Let's share our schedules!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
juliekay

Re: Let's share our schedules!

Post by juliekay » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Hello! This is our schedule for five children. We are currently using Preparing with 3 different ages and LHTH for the 2 little ones.
08:00-09:00 Wake Up & a simple breakfast
09:00-09:30 Older 2 begin math knowing it will be put on hold as soon as mom comes in the schoolroom.
09:30-10:00 Little ones watch a DVD while older 3 begin school with Bible Study immediately followed by Storytime.
10:00-10:15 Reading about History. Little ones playing with Little People quietly on the floor.
10:15-11:00 Research & History Project. (Older 2 on their own while I answer questions & 8 y.o. works right with me.)
11:00-11:30 LHTH with little ones while the older 3 proceed with independent work in Science, Math, L.A. & History Study
11:30-12:00 Lunch prep & lunch
12:00–12:30 Baby down for nap; Outside play for the older ones.
01:00-01:30 4 y.o has a craft project or play dough while I take turns doing dictation & grammar with 3 older children.
02:00-03:00 Finish independent work in Science, L. A. or History Study, Greek or Latin (My 8 y.o. works with mom!) Baby wakes in this hour.
3:00 Tidy up time & then free time.
4:30 Dinner prep
5:30 Dinner
6:15-9:00 older boys to swim team or basketball practice. Errands or special story & play time with little ones.
9:00 Baby in bed. Others get ready for bed.
9:30 Story time with Mom in her bed.
10:00 All kids asleep!

I day a week we have piano/violin lessons in the morning & Chess Club in the afternoon and another day we have Math Olympiads competition practice in the afternoon( We skip math that day.) 1 day per month we do a full day co-op and 1 afternoon per month we do a FIAR & Christian character club at our local library– only for the 4 & 8 y.o. old.
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi everyone!
I just thought I would bump this topic, as so many seem to be looking for it lately (me included). :D :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 21, 2010 2:21 pm

The link below is to another thread on our board, where a sweet mom shared her schedule for Preparing Hearts. I thought I'd link her schedule here on the scheduling thread too.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6367&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Carrie I am bumping this up becasuen I am not seeing it as a sticky and this is one I think would help. :D If I missed it just ignore me. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 am

Great idea, water2wine! I'll make it a sticky! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Here is an updated link to Julie's (mythreesons) school schedules.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6514&p=47544&hilit= ... lie#p47544
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:25 pm

I would love to see some 2010 schedules posted! :wink:
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm

I would love to see someones schedule for RTR! :wink:
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 am

Hi April! :D I just made my schedule for RTR (as well as for Bigger Hearts and LHTH). I based it on last year's schedule I used for CTC, Beyond, and half-speed LHTH, which gave us a very manageable happy year. I did blocks of teaching time, rotating them between dc, and having each child take a turn playing with our sweet (yet very busy) toddler. :D I tried to keep assignments they needed to finish on their own towards the end of a block of time, so I could still move on to the next thing if they were taking an extra bit to finish. I also put their math/science at the same times, so I can bop between tables to help as needed. While my olders do math, it is a great time for my toddler to be at the table doing his Kumon books. When they are doing science, he's playing right by us because he loves to watch and be a part of it off and on now and then. For seatwork, it's best if my oldest two aren't by each other, as they distract one another. So, my oldest always does his seatwork at the dining room table, and my middle ds at the kitchen table. The rooms are next to each other, so I can go between them easily if they're doing seatwork at the same time. All read-aloud times are done on our living room couch, with blankets of course. :D Science is in the kitchen. :D

My oldest ds is an early riser, often reading in his room at 6:30 AM or 7:00 AM. Because I like for our dc to have Bible time first in their day, I asked him if he'd like to do it on his own at 7:00 AM in his room instead of waiting to do it at the start of the official "school day". He was thrilled with this idea! Since his BIble quiet time is independent, this will work well and enable us to finish our day earlier too. :D I get to do DITHOR with our 2 dc together this year. We'll do it 3 days a week, as this pacing fits well for them both. (Riley did 12 weeks of half-speed Bigger Hearts last year, with daily DITHOR, he's an excellent reader, so I think he'll be fine dropping to 3 times a week.) So, one of the days, that we don't have DITHOR, we'll finish a half an hour early. I pretty much used the maximum times for things when I planned this schedule, using these links for assistance:

BHFHG time it takes:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=702

RTR time it takes:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7138&p=51937

I am not adding anything to our day, as HOD makes it very complete and keeps it balanced already. I am using HOD's recommended LA and math as well. If a family chooses to add things to the day, or substitutes LA and math that takes longer than the recommended time allotments, time will naturally need to be added to the day. But, my experience with HOD is that if I do the guide as it is written and am diligent about our routine (and I'm not answering the phone or on this lovely board during my homeschooling time :wink: ), I can always finish by lunch. In fact, when I plan for the normal maximum times, time usually begins to "fall off" our day about 2-4 weeks in as the kids learn what each box requires and get down the routine of the day. The times of the schedule become less important once the routine is established. For example, as time fell off the day last year, I told my older ds if he ever finished anything early, he could start working on his independent science box (since this was one of his last things scheduled in the day). He did this at intervals when he got ahead on things, and usually by the time he got to the time it was actually scheduled at the end, he only had a little left to finish (or none). I'm going to tell him to work on his Rotating History Box if he finishes things early this year. Anyway, I'd love to see others' schedules for RTR too, as this will help everyone schedule the new guide! :D Here's the link to the schedule (if you click on it, it will enlarge):

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Marie1225

Post by Marie1225 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:24 am

Wow, I am so impressed with some of these schedules. How do you do it? How do you get your children to work on their own without staring out of the window, fiddling with their fingers, or getting up 3000 times? I have a schedule down on paper, but we can never follow it.
May the Lord bless you in all that you do...

