Give your opinion: Science in future guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Give your opinion: Science in future guides

Post by Carrie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Shannon,

If you get a chance to read my responses throughout the thread (especially the one on the previous page of this thread) I think you'll find that my answers are very thorough. So, right now until my oldest son enters high school we have nothing new to add to the science discussion. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Carrie,

I absolutely am blessed that you are asking the involvement of the Mom's and knowing that you will prayerfully consider the requests made. It is so far removed from us yet to even think of upper level science in the ancient guides, but after reading all the other Mom's have said I wanted to add to it as well.

We learned about virus's and how the immune system goes to work and my son got a fever yesterday and tonight he sat on the floor yelling "Virus, virus, emergency, B-cells, antibodies....killer cells". It was great! he got it....

1. First of all, what do you think about this type of a science structure?
I think it is great to do 1 subject each year and focus more in depth on it and build upon it for the year. It would be great to have a little spiral in their to cement what was learned over the whole year and reinforce it. Also excited not to go too deep into the physics at this point!

2. Secondly, what do you desire to see in a science program (assignment/experiment/reading-wise)?
Your science experiments and how you pull it together really help the kids learn and understand. I also love the hypothesis and teaching the children to think about our surroundings and pull information from what they have, heard, read, seen or just guess. The drawings of the experiment are like the icing on the cake. I think it makes it their own (no matter how it looks to Mom at this young age). I understand that they will become more and more independent as the guides go up so it will be great to have extra reading material and even point us to other books or websites to help add to the experiment or have Mom go read up so she is prepared for any questions if she has inquisitive kiddo's. Introducing and preparing them for high school science by easing them in to scientific vocabulary will be appreciated as well.
I absolutely love the ease and the use of household items in the experiments. We know that you have thought of the ease and the budget for the families using HOD and that you will keep it as low cost as possible.

3. Thirdly, how have you covered science in your experiences prior to HOD and what have your feelings been on the success of your science study?
Growing up in South-America we had limited science experiences. Mostly just text book. I started off my homeschool career with HOD and have loved the science, the experiments and how you pull it together. I think it will be great for the science to stand alone in the latter guides to give the families that have either already used the resources in prior years or want more in depth science the change to add their own science and still be able to be blessed with other parts of HOD.
So, to make a long story short I have been blessed only knowing the ease of science through your curriculum and loving it!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

2girls2teach

Post by 2girls2teach » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Thank you 'Jen in VA' for explaining the Physical Science! That makes sense.

I am not sure yet what college she would like to attend as that hasn't been discussed in depth. I have mention N. Greenville Univ. in SC, but will have to see what field she would like to go into. So far she is big on animals and is up in the air about being a veteranarian. She likes rescue (watches a lot of Animal Cops on Animal Planet). I have been teaching her some cooking lately and she has also thought about Culinary! I don't see her quite stable on her choice yet, which is fine, since she is only 12:) I definitely want her to learn Biology, Chemistry and Physics for HS Science. (I didn't even learn Chem. and Physics!! - YIKES!) And I would like her to do disection labs too (will HOD implement that?? - Carrie?). The HOD lab sheets and notebooking will be new to her too. We will be starting HOD in the fall. I wish I discovered HOD 3 years ago!! Better late than never:)

In Him,
Tricia

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:09 am

I'm with Mama Mary on this one that I think it should be divided at this age level. I'd save the entire year of a single science topic for high school levels when kids can grasp the depth of the topics in a more disciplined manner. I'm so deep, aren't I? :roll:

As far as previous science, we'ver never gotten it done. It went by the wayside, until HOD that is. Other programs were so involved so young and who can spend an hour or more on science in elementary years? And why? We just want appetizers, not the whole entree. :D I absolutely despise experiments where you have to save household items for a year to do these experiments. I know of some who needed 5 glass jars for one experiment. :shock: Good grief! That's a lot of pickles! Although I suppose some canning jars are cheap enough.

Anyway, I love a good supply list too, household or not.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

sted

Post by sted » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:09 am

Hi Carrie,
I loved :D your explaination of your philosophy for science in the middle grades!
It makes a lot of sense. It even gave me confidence to stick with programs that may be slightly "lower level" than grade level, if they are enjoying it and it is getting done! Too high of expectations and nothing gets done or finished!

Thanks again,
Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:08 pm

sted wrote:Hi Carrie,
I loved :D your explaination of your philosophy for science in the middle grades!
It makes a lot of sense. It even gave me confidence to stick with programs that may be slightly "lower level" than grade level, if they are enjoying it and it is getting done! Too high of expectations and nothing gets done or finished!

Thanks again,
Shannon
Yep....totally makes sense. :D
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One cat
One dog

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:43 am

Science....one of my boys favorite subjects. Here goes my 2 cents....

1. First of all, what do you think about this type of a science structure? I never was much of a unit study person but it has been nice in the lower guides having tied into history. I think it has helped with retention and interest. With that being said I also like the idea as they get older having a focus on science for the year. Before HOD that was how I planned science. I feel it helps with retention and interest as well. The textbook approach of jumping around in subjects doesn't seem to offer that. I would vote for a focus each year.

2. Secondly, what do you desire to see in a science program (assignment/experiment/reading-wise)? I want something that challenges my kids thinking. I love how HOD has the kiddos guess what they think the answer is to a experiment. It is interesting to see how they think. Carrie you do a wonderful job of pacing the information so the kids are not being overwhelmed with information. I want to see their science experience progressively get harder and more in depth. Carrie just the path you have laid out for us. Thank you for the great job you are doing. I guess that means my vote is to keep doing what you are doing. :D

3. Thirdly, how have you covered science in your experiences prior to HOD and what have your feelings been on the success of your science study? In the past I have tried @ 4 science curriculums (yes I am a recovering curriuculum junkie) There were things I liked about all of them. I will list them in no particular order.
living books -
short tidbits at a time
focus on God
experiements appropiate for age - not too hard that the idea was missed
The success was not that great b/c we were not consistent. They just didn't hold our interest. I believe it has to do with the young age of my boys. It had no relevance. A problem solved since our switch to HOD. Plus I was planning when we did what, and I can be over ambitious. Another reason I love HOD it is planned for me in portions that are realistic.

One of the reasons I didn't want to do HOD was I didn't think the science was enough. However I see it is more than enough because my sons actually remember what we have learned. That wasn't always happening before. I am convinced. Great job Carrie!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Ladies,

Thanks so much for sharing! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your responses to this thread and am glad it was bumped back up the board again, so all of you had another chance to peek at it and respond. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 pm

I just want to say that I find it very helpful when Carrie gives the reasoning behind her curriculum choices/direction.
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

annaz

Post by annaz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 pm

birchbark wrote:I just want to say that I find it very helpful when Carrie gives the reasoning behind her curriculum choices/direction.
Yes! I wish this info was in the catalog. I think if I knew a lot of reasons behind the plans, it would be extremely helpful. It gives insight to where they're going and what they want to accomplish and why. I've printed out a lot of threads, for example; one on mapping and how it builds on itself. That gives oodles of insight. It enables us to not give up on a curriculum because we're not sure the final outcome, or whether they hit on certain topics, or even just freaking out by doing the "wait and see if it's covered".

I've dumped curriculum, because I didn't know where it was going. Some I would have kept knowing the full reasoning behind it.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One cat
One dog

andreamichele13

Post by andreamichele13 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Carrie,

WOW! Thank you SOO much for your thorough explanation of the Science route you take for middle students. This is EXACTLY what I am struggling with right now for my 7th grader, and you answered everything perfectly and with so much sense. I love that you strive for balance. You are so right....we used one of the sciences that you mentioned above this year, and it was both long and arduous, and many of the "ingredients" and supplies needed I didn't even know what they were or where to get them! I just LOVE your philosophy on how to teach science and it just makes so much sense to me. THANK YOU!!!!! You just solidified my science route for next year! :)
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6
one on the way in September 2014!

tjneary99

Post by tjneary99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Carrie,
"For example, the new ancients guide would focus on Life Science. Then, the next guide's science box would focus on Earth Science. The following guide's science box would be focused on Physical Science, and the last guide's science box would be an overview of Chemistry/Physics most likely done biographically (so as not to require a higher level of math for working formulas) and a look at the creation/evolution debate. "

So, here's some questions I'd love you to brainstorm through if you have a minute....
1. First of all, what do you think about this type of a science structure?
I like it and prefer it to quarterly rotation, because I think it helps with retention and meeting state requirements.

2. Secondly, what do you desire to see in a science program (assignment/experiment/reading-wise)?
Having taught middle school science and now HOD Bigger after switching from a different curriculum, I personally love the way you have done it in Bigger--notebooking, easy to manage experiments based on the readings, some copywork etc...For future grades, I think I favor less bombardment of facts to understanding how things work together in this amazing world God created. I prefer my kids come away with understanding concepts and being able to apply it than memorization without a real grasp of why they are learning it. That has always been my complain with sciences in the past. So I think interesting readings with some experiments/assignments that relate to the readings and tie everything together is great. I love how you do this in Bigger. I bought Apologia if they or I wanted to supplement, but we have not used it. I like what Apologia has, but I think my kids are enjoying science more and learning more with your schedule and materials. I like the overview of different topics at these younger ages. Also, I agree that when too much is needed for experiments or when there are too many to do, it is less likely to get done well and becomes drudgery for all.

3. Thirdly, how have you covered science in your experiences prior to HOD and what have your feelings been on the success of your science study?
Last year, I was new to homeschooling. I had no science curriculum to follow per se, I chose the Kingfisher books on weather, flight etc and we read them and did the activities. It was a fine overview which we liked--just picked what we wanted to learn. I did not care for the randomness of it for their age--it did not go with the rest of our studies. I prefer having things integrated more for younger kids. That being said, for HS, it is not as important. Now, I am building a foundation and encouraging memory work and other cognitive skills, so I prefer integrated subjects for building retention, encouraging critical thinking skills development and maintaining interest. I also love the Scriptures in the Bigger science. Also, this year, prior to switching to HOD, we began with an Abeka book which was very heavy on vocabulary, and the experiments were not engaging to my kids or me-just too much info--very exhausting and overwhelming. The best part was use of Scriptures, but I do not want my kids brains being filled with info that leaves them exhausted and not able to think critically i.e remaining on the lower level of Bloom's taxonomy most of the year just doesn't mean success to me. That was a failure for us----too many facts and new words, not enough meaningful learning. It is important to me that my kids can think, evaluate, synthesize, critique, defend etc...and since science and faith often collide in the culture, I want to equip my kiddos by encouraging thinking and speaking skills so that they have evaluated things in their minds, with a strong foundation in God's Word that they can be contenders for the faith and have it be personal to them..not just regurgitating what mom and dad have taught them. I love the idea of the evolution/creation topic being a part of the curriculum. Well I hope my random thoughts make sense. You are most gracious to ask our opinions and I feel a bit ill equipped to offer mine, but I appreciate you asking and pray the Lord continue to provide you with wisdom and clear direction in how to proceed going forward. Blessings, Jennifer
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17[/color]

Daph

Post by Daph » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:28 am

I like that idea. I'm sure you're already aware, but Apologia has some amazing Science books for older students. I'm wondering how you deal with the required Biology experiments, though.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

my2beauties

Post by my2beauties » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Carrie wrote:Right now, we have our plan in place to write guides through grade 8. We will continue to be in prayer over what the Lord wishes for us to do after that. :D Our plan is to eventually make at least a listing available of what we've used for our own kiddos for each high school year (to cover all needed areas for distinguised track studies). We have a 7th grader this year, who will be heading into high school all too soon, so we'll be getting our own trial run coming up! :D I hesistate to post any specifics for high school yet, even though we have a pretty good idea, because my best-laid plans can be prone to change! :wink: Just be assured that we will be more than happy to help and guide HOD customers with suggestions on how to fulfill high school requirements as needed. 8)

As far as using Apologia, as Mrs. Randolph mentioned, we are planning to use the Zoo. 3 book in our upcoming ancients guide. If you scroll back a page, you'll see our plan. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Hi Carrie,
Have you considered Answers In Genesis for upper grades?
-Lisa