Give your opinion on developing Bible quiet time habit

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Re: Give your opinion on developing Bible quiet time habit

Post by MamaMary » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:54 pm

Carrie wrote: 1. Develop the habit of a daily quiet time
2. Be in the word daily, reading and interacting with the Scripture with interest
3. Develop the habit of prayer as personally talking to God
4. Recognize the different parts of prayer and practice using them
5. Commit entire Bible passages to memory
6. Copy the Bible passages in a keepsake book to add to throughout the years as other passages are memorized
Carrie, I just love that you allow us to be a part of your processing. The incredible thought you put behind each and every part of your program is remarkable. I am so happy that my youngest son will get to go all the way through with HOD. I am just sad that my oldest missed it;-( I love your plan! LOVE IT!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Carrie,

I think your plan sounds wonderful! :D And I wholeheartedly agree with your goals and reasoning behind how you're laying this out! :D I am thrilled to be able to use HOD with my kids!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Carrie wrote: The children will be reading about the Old Testament times through the eyes of the Hebrew people. They will also be reading the entire gospel of John and the first 12-13 chapters of Acts to get a very Bible-based look at the life of Christ on earth and the spread of the gospel.

Along with their readings, the kiddos will be making a prophecy fulfillment chart, keeping a timeline, writing written narrations on the Bible stories, reading and discussing the first 11 chapters of Genesis deeply with guided questioning, studying the geography of the Bible lands with mapwork, listening and outlining Diana Waring's talks on the ancient times which focus on the inerrancy of the Bible through the study of history, and making a New Testament lapbook that emphasizes the life and teachings of Christ. As you can see many of the ideas that each you shared in this thread will already be included throughout the Bible study portion of the program. :D

1. Develop the habit of a daily quiet time
2. Be in the word daily, reading and interacting with the Scripture with interest
3. Develop the habit of prayer as personally talking to God
4. Recognize the different parts of prayer and practice using them
5. Commit entire Bible passages to memory
6. Copy the Bible passages in a keepsake book to add to throughout the years as other passages are memorized
Carrie,

I am over joyed! This all is amazing. I can't wait. And I am so grateful that you have done something that is a huge need in the homeschooling area for Christians. You are covering this in a way that has not been done before and to me what you are doing is huge with this time period. It has a huge impact for my family I will tell you that. My heart was torn on this period for almost everything out there and the things I did like were not complete to me and hitting my hearts desire on this period. Carrie I love your program and have really what I need but this has been a huge concern on my heart ot find just the right thing to cover this time period not just the history but all of it. There are things that I like (I think you hit most of them hahaha!) but nothing that brought it all together the way I wanted and with the focus of my conviction that I knew I needed. I am just over joyed that you are capturing it and that I will be able to use it with all my children. I feel like another huge part of why I am with HOD for good has been revealed. Thank you! I love all of it and I can't wait to use it. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 pm

Carrie,
I think your plan sounds just right. I agree that this is something we must treat carefully to develop a love in our children instead of having them dread it.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 pm

I think the plan looks wonderful...and I look forward to the time when we will be using the ancients guide. Establishing good, regular quiet times is key to a vibrant relationship with Christ, and I'm so excited that my kids will get to learn (and me with them) how at such an early age. Thanks for all your hard work, and for considering our needs and desires as well. :) May God continue to richly bless you and your family.

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:01 am

Carrie,
Your plan sounds great! I'm sure the Lord will bless your efforts as you seek to honor Him.
Looking forward to using this next year....
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 am

Carrie, I am so very impressed with what you are planning! It's wonderful to see your thought processes and reasoning behing the decisions you are making. It makes perfect sense and I am looking forward to getting to use it! It (almost) makes me wish my kids were a little older so we could get to it sooner!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 am

Carrie,
Thank you for being so open and sharing your ideas with us! My son is still little so this doesn't really matter for me yet, but I can't wait to go through all the HOD guides with my son. He is loving Little Hands right now and so am I!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Oh my goodness! I was so excited when I read your plan, Carrie! I am so thankful that the Lord has led us here. This is the ONLY curriculum I know that has included teaching children how to have a quiet time. This is worth its weight in gold. How many grown-up Christians do you know that have never been taught that?? By teaching these kids now, we are equipping them not only in their own lives, but helping them so that they may equip others in the same way. Did I mention that I am excited!! :D I love that your heart has as its first priority to teach the children to love the Lord for the rest of their lives and to equip them to grow in that relationship as they grow older. That is my heart's first priority as well. What I love is that we are not doing "school" over here and "Bible" over here. Everything is just life - put together - learning about God in a personal way and learning the required subjects as well - but not all disjointed. I am one happy homeschooler!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

wdworkman

Post by wdworkman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:54 am

What would you like to see within your child's daily quiet time?

I think I'd like to have some definite objectives for quiet time each day. Think about how you can show this trait in your life today; think about ways you can glorify God when doing errands this week; think about how you can touch someone's life today; etc. I know that our minds will always wander as God leads us, but I think it helps get our mind going to have a very specific question.

What would you like to see in the way of Scripture memorization? Would you prefer your kiddos to learn key verses or would you prefer for you kiddos to learn entire passages?

Maybe memorization of key verses along with discussion of the whole passage over a one or two week period.

What would you like to see in the way of prayer?

Something I often forget - a reminder to look back & thank God for all the answered prayers

Momto1

Post by Momto1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:01 am

Your plan sounds wonderful! I didn't give an opinion because I have just started using LHTH but, I am looking forward to using your future guides. You Bible quiet time plan looks great. Thanks for your all your hard work!
:)
God Bless You!
Karen
DS-4
DH - married 19 years to my best friend

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:59 am

Carrie, your plans sound wonderful! I can't wait to use this guide next year. :D Will you have samples up any time soon?

Allison

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks so much ladies for all your input in on this VERY important topic! :wink: I am blessed by your sharing and your encouragement. I did also want to mention that I know a formal Bible study guide can be part of a quiet time as well, and in later guides we may very well incoroporate some of that as part of the quiet time. But, for the ancient's guide (since the Bible study portion is already covered through Genesis: Finding Our Roots), I was looking for a different feel in the quiet time portion of the day. Those are the ideas that I was keying into with the very helpful discussion and sharing that each of you contributed. I can't thank you gracious ladies enough for sharing your hearts with me! :D

Blessings,
Carrie