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:52 pm

This is our schedule for CTC with my 10yob. We've been able to get everything done by 1:00 with just a couple of exceptions. He is very excited to accomplish so much and yet be done by 1:00! I actually thought of pushing lunch back to 12:30 so we could say we are done by lunch :-) but 12:00 works better for my older kids...I'd rather us all eat together and not have a starving teens revolt on my hands! LOL!

Oh, we're doing CTC 5 days per week--we have commitments during the winter/spring that require us to take time off here & there, so we're "getting ahead" now! And it is not a burden at all.

7:00 Wake, breakfast, chores
8:00am Bible Quiet Time
8:30 Reading About History
9:00 Storytime (20), History Project (20), Independent History Study (20)
10:00 Bible Study/Geography (20)
10:20 Language Arts (40)
11:00 Poetry
11:30 Math
12:00 Lunch
12:30 Science
1:00 Done!

In the afternoon he practices piano and does some "free" reading.

I'm looking forward to continued good fruit both academically and spiritually as the year goes on!

tollhousemom
10yob: CTC
Plus 2 homeschool high schoolers and 2 homeschool graduates

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:01 am

I have an 8 and 6 year old. They know the basics of evolution and how it does not follow the teachings of the Bible. For example-we did not come from monkeys.

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm

My goal is to start school by 9:30. My oldest is using Teaching Textbooks for math and she loves it so much (this loving math is new since we switched from A Beka to Teaching Textbooks), and she wants to start school before that. She starts about 9 while I shower or clean up my room or whatever I need to be doing. Then at 9:30 we start school with our HOD rhyme and memory verse.

Then we get out the workbook portions of our school day--the little kids math, everyone's handwriting, language, that sort of thing.

As the little ones finish up, they read to me from the Animal Antics series of readers (I don't know if these are used in HOD or not, they're phonetic readers that my kids love).

We're usually done with that portion of our schooltime by 11.

I take a break, have some tea, check my e-mail, and make lunch.

At lunch I read the history portions of my little HOD curriculum. My oldest and I discuss whichever American Girl book she's been reading.

In the afternoon my oldest does her independent reading during Quiet Time.
At this point we're not using the Old Mother West Wind read aloud. I checked it out from the library but I haven't looked at it yet. I keep hoping to find it on cd. The little kids are listening to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle this week, and The Courage of Sarah Noble next week.

I would really fail as a public school parent with all that homework to do in the evening!
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science
Kindergarten & 1st Grader: Little Hearts for His Glory, CLE Math, CLE Language

Kim S

Post by Kim S » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Mine is not really a schedule but I will share. I am using LHFHG

First thing when we start we do our weekly verse. Then we move on to the history read aloud then if there is a bible read aloud we do that. Then the science. Then read the read aloud story next. Then we move to the table where he does his sit down work or craft of whatever then we are done. I do not do all the hands on activities.

My older two (highschool) they just start and do their work on their own and I help when and if needed. That is really how my day goes.
Kim S in Northeast Tennessee
Mom to 5 blessings Jamie 19, Sloane 16, Savannah 15, Collin 6, and Judah 3
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

lharris

Post by lharris » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 am

I doubt anyone has my schedule :) but I will post anyway. I am a working mom 40 hrs. week. My husband and I have alternate schedules and he works nights 3 days a week for 12 hrs. I have to close at work Mondays and Wednesdays so I get home around 8:50 pm those days. We use a 4-day week schedule year 'round to homeschool. I always have wanted the kids to have 4 days in a row with consistent times, so our "school lecture time" runs 2 1/2 - 3hrs from 8:30 pm/9:00(Wed) to 11:30 pm Tuesdays -Fridays. Bedtime for Taylor is midnight and my bedtime is between 1-2 am. It is difficult but it works! I homeschooled my oldest 2 -my son started after freshman year and my daughter finished 5th grade. Carrie's materials were not around then! Then when my youngest was 16 yrs old we had another baby. I vowed his homeschool experience would start from the beginning and I knew I wanted a classical education with Charlotte Mason thrown in. My little boy was 3 1/2 years old when my mom discovered Heart of Dakota and bought Little Hands. The next year, I took the little hands and it became our primary Kindergarten program. Heart of Dakota has been such a blessing ---I wish I could have had the older manuals Carrie has just released when my first two were homeschooling. I even recommend to high schoolers who've never been taught some of these essential skills. Don't miss out on the best material out there!
Laura from Indy
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!