Considering switching to R&S

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamas4bugs

Considering switching to R&S

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:14 am

We have used Learning Language Arts Through Literature for most of our homeschool years, which we have really enjoyed. I'm finding, though, that since my oldest son has started HOD that the combination of LLATL and HOD tends to be overkill. LLATL has copy work, dictation, and poem memorization in it also. What I have been doing is just skipping those parts of LLATL in favor of that section of HOD's LA (he seems to enjoy HOD's choices more) and just using the LLATL grammar instruction, but it is beginning to irritate me to weed out what I don't want and to try and determine what's too much. I was considering switching him to R&S and just using all of HOD's LA as written. I'm not certain, though, what level to use if we decide to do this. I've looked at the online samples, but I am desperately missing having a homeschool store near my house--I'd just go get it to try. Unfortunately, it will take at least two weeks to even get it over here before we can use it a bit and see if it works. Grrr. (Nothing anyone can do about that last part--I'm just griping. :P ) I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has thoughts on switching, and what level should I go for if we do? I thought I had read something on another link about a placement test, but I can't find it now.

anointedhsmom

Re: Considering switching to R&S

Post by anointedhsmom » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:41 am

Hi mamas4bugs,

Here is web site with info on R&S. http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Ro ... urriculum/ You can see samples of the books here. Click on English and there will be a link for Samples there. R&S does not have a placement test at this time that I know of but if I'm wrong on that someone correct me. According to Milestone Ministries web site they do not. Be sure to check out the FAQ's at that site too. I also could not find a Scope & Sequence either. You might have to eyeball it based on the samples. The samples seemed very good showing the complete table of contents and several lessons.

Hope this helps you decide. It's so hard when you can't see curriculum in your hand and it doesn't help that you are not in the US either with shipping and so forth.

Blessings!
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:39 am

Is this switch in regards to your 10 yo? When we decided to combine my 5th grader into Bigger... with my dd 8 this year...using the extensions, we also switched over to R&S. I decided to go with level 3, though he probably could have done 4 from the beginning, mainly because he had not done any diagraming and I didn't want him to miss the intro. to that in level 3. Most of it has been review though, so we've skipped some lessons, and we've also done 2 a day some days, but only doing even/odd numbers. At this pace we will be able to get him into level 4 by January. It really depends on where your child is in his abilities...I have 'heard' that R&S is a bit advanced as far as LA curriculums go. I do really like how thorough it is...my dd is using level 2 and is moving along very well...it's her first real exposure to grammar (besides what was in Beyond...) and I'm pleased with it.

Maybe check out the link the pp provided above and that will help. The good news is, the books are fairly inexpensive, so you might be able to order 3 & 4 then decide which is best once you see them. Just my thoughts; I'm sure others will be along to help too. :)

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks, Ladies!

I would just buy them and see where he is, but shipping over here takes forever, which I find just a tad frustrating. :P If we decide to switch, I'll most likely put him in level 4. Thanks again!

ksjk3

Post by ksjk3 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:50 pm

I placed my 10 year old in level 4 R&S. It is one of the BEST decisions I've made this year regarding curriculum. Technically, she's a 5th grader, but going down a level has been perfect for her, but I must add language has always been a challenge for her. I also bought the extra worksheet book and test booklet (very inexpensive). They've been great extra practice, and the tests have encouraged me because she's scoring right on target. I also have a 2nd grader in R&S. I absolutely love this curriculum. I've tried Abeka and Shurley Language previously and neither stuck with them. Rod & Staff is a winner in my book! Hope this encourages you in your decision. I might add I also got the TE for level 4. I don't use it much, but it's been nice to have to double check answers.
Kristi

Mother of 3 girls ages 10, 8, and 3 years