Another lapbooking question!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

Another lapbooking question!

Post by happyhomeschooling » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:18 pm

I know there was a post in recent days on to lapbook or not to lapbook. I read all the post and checked out the web sites
and I think this would be a wonderful addition to our HOD curriculum (not that HOD in and of itself isn't already SPECTACULAR :!: )

My dd(almost 6) is so hands on and her strength is arts and crafts, so I was thinking a lapbook would not only give her a
huge outlet for her artsy side, but will give her an extra added hands on affection for a particular topic. We are doing LHFHG
right now. Was wondering (because I have never lapbooked in my life, only just recently heard the term) if any one could give
me idea's on how you have personaly used lapbooking with HOD? I would love to hear how you have implimented this into your
homeschooling.( more specifically......, how much time do you spend on it ,how long do you work on it....do you spread it our over a unit, once a week ect. do you do Hod subjects or extra curricular topics of intrest ect.)
Thank you as always for taking time to help! I know I am a very green homeschooling mom, and I so appriciate
all you ladies(wiser and more expirienced then I) who always have fantastic advice and ideas!
Lord Bless, Lesley
Last edited by happyhomeschooling on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Emilylou

Re: Another lapbooking question!

Post by Emilylou » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:54 pm

My son is 5 and doing LHFHG. We do some lapbooking with our Five in a Row books. I haven't made anything to go along with HOD but I am sure it would be easy.

You could do a lapbook on the Egypt, 10 Commandments, soil and plants, Day of Creation- God created "this" on the 5th day book.

Hope this helps- I think there are a lot of free lapbook ideas on the internet.

Good luck~
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:07 pm

My daughter is 5 and working through LHFHG. We have done 2 lapbooks. One on the Olympics and one on the 10 Commandments. Both we did for about 1/2 an hour only after she finished the LHFHG and each took us about 2 weeks to complete. If she wasn't in the mood to work on a lapbook activity on a particular day then we just didn't work on the lapbook that day. We did the Olympics one because I thought it would be a good time to introduce her to the Olympics and the significance of them. We did the 10 Commandments because I really wanted to reinforce what each commandment is all about and for her to memorize them. I plan to start a Thanksgiving lapbook sometime in early November and then do a Christmas one. After that I am leaning towards an addition one or we may work on it in between the others here and there since she is really interested in adding right now. I am not consistent with lapbooking. I just add it in when we have extra time during the day and it is something that I think she would enjoy learning about. Really LHFHG is so complete that lapbooking is not necessary but she has enjoyed having the folders to look through and doing the activities.

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:37 pm

me!!!
We have done lapbooks on the pilgrims, thanksgiving, apples, "all about me", and...one other that went with the HOD topic we were on. We did a little bit each day as part of the day's work, so it was kind of like "extra" not like replacement, kwim?
I'm not yet brave enough to completely do a lapbook without an outline, so we have a ton of them from various publishers-mostly from currclick dot com. I also google "free lap books" and get a zillion hits. Sometimes with the pre printed ones ,we don't do every single thing, we just use one folder and do a few of the activities. That helps keep it to a week's work, and keeps them interested!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:21 pm

We lapbook. We do it here and there and just on things that I really want to dig deeper. We did one on the armor of God, we have done the HITW OT and NT, we did one on Easter and I think we did a nature one too. We have also done some science. I guess I mostly tend to make it either Bible, science or character. We tend to take a day or two and just do them when we do them. The reason for that is with six kids lapbooking spells big mess. And I kind of just like to jump into them and just focus on that. We do most of it on breaks or on our Fridays. I am working on a craft room in our house so I think we may do more of it when we get that complete. But we do really enjoy them. They are fun for them and I think they do help them to learn deeper. To me it is a thing that can be whatever you want. I mean honestly you could lapbook your timeline if you wanted and have informational flaps below them. I do have a little mail file box that helps kind of keep each child's in order until the complete them. That is something I have found helps keep it all together if you want to do a long term lapbook. Our Bible ones tend to be more long term.

You could easily lapbook all your history in HOD and the science. You could lapbook the Bible verses with a verse reference on the top of the flap and open it up to the verse. Then you could connect the history to the character that was taught as it is done in HOD. The ultimate Lap Book Handbook is a good general book if you want to make your own lapbooks. I think that is a good way to go so you enforce what they are learning rather than add a ton more to it.

Anyway hope that is not too scattered I am not forming clear thoughts today for some reason. Hope it helps anyway. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Ooh, water2wine,

I have to ask how the NT lapbook from HITW went over at your house? I am also wondering at how much work it was and whether your kiddos were able to do it quite independently (once you had printed off all of the materials). We have ordered it and are considering using it in the new ancients guide to go along with our reading through the gospel of John and the first 13 chapters of Acts at the end of the year. We will test it here too, but would love your opinion on it, since you've already done it! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie