Re-thinking what I'm going to order? Please help...,

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Re-thinking what I'm going to order? Please help...,

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:43 am

Quick Background:

I will be using this with three of my 4 boys.

5 year old son is JUST learning letters and to read and has never done any form of basic math other than natural counting activities.

7 year old son is smack dab in the middle of learning to read. He decodes, does well with 3 letter words and "some" 4 letter. But it is not reading. Working at an end of 1st, beginning 2nd grade math.

11 year old is my son with processing issue's. But this year he has taken off like never before. He started this year still decoding and has gone up two grade levels in his grammar program (T4L'ing) since July. He loves math. He is an excellent writer, but I haven't given him a lot to do on a daily basis. He is my artist though it shows in his penmanship.

I HAD planned on using "Little Hearts" for my 5&7 year olds who will be 8&6 within the first few months of starting the program. But rather than look at ages I'm looking at their ability. (which I wrote above) I am wondering if I am doing my 7 year old a dis-service by doing "little hearts".

I was planning on using Headsprout.com phonics program for BOTH the younger boys. Which will be simple for my 7 year old at first but it gets meaty pretty quickly.

Here are my thoughts floating through my head:

Option ONE:

Little hearts for 5 & 7 year old. HOwever, I would buy the Beyond manuel for Math and LA for my 7 year old.

Bigger for my 11 year old for everything.

Option TWO:

Beyond hearts for the 5 & 7 year old for everything and math/handwriting/LA for 5 year old from Little hearts.

Bigger for my 11 year old for EVERYTHING.

Option THREE:

This one is based on not moving my 11 year old over to all HOD since he is THRIVING using T4L'ing.

"Little Hearts" for everything for 5 year old.

"Beyond" for 7 year old for everything.

Keep 11 year old in Time4Learning for all subjects but buy DITHOR and the emerging reader set for him to add to Time4Learning.

*** IMPORTANT- The most important factor in my life is that it cannot take my whole day. As much as I dream about being that kind of homeschool mom we are wonderfully plugged into our homeschool community and my boys and I thrive on our co-op and park days! So more is not better, less ='s consistency='s SUCCESS!

Alright, hit me with your best thoughts...,
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:03 am

Hello Mary, I just wanted to hi, I am over from your WP group and just now realizing who you are! LOL!

Well since we are just starting HOD I really have no advice about it, but it sounds like ds, who is 11 has made great strides using T4Ling and I would hesitate changing him if he is doing so well. It seems he has hit upon the perfect format for him to learn. I think you are wise to consider not changing that.

Praying for you to reach the best decision for all involved!!!

Blessings,
Sharon

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 am

i wouldn't change the older one...especially if he's thriving using what he's using

you can easily use "Little" for your youngers...there's alot in ther! i bought botyh "Little" and "Beyond" and i briefly thought of just using "Little" :wink:

it's much easier to "beef up" than it is to come down, IMO

it's hard...pray :wink:
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 am

*** This is not what I've absolutely decided on. Please give me YOUR honest feedback. I just wanted to share what my friend Christa suggested this morning.

Well, I just had an interesting conversation with my girlfriend Christa. She is using HOD this year too. (excited smile)

With that said, she thinks I should order "Beyond" for Seth and use the whole program since he is ready to start writing and getting into MORE this year.

She thinks I should order the "Little Hearts" guide and Math for my Kindergarten son and that alone with is phonics would be fine. He could sit in on Seth's reading if he so desired.

Now, the reason I am open to considering this option is that it works out globally in my home.

My oldest son (16) is going to use ACE. (used for years)

My 11 year old would use T4L'ing and can work on the computer on his own, while I work with Seth.

My 7 year old would do "Bigger" everything.

My 5 year old would do Headsprout.com on my laptop (phonics) and then work on math and the readers together.

I will add DITHOR w/ the two olders along w/ their current programs.

If my 11 year old is reading the emerging readers set can that be used with DITHOR or should I wait until he finishes those?

The only thing I'm not sure of is how this will effect the rest of the years? So I would love to have some advice on that? If I choose this option, this year, how does that effect next year or down the road?

Barbara, Thank YOU! Praying is the best advice ever.My plan is to order on Friday February 1st so I have time to do just that!
Last edited by MamaMary on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:38 am

Sharon wrote:Hello Mary, I just wanted to hi, I am over from your WP group and just now realizing who you are! LOL!

Well since we are just starting HOD I really have no advice about it, but it sounds like ds, who is 11 has made great strides using T4Ling and I would hesitate changing him if he is doing so well. It seems he has hit upon the perfect format for him to learn. I think you are wise to consider not changing that.

Praying for you to reach the best decision for all involved!!!

Blessings,
Sharon
Sharon! It's so good seeing you;-) Leaving Winterpromise was a very difficult decision, but I'm so excited about this new door that is opening. I'm glad to see you here :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:38 am

Good Morning, Mary! WHEW! These are all pretty good scenarios, so that's the good news. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here, and I have two questions for you that I'd like to ponder on your answers for a bit before I answer...

Looking ahead even further than next year, do you want to keep your 5 and 7 year old together?

Also, if you stay with the program your 11 yo is doing (and add in DITHR), how long would you "hypothetically" be able to stay with the other program?

I know your answers to these questions may change over time, but if you could just share how you'd answer them now, I think other ladies will weigh in here too. Happy Monday, hon'!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:42 am

Mary -
You're just too fast for me! I missed your additional info., so if you are happy and satisfied with your dear friend's suggestion, than I say go for it!
Keep on, keepin' on, and you'll know!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:46 am

my3sons wrote:Good Morning, Mary! WHEW! These are all pretty good scenarios, so that's the good news. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here, and I have two questions for you that I'd like to ponder on your answers for a bit before I answer...

Looking ahead even further than next year, do you want to keep your 5 and 7 year old together?

Also, if you stay with the program your 11 yo is doing (and add in DITHR), how long would you "hypothetically" be able to stay with the other program?

I know your answers to these questions may change over time, but if you could just share how you'd answer them now, I think other ladies will weigh in here too. Happy Monday, hon'!
I don't know if I will want to keep the 5 & 7 year old together? I'm assuming I would?

My 11 year old would go through 8th grade in this other program.

Please tell me your thoughts. I have definitely NOT made up my mind and would love more feedback!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:51 am

Mary, I read your post this morning, typed up my answer, deleted it, went and ate some breakfast, thought some more....

You've gotten some great answers, and I think any of those options would work, and I know you....you'd find a way to make anything work! :wink:

Here's a new one, just for kicks :D
Order Beyond and DITHOR. You could use that with all 3. They could do the history, science, literature studies, Bible all together. Use Drawn to beef up the literature for your 11yo and (then) 8yo. Use your phonics, math and headsprout for 6yo, use Beyond for 8yo, and T4L for 11yo.

This could give you some "bonding" with your together time, and some they would each have their own individual programs going for one-on-one time. It would also give you a feel for the program without jumping in over your head all at once. :wink:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:40 am

Mary first thought is phew because I thought I was losing you to the Olive side hahaha! I am not sure what the answer is because I do not have the experience here but generally being a mom of a few kids myself and knowing it is very important to you to have a life I would say....

Look at the big picture. If you map out what you start with what are they ultimately going to end up with at 8th grade level if you were to use HOD all the way. In the big picture will they be getting everything. Look at where your little guy will be if he is pushed up and where your 7 year old will be if he uses LHFG or BLHFG. Then see how it will work out for each one. Either way since your goal is to have family time together that is not school too I would really try to combine them. I think if you feel like Beyond is more your 7/8 year old's level then maybe you let the little guy tag along with his own phonics and maybe get the Science and the History books from LHFG and just sort of do them as a bedtime story or afternoon cuddle time story or skip it and let him listen to the other books in Beyond.
Also look to see what happens for 7/8 using BLHFG (I am thinking the only thing that he might not like is the Rhyme in Motion however my ten ear ols does it. :lol:

But ultimately since you have said over and over again "it let's you still have a life" don't take that out of the program by trying to have it too perfect. If you have one kid you can have it perfect. Any more than one then hey life is never perfect :lol:

Either way I hope you find peace. I try to do the best I can ahead of time then I pull the trigger and try it because there is the proof. You want to be as careful as possible but you will not know for sure in our heart until you give it a whirl. I personally think you can't go wrong as long as you have a plan for where they end up later and do not drive yourself crazy trying to do it all Ms. Super Woman. :wink: (said with love from one super woman to another, hehehehe!)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:56 am

WOW, I love all this feedback! Melanie, you are a true Olive. You deleted your post to have breakfast and think about it. That makes me feel special. You "really" took time out of your life to give me some solid feedback. (((Appreciative Hugs)))

Water2Wine, You crack me up! You were worried I was going to the other side. You gave some excellent thoughts. I cannot wait to hear what Carrie says.

Right now I am leaning towards BEYOND being our family main course, along w/ the boys interest book pack, but will purchase little hearts for the Math and R&S LA books. I am also adding the emerging reader set and DITHOR.

However, I am open to more information that could change that plan! :wink:

Ok, off to ride rollercoasters with my boys!
Mary :shock:

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:05 pm

HI-just throwing this your way, as I am a fan of combining when possible. I think Little Hearts would be plenty for your two youngers, and it would be eady to add to if neccesary for your 7 year old. It seems they would both benefit from plenty of phonics instruction and Singapore Math Earlybird looks like a great start for most if you choose it, but definitely use the placement test for your 7 year old (unless you already have a different math that works well for him). Your 11 year old sounds like a good fit for Bigger. Many ladies are successfully doing 2 programs at once, and it does not take them all day :) It's also less complicated :shock: Just my $.02.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Mary,

I knew those posts to julien would get you thinking again! I have an older sister, whom I love dearly, that could be your twin! By the way she is a wonderful mother of 7, an excellent teacher, and a true superwoman, so that's a compliment! :wink:

As I look at the things that your 5 and 7 year old are currently doing in reading and writing and look down the road, I have a couple concerns with doing "Beyond..." for them both. One concern is that your 5 year old will never be able to make the switch to "Bigger..." the following year and that is what comes next.

That would mean long-term your poor 5 year old will be dragging along behind trying to catch up in each program. On the other hand, if you do combine your 5 and 7 in "Little Hearts..." (and do the math and light language arts and spelling from "Beyond..."), you won't be rushing (and missing the fun of "Little Hearts...) with your 5 year old and your 7 year old will have time needed to concentrate on language arts and math.

I can also see your 5 and 7 year old the following year being able to stay together in "Beyond..." at ages 6 and 8 (with adjustments again in language arts and math for your 8 year old -probably following the language arts and math part in "Bigger...). So, my advice now is to do both your 5 and 7 in "Little Hearts...".

As far as your 11 year old goes, I am familiar with Time4learning, as we used it for 1 and 1/2 years (for math only) for my oldest son in the last half of grade 4 and in grade 5. He did enjoy it, and it worked well for that season of his life. But I did find that it didn't require him to write much at all (which at first was great, but later seemed like something I was trying to compensate for). Also, as the math concepts got harder the explanations weren't as clear, so I needed to sit with him more and more to explain things. Now, this may be very different from your situation, and I do think it can be a great answer for certain areas (like the grammar you mentioned). Only you will know how much he is thriving on it and loving it.

So, that being said, I do think some gentle nudging in the direction of writing a little more, listening to some harder read-alouds and moving toward more reading on his own would be so helpful to him life-long. So, I think doing "Bigger..." with him would still be a good idea, yet I think you could keep the things from Time4learning that are working best for him (possibly grammar and math?). I also think that until he finishes the Emerging Reader Set, you wouldn't need to start DITHR. We really want kiddos to be past the emerging stage when coming into DITHR.

Doing "Bigger..." would allow him to use some real living books for science and history, nudge him in writing more, give him some hands-on activities and Bible discussion, and nudge him in the language arts as well. The read-alouds in the Storytime part of "Bigger.." also have great discussion that is really a mini-literature study. You could have your 7 year old listen in and discuss the storytime section too. I did this last year by reading aloud to everyone at lunch at then doing the storytime box activities with them all right after. Even my 5 year old sat in on this part while eating and enjoyed it!

Then, your 11 year old would be ready to go on to Preparing Hearts... the following year and your two younger would move on to "Beyond...". All of you could always come together for the read-alouds from "Beyond..." the following year, keeping that a together time if you choose.

Anyway, there's the best long-term look I can give you. Only you can truly know what's best. Sorry this was so long-winded, but I know this is so important to you, and I want to thoroughly answer your questions.

I'll pray that the Lord will give you peace in your decision. By the way, your dear friend Christa sounds precious!

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Yeah... what Carrie said! (borrowing a fellow HODer's words!('8)') I have been thinking along those same lines, and I think her explanation is right on. I think, like water2wine said so well, looking down the road at the big picture is key, or we'll all be right back here next year, scratching our heads, saying "now, what for dear Mary's honeys?", and poor Melanie may never get her breakfast peacefully eaten! (I'd revised my message to dear Mary multiple times as well, Melanie!)

Well, my point is the littlest darling will not be ready for Bigger... in another year, so let's get you going down a path you can happily continue on from here. I have jumped ahead too fast in the past, and then felt like I "shot myself in the foot" (I'm hoping this is not just a SD phrase) as I floundered for a year with a bunch of I-don't-want-to-remember-that-year kind of memories (I had to take a year off of HOD because of it and hated it.) So, if you feel comfortable with that, I think it's a good path to hop on. I'll pray for you to have peace with a decision, Mary, hope some of this helps!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:53 pm

You guys are so right....for some reason I had in my head that your boys were going to already be 6 and 8 and I was just thinking, hey...if they finish out the year with what they're using now, by this fall....and you can see how I just should've had another snack :roll: and another diet DP :wink:

It's been said on here so many times, but apparently I need to hear it again....easier to beef up than....
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02