Let's share our schedules!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kayben

Re: Let's share our schedules!

Post by kayben » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 am

Okay, I am hoping this works. I had to print screen and go into paint. Pretty cool. I didn't put the times for each category. I haven't started yet, so I wasn't sure what each category would need. Writing in red means I am working with them. In blue is independent. I will change the schedule as needed once we get into the swing of things. I also realize that Cooper and Abby will not be independent. But I will just switch around giving them games and Lauri activites, educational videos and crib and room time. When the baby arrives, .... welll.....lol! I am definitely just estimating a time frame and we may start earlier or later depending on my oldest getting to school. I am going to try a set kind of meal menu, rotating the lunch and dinner choices on a two week rotation. I just threw that idea on to the spreadsheet accross the schedule because I have seven children, I was able to do each day and have the kids help on any given day. This will of course be a work in progress. I am just hoping that having this written out will at least help me have a framework from which to work. :shock:
Wow these look very small. I wll have to see how to fix this:)
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 am

kayben wrote: I'm not great at this stuff :oops: I can't find "make a PDF" as an option anywhere. When I choose print, I just get all of the normal choices... What am I missing. :?:
thanks
Rebecca:)
I'm not great at it either. I stumbled upon this, and it happened to work. When you choose "Print", and that box comes up with all of the print options, mine says "PDF" near the bottom of the print box. There is a tiny upside down triangle I can click on for menu options in the PDF oval. One of the options is "Save as PDF". I save it to my desktop and then open it from there again. Then, I can do "Save As" and choose JPEG. Our printers might be different though? Hope it works for you!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MommyG

Post by MommyG » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:14 pm

*This is my second time sending this. First time gave me an error. IF this is a duplicate post, I am sorry!*

I thought I would share my schedule with you. This is my basic one. I will fill in the "school time" with specific who/what later. Just thought this would help someone get started. :wink:
Mindi ~ Growing Love, Children, and Gardens in WI.

MommyG

Post by MommyG » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 pm

MommyG wrote:*This is my second time sending this. First time gave me an error. IF this is a duplicate post, I am sorry!*

I thought I would share my schedule with you. This is my basic one. I will fill in the "school time" with specific who/what later. Just thought this would help someone get started. :wink:
FYI: Oh! and I had to SCAN my actually docs into my HP photomart program, then download it to Photobucket. :wink:

kissesmomof4

Post by kissesmomof4 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Mindi, I love how your schedule is laid out. It looks very doable even to a schedule rebel like myself. I might borrow some ideas from it :D Thank you for sharing.
Amanda
Mom of four, homeschooling two M13, D9 going on 10 struggling but making progress

kayben

Post by kayben » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 am

MommyG wrote:
MommyG wrote:*This is my second time sending this. First time gave me an error. IF this is a duplicate post, I am sorry!*

FYI: Oh! and I had to SCAN my actually docs into my HP photomart program, then download it to Photobucket. :wink:
Julie... I don't have the pdf option.. :(

But now I'll try the scanner! Never did that either... Okay, HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PICTURE SO BIG?!! I scanned and saved as a JPEG and then put it on photobucket and it is still tiny? Full size when I open the scan, but then it only shows up little on photobucket and little when I put it in my post. I am really sorry that I am this dense.....how does everyone get their full size schedule on their post?
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

MommyG

Post by MommyG » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:21 am

kissesmomof4 wrote:Mindi, I love how your schedule is laid out. It looks very doable even to a schedule rebel like myself. I might borrow some ideas from it :D Thank you for sharing.
You go ahead and "borrow" all you want. :D :wink: That's how I learnt to do a simple schedule.

Mindi

MommyG

Post by MommyG » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 am

[quote="kayben]Julie... I don't have the pdf option.. :(
But now I'll try the scanner! Never did that either... Okay, HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PICTURE SO BIG?!! I scanned and saved as a JPEG and then put it on photobucket and it is still tiny? Full size when I open the scan, but then it only shows up little on photobucket and little when I put it in my post. I am really sorry that I am this dense.....how does everyone get their full size schedule on their post?[/quote]

YOu are NOT dense. That took me more than an hour to figure out and get done!! :shock: :lol:
I actually was a little embarrassed that it was SO big. lol I really don't know why it turned out that way. When I scanned it, I used the HP photosmart program. I downloaded that offline/from the website. In the program, it allowed me to "Edit" it. I just "cropped"/"resized" it that way. Not sure what size it is. Will look later. Have an appt. right now.

Mindi

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:48 am

Ladies,

I need some help with trying to figure out how to schedule 4 different ages. We are going to be using Beyond, the right side of Preparing, DITHR, and LHTH. I am having trouble figuring out how to schedule subjects that the children need me one on one for like math, LA, read alouds, etc.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:07 pm

Terri,

I will say that at our house we tried have a round table type time where everybody worked on a similar subject (like math), each on their own level and I jumped around to whomever needed me. For me that didn't work well, as there were too many kiddos who needed me at the same time, and my constant talking to one child or another distracted the others. So, for us, we've found that I can work quite well with two kiddos in fairly close proximity both working on either a similar subject or two different subjects, where they need me. It's helps if one child is older and one younger. I can also still manage a toddler at the table too during this time, as long as the little guy is fairly quiet.

So, for example, I would work with Greyson at the table on his handwriting (or his Rod and Staff workbooks or his math), while Shaw is nearby at the counter working on his math, and Beau is at the table with one of his quiet Lakeshore toys from the cupboard. We all talk very quietly, and I usually sit at the table, popping up to check on Shaw at the counter as needed. At the same time, Cole would be in a different room, working on one of his more independent tasks, but definitely in a room where the toddler can't get to him to continually interrrupt him (should he choose to leave the table where I am). :wink:

I've also found I can have two kiddos at the counter on stools, doing spelling or dictation with one, while overseeing grammar with the other at a similar time. It doesn't work to be doing two grammars at once though. :D I do try to get the older kiddos math and DITHR out of the way before morning recess. I find that I can easily do phonics and math with my beginning readers (K-1st grade) after lunch if needed without it being very taxing.

As far as your older daughter goes, I'd schedule some of her more independent subjects after lunch, allowing her to do her science then. I'd also try to schedule a 30 minute chunk of time before lunch with just your oldest, to do dictation first (5 min.), then poetry (5-10 min. except on creative writing days, which then the poetry lesson should be done in place of DITHR in that time slot), then Bible (5-10 min.), and end with going over grammar (10 min.), and assign a portion of grammar to do on paper independently at the end for 15 min. or so beyond the 30 min. time slot. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:55 am

Terri - This portion of Carrie's post describes what we do quite well...
Carrie wrote: So, for example, I would work with Greyson at the table on his handwriting (or his Rod and Staff workbooks or his math), while Shaw is nearby at the counter working on his math, and Beau is at the table with one of his quiet Lakeshore toys from the cupboard. We all talk very quietly, and I usually sit at the table, popping up to check on Shaw at the counter as needed. At the same time, Cole would be in a different room, working on one of his more independent tasks, but definitely in a room where the toddler can't get to him to continually interrrupt him (should he choose to leave the table where I am). :wink:

We do something very similar to this. I have tried to look at our house and carve out some separate places for learning. W e use our dining room table in our dining room, our kitchen table in our kitchen, and a desk in our entryway. Having places in different rooms that are yet easy for me to float between has worked well. We have several art caddies that are mobile and have one on each table/desk. This cuts down on the running around for supplies. This kind of floating between type time is good for things that are semi-independent. I try to start one child on something, then float to the next area and start the next child on something, and move back and forth between them. This is a good time for our toddler to be at one of the tables (usually the kitchen table) with some of his Lakeshore things. I get him started on something as well and then float between them. I sound like a hovercraft, don't I? Maybe float is the wrong word. Anyway, you get the drift. I do this for things like: math, notebooking, projects - more table time type things.

I had DITHOR toward the end of the schedule last year. This did not work well for us, as we were not fresh and often rushed through parts of it. I love DITHOR and didn't like the way that made it go, so I put it much earlier in the schedule this year. Grammar, subjects I am reading to the child, Bible/devotional type things, and phonics instruction are times I consider key teaching times that deserve full attention with as quiet and private of an atmosphere as possible. I try to do these types of things alone with a child while the other child is playing in the playroom with a gate with the toddler, or when the toddler is watching his video in the entryway (we put a T.V./V.C.R. in the top of the closet, and got him a special little chair to sit in with a blankie and teddy bear to watch - he loves this - and I love that he's safe and gated off in an area far enough from us I can check on him but he doesn't interrupt us). I also try to do these subjects earlier in the day. For the toddler, I make sure to have a time with him (15 minutes) first shot out of the barrel. He's a little young for LHTH, so I'm starting the year with singing Bible songs, doing a few Lakeshore activities, a puzzle, etc. We do this at the desk in the entryway while the older boys are finishing breakfast. I also put in a 15 minute time for him in the later morning, basically just to get him going at the table while I'm floating between other teaching things.

I schedule the more independent things my older ds to do at the end of the day. He likes control of this, and I like that I can get to other responsibilities I have like making lunch, doing laundry - you know what I'm talking about here - the "to do" list. :lol: At this point, my Beyond child is done with school and can play with toddler.

As far as schedules go, I've found it is incredibly important to consider what time wasters are in my day naturally and cut down on those. For me, this used to be talking on the phone, checking my email/HOD board, and cooking during the school day. I quit answering the phone before lunch, hold off checking my email or getting on the board until after lunch unless I'm up early, and made a very simple 2 week rotating lunch plan. This was a huge help to the day. The other kind of outside thing to consider is how best to use the space in your house. The entryway was never designed to be a school area or a T.V./V.C.R. living room type area, but it's the best use of that space right now. So, looking at the space you have and using it as wisely for your day to day needs as possible is well worth the time. One other thing that has totally helped our day is using the timer and following the same order of boxes/routine each day. This causes time to continue to drop off the schedule as the year progresses.

I hope some of these ideas can help, Terri! :) I think you are wise to think through this and make a plan before beginning. This reflecting process and thoughtful creation of the school schedule each year is about the only "prep" time I have for HOD. I figure it's well worth my time at the start because then I reap the benefits of that careful planning the whole rest of the year as we coast. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Carrie and Julie,

Thanks so much for sharing with me. I am going to have to study these responses and come up with a plan for us.

I did have something I wanted to ask both of you again though, I hope you don't mind.

I am still trying to figure out how to keep my just turned 2 year old occupied. I know you both keep mentioning the Lakeshore items. I did receive their new catalog and after going through it I still didn't really come up with much that I thought he was able to play with independently. But, now that you have both mentioned it again, I am thinking I need to reconsider. Would you mind sharing with me again exactly what you have found from them that can be given to a young 2 year old to play with independently? I would really apppreciate hearing what has worked for you with your little guys.

Also, Carrie, you had mentioned before a big magnet set for your little guy. I haven't been able to locate one even though I have heard of it. Would you mind sharing where you found yours?

Thanks so much to both of you!
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:03 pm

OK....
This is my hopeful schedule, the schedule that seems ideal, but so far we can't seem to hit the stride with yet.

by 630 am-- up and dressed at the family kitchen table for breakfast and family devotion
715am out the door (we are one car family) to go down the road feed our horses (in exchange for reduced board) and get dh to work.
around 845-9am back home, kasey lets inside doggies out to play and potty and a quick snack for all of us
from 9-12 on MTW--all of leftside except story time, her language arts program, and alternating days grammar and IYW.
12ish is lunch 1230-1245 kasey feeds all the household animals, I rotate laundry piles.
1245-300 Alternating days- Bible Study and Geography. Math, science, outside time (working in PE) and then storytime.
on Mondays 350-leave house to get Kasey to 4H WHEP, Tuesdays we leave by 545 to go to PROCLAIM (she does puppets and I'm taking up clowning), Wednesdays we leave by 630 to go to our church Bible study/choir
Thursdays we leave at 1100am for her chorus class, then back on schedule from 12 on weaving in the work she would normally do during that hour time into the rest of the day.
Now the baby somewhere inbetween all that! She's either right by my desk playing or on the computer playing Reader Rabbit, or doing a small portion of LHTH, but generally until nap time she's living up to her name of Typhoon Tiffy and ravaging any attempt at a clean and organized home.
Nap time is around 1130 - 1215 and she'll sleep for about 3 hours if things are quiet. When she gets up its snack and then pretty much trying to keep her entertained long enough for Kasey to finish her assignments.

Ideally I'm aiming for Fridays free... for me and my sanity! I would like to be able to work in on Fridays time to go ride my horse, go to the park with the kids, extra cleaning for the house, taking my mom to her dr appts or just lounging at home in the jammies.

These last couple days the schedule has been completely thrown out the window as I was dealing with a migrain for the first time in over a year. Kasey was able to pretty much work at her history and some/parts of her other work as best she could with a toddler under her feet.
I am hoping that this schedule will fall back into place as this coming Monday is when all the afternoon running will begin. :? :)
Any suggestions in tweaking this schedule will be gladly taken. :D
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Terri - I put a list of the Lakeshore boxes we used with our 2 yo back on page 5 of this thread, so that may be helpful. Also, it has really helped to have my oldest ds choose 1 of them to do with my toddler when he has his playtime with him. This has helped him learn how to use the boxes. I put the boxes in the bottom of our kitchen cupboard, so he has his own special place for them. When I float between tables to help dc with semi-independent things, I have the toddler do one or 2 Lakeshore things at a time at the table. I started by setting 2 or 3 boxes on the floor and having him choose 1 or 2 to do. He cannot get out a new Lakeshore box until the other ones are put away back in the cupboard. This prevents the dumping out of everything in the cupboard or on the floor. Sometimes he doesn't use the things as they are intended - for example, he loves to just dump out the insects and put them back in the pail. That's fine with me - he enjoys it and he does it independently. So, at 2 yo, it just has to be taken with a grain of salt what they can really pull off doing independently. :D I think having them in a separate place from his other toys and only allowing him to do them a certain time of the day has made them a big success here. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 pm

my3sons wrote:
I hope some of these ideas can help, Terri! :)

Julie,

Thanks so much for sharing with me. You know how hard I have struggled with coming to the conclusion to use HOD and I want it to really work out for us. Thank you for taking the time to help me figure things out :D !

You have been a huge blessing to me!!!
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo