Give your opinion: Science in future guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Teena6

Re: Give your opinion: Science in future guides

Post by Teena6 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:17 pm

Love the discussion. just reading..... :)

I love the elementary apologia sciences.... but no experience with older grades.

have a question.

the next four guides what ages/grades will they be. I am sure you have been asked this LOTS of times. :oops:
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Teena,

We are looking at the age break-down to most likely be as follows:

Ancients: Ages 9-11 with extensions for ages 12-13
Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation: Ages 10-12 with extensions for ages 13-14
Reformation to 1800's or so: Ages 11-13 with extensions for ages 14-15
1800's to Present: Ages 12-14 with extensions for age 15 (we most likely will not extend this for age 16, as sophomores require a more rigorous history schedule, while freshman are still doing geography as their core and can easily add on the history that would be in our guides). :D

Extensions will likely be only history-wise, as science gets trickier to extend content-wise as kiddos get older. It varies so much whether the child (or the family) has a science-bent as to what is considrered "enough" science for that particular kiddo. We will "cover" the sciences according to the state standards but many homeschool families begin to hit science hard in grade 7-8 for very science-minded kiddos (using Rainbow Science or Apologia's upper level programs). This most likely will not be the focus we'll take, as families with that mindset can easily add Apologia's upper level programs or Rainbow science in place of or in addition to our living books science. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:12 pm

1. First of all, what do you think about this type of a science structure?          I like the year-by-year, subject-by-subject approach. That would ease my mind about my children's science education. I think by that age children should be ready for a more rigorous study of science.

2. Secondly, what do you desire to see in a science program (assignment/experiment/reading-wise)?
I would like to see regular, daily science readings and assignments that build on each other. As for experiments, hopefully they would be easy to implement and would cummulate in a report that links with the readings and assignments in a particular subject area. Field trip and extra reading suggestions for those who desire them would also be a great idea.

3. Thirdly, how have you covered science in your experiences prior to HOD and what have your feelings been on the success of your science study?
This is our first year of homeschooling but so far I have supplemented the science with living books, encylopedia entries, a lapbook on a completely different science subject and field trips. Quite frankly, the science as covered in LHFHG just hasn't been enough for my daughter, she wants more and I would have liked to seen more structure, but it has been easy to supplement.

Don't feel like you need to have all the answers, just share away with what your experiences have taught you or what your thoughts are!  Blessings,Carrie[/quote]
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 pm

I love the Apologia books--elementary and Jr. High (by different authors). It would be very beneficial to have the new Apologia book that you are looking at designed into your plans. The elementary Apologia science books have been the most successful science that we have completed at our house. We have also used Abeka (very OK to average) and MFW (we did well with the Apologia books they schedule, not so well with the others). I have liked the CDs from Live and Learn that coordinate with the Apologia elementary books as they have helped my older ones retain the scientific terms. Plus, they add pictures and make a nice reference notebook. This is one area I would change with the elementary Apologia books. I would really like a little more direction in the notebooking and some colored pictures that I do not have to search and run off the internet for their notebooks and for checking retention of the material. For example, we are currently using Zoo 2 (with 3 of mine). I would have loved to have a colored picture of a whale spouting with directions to write "Marine Animal" underneath and blanks to fill in "Kingdom Anamalia, Order Cetacea" . Then I would have liked a picture of a baleen whale and a toothed whale for the child to label and perhaps a picture with a fluke and a blowhole to label. Perhaps then they could circle which one tends to be bigger--baleen or toothed. Then they could write one sentence or have a copywork sentence at the bottom. Can you tell I have thought about this? It never hurts to ask, right?! I cannot comment on HOD science because we are using Beyond (with 2 of mine) for the first time and are only on week 5. However, we are really enjoying it so far. That makes sense though, because there is a "textbook" type spine supplemented with "doable" experiments. I do take pictures and have them write a short summary even with Beyond. I don't tend to do well with Usborne books as a spine or too technical of spines. I will be looking forward to seeing the direction you take with science in the upper guides. I could certainly use help as this is not my favorite subject to teach.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:38 am

Carrie wrote: We are looking at the age break-down to most likely be as follows:

Ancients: Ages 9-11 with extensions for ages 12-13
Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation: Ages 10-12 with extensions for ages 13-14
Reformation to 1800's or so: Ages 11-13 with extensions for ages 14-15
1800's to Present: Ages 12-14 with extensions for age 15 (we most likely will not extend this for age 16, as sophomores require a more rigorous history schedule, while freshman are still doing geography as their core and can easily add on the history that would be in our guides).

Yay! This follow up schedule to Preparing is absolutely wonderful. Now, I realize that God will lead as God will lead :) , but this schedule will give my littler ones (my older ds is too old to go all the way through and still get high school history in a cycle :( ) a perfect history cycle before we do the cycle again at the high school level. This is the first time in 7 years of homeschooling that I don't already have the "curriculum itch"--you know, that need to see what else is out there that we will use next year because this isn't quite working--nope, this is working beautifully. :) My boys have never been happier with school. Even the 15 year old has commented on how well it's going this year and how happy her oldest brother seems. Thanks, Carrie!!

j_croche

Post by j_croche » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm new, but I'm bumping this b/c I've enjoyed reading all of the posts. :D
Jenni, Mom to a handful of blessings
Ds19 College
Ds18 Highschool Grad
DD15 Homeschool
Ds12 Homeschool
Ds09 Homeschool

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:27 am

Carrie wrote: I am coming to weigh in on what we're thinking more deeply on some of these things, but I want everyone to have a chance to give their 2 cents!
I can't wait to hear more about what you are thinking Carrie!!!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Carrie, this all looks so good....can we BEG you to write guides through highschool???? :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:12 am

holyhart wrote:Carrie, this all looks so good....can we BEG you to write guides through highschool???? :D
I'll second that begging. :!:
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 am

I'm begging too!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:15 pm

I'm begging 4th too. Please? :D Please (stomps feet) :x LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Ladies,

You are TOO funny! :lol: :lol: I guess we should never say never, as I'd not anticipated writing guides through grade 8! So, we'll need to leave it in the Lord's hands, but I appreciate your votes of confidence. I am note-taking on the ideas throughout this thread and have been pondering them for awhile. We have some exciting thoughts on the science that we'll be sharing on this thread soon. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Ha! I almost came on the board today to post a vote for HOD high school! :D At least for 9th and 10th grades... (after that I think we might do dual enrollment with community college...)

So- you have ANOTHER VOTE too!
I would love HOD high school... :D

You very definitely have my vote of confidence,
Rebecca

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Carrie,
I'm behind reading up on the board messages. I was just wondering if any updates to this thread have been posted recently. This note was the end of Oct.
I love hearing about the new Ancients guide and I'd love to see a thread where all the latest info on the new guide could be gathered to read in one spot <hint, hint!> :)
Charlene

by Carrie on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Ladies,

You are TOO funny! I guess we should never say never, as I'd not anticipated writing guides through grade 8! So, we'll need to leave it in the Lord's hands, but I appreciate your votes of confidence. I am note-taking on the ideas throughout this thread and have been pondering them for awhile. We have some exciting thoughts on the science that we'll be sharing on this thread soon.

Blessings,
Carrie
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Charlene,

You are SO right! I need to update this thread, and I had intended to do it before now! :D Luckily, I have you wonderful ladies to keep me on track.

I am off to work on the new cover for our new book this evening, but I WILL get back to this thread soon. 8)

I also need to get a folder up for the new guide, so we can start compiling these threads in ONE place. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie