math & english schedule?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
wdworkman

Has anyone tried a different math & english schedule?

Post by wdworkman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:41 am

It seems like whichever subject my 10 yos does second, Math or English, gets less attention and effort. So, I'm considering doing one or the other on alternating days. Of course, that would mean usually covering two Math lessons one day and two English lessons the next day. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?
(I'm only thinking of the actual textbook lessons - we would still do Dictation and Math Fact Drills every day)

mansmom

Re: Has anyone tried a different math & english schedule?

Post by mansmom » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 pm

I haven't tried doing one and then the other....my daughter would fall on the floor in horrer if I told her she needed to do 2 math lessons!!! But we did go to doing math in the morning...along with other things, mind you....but then Grammar is done in the afternoon...LONG after math had been completed...it took me a long time to accept this...bc I am a more of a "get it done first thing" kind of person....but it is really working for her. I just split up her harder work into 2 groups. She came to me after the first day (I think?) of trying this schedule and said..."mom, I think you finally got it!"

HTH
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:29 pm

This is actually what we are doing this year with my son who is in Bigger. He is using Rod and Staff 3 and SM 2A right now. He needs all my attention and help with math. He is doing much better- remembering concepts, everything by giving focused attention every other day. We do one whole exercise on that day. I use the HOD manual to "teach" the concepts on the exercise we are on. I also use extra practice with him because he needs it. Not math minded- I think- like me? Although- he tested very well in math this past year! :D
I do Grammar on the alternate days- one lesson. I feel such peace about this- especially as I read Carrie and Julie's posts about the advanced nature of Rod and Staff. I am totally at peace teaching one grammar lesson every other day. This is working really well for my son.
For us, with this child, doing grammar and math every day was consuming lots and lots of time and causing melt downs (mainly the math).

If I didn't have peace about this- I would do what the other mom suggested and do one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

Hope this helps,
Rebecca

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I have not done what you are asking, but I have made many of my own alterations to work with our family's needs. I say if it sounds worthwhile to you to try it, then by all means, try it for a week or two weeks and see how it goes! That is the best part of homeschooling! :D

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways