Has anyone changed curriculum mid year? sm

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Allison TX

Has anyone changed curriculum mid year? sm

Post by Allison TX » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:40 am

I am so excited to begin Bigger Hearts- I just don't want to wait until next year :!: I keep looking at the samples and it seems to be a perfect fit for where we are right now. :) My kids are not super thrilled with our current program, even though I like it. And they keep asking to study American History again. What do you think? Should I speed up what we are currently using and start Bigger in March? Or should I be patient and wait till the fall? If they were really enjoying our current program, I would just wait. But since they aren't, I keep wondering if we should switch now. Please help me decide! :?

Allison

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 am

I haven't swtiched mid year but I would vote for switching. If your kids aren't enjoying school... What is the point?

You are not locked into a school year. Isn't that one of the perks of HS? Doing what fits your kids when it fits your kids?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:19 pm

I just did! I actually sort of did it twice. I switched my younger two to LHFG about 1/3 of the way into the year and then now about a little over midyear for us I switched my older four to BHFG. Both times best thing I ever did. I even moved one into new phonics because The Reading Lesson looked so good. All decisions turned out toe be winners. I have no regrets at all. I am just so excited we have them all in HOD I feel like doing the happy dance all the time. And I am really not kidding. :lol: The best part is we feel set for a very long time now, at least until 8th grade.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:44 pm

It's time for a change... hon'! I say take the plunge! In the past, I've been in your shoes, and when I finally made the switch, I was SO RELIEVED! Trust me, what you're doing that you're not liking won't look any better tomorrow than it does today. Why not just run a Jan. to Dec. school year? I've done this, and it's neat to come back to it after summer break too... sort of like coming home to an old friend. Just my 2 cents!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:17 pm

As I recall, I did that for my son years ago-I had him in a program that just was overwhelming-we switched mid-year to something less intense, and there was such relief all around. :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Amy in Ohio

Post by Amy in Ohio » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:04 pm

I just quit ours (Konos) 3 weeks ago, and started using Beyond. Best decision I have made in quite some time! :D Hope this helps!
Blessings,
Amy

Wife to Dave
Mom to 2 Boisterous Boys Cade~8 & Brandt~6
Home School Survivor for 3 years and counting!

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Thank you for all the great advice. I think I'll go ahead and start next month. Now I just need to place my order. :D This board is great- you are all so supportive :!:

Allison