Ok, here is my question....,

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Ok, here is my question....,

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:25 am

If I go ahead and place my order in the next couple of weeks Carrie is not going to release anything that we've not already heard about right? :?: :lol:

I would hate to order my little hearts and Bigger program and find out there was something else (besides Preparing) that I wish I had gotten. No special new book packages to go with either of those programs? No change in the math or English?

This has happened to me. I placed my order for a large lit base two years ago and one month later the author announced changing out several books that were better! :x No, No...., I want all the new stuff. :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:21 am

LOL! Mary, I'm cracking up here. I know exactly what you mean and have experienced that myself. This past year I went with a full-service provider and paid a lot for our materials. A couple weeks into our program, they released a revised version of their English workbook and I had to fight for the new copy and new lesson plans. Boy, did that make me ferocious! :roll:

A pet peeve of mine are programs that try to "keep up" with every newly released, trendy item by revising their plans yearly -- a certain program which I also considered for next year had a big disclaimer on their website saying they are so sorry their latest revision turned out to be awful, and they are offering replacements and coupons to make up for it. Uh - no thanks! I'd rather they put their effort into taking the time to write a decent program before publishing!

I can't wait to hear what Carrie and the HOD users here have to say, but I would be very surprised if any changes are in store.

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:00 am

Hi Mary,

I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. I have been reading and re-reading HOD books for a couple of years as I searched what I wanted to start with. From what I have seen the only time Carrie has replaced books is when the books go out of print.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:07 am

Hi Jen, (((Waving)))

We bump into each other so much! I wish the Lord had allowed us to live near one another;-) Which program are you interested in?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:08 am

mom2boys030507 wrote:Hi Mary,

I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. I have been reading and re-reading HOD books for a couple of years as I searched what I wanted to start with. From what I have seen the only time Carrie has replaced books is when the books go out of print.
Whew! Thank YOU :D

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:16 am

Mary:

Morning!

I'm looking at Preparing Hearts for Sam (11) for this fall, after we finish our FUFI Narnia unit. It looks so great!

Catherine is doing a totally different program for 8th, and I'm very satisfied with that. What are you doing for Brandon?

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:19 am

MainelyJen wrote:What are you doing for Brandon?
You plan sounds GREAT! Since Brandon is so close to graduation I think I will just keep him in ACE. I don't feel old enough to graduate a child? Where di the time go Jen? :roll: :? :?:

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:23 am

Tell me about it! It's so hard. Yesterday I had to take my Catherine out shopping for new jeans and tops because she just keeps growing! She's only 13 and she's in a woman's size 10 and a size 10 shoe! She looks like she's at least 16.

We need to manufacture an anti-growth drug to keep our kids little. We'd make a fortune! :lol:

I must say, though, I am enjoying this stage of parenting. My kids are a blast to be around & we have a great time. I don't remember being so wonderful to be around at this age. . .how about you? :roll:

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:21 am

Mary you are cracking me up! I'd be so wanting those new books too. But honestly if she changes too many things she'd have to rewrite the guides. The program is written including the books and what to read in the books. So it would not be too good to be changing too many things. I think you are safe. And I think now is the time otherwise you are going to be looking at "Hmmm Bigger...OR...Preparing" again. :lol:

You're going to love it Mary!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:48 am

I agree with the pp who said that Carrie normally only changes books when one goes out of print. If a change is required she normally puts a PDF file on the HOD site so you can easily schedule in the new boo. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:51 am

So true, Mary! That would be frustrating! I totally get what you are saying. Carrie always writes one guide a year, and only makes changes to previous ones if books go out-of-print. So, you can take the plunge and place your order with full confidence!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:52 pm

Hey girls,

Just wanted to chime in here and say you are right on track. We spend so much time with the initial writing of our books that we don't ever issue a revision unless a book we use goes out of print (and then we still only offer an update with new page numbers for the replacement book).

But the books we chose and loved when we wrote the program we stand by as the best on the market (or we wouldn't have chosen them in the first place). We choose tried and true materials that have been around and are homeschool favorites at our house and among homeschool families everyhwhere. We will pair these at times with a new title but only after doing the research to make sure the book will be around for awhile.

I'm with those of you who have had the experience of buying a curriculum only to have an update issued shortly thereafter.

On a side note, I do want to mention that there is going to be a price increase coming on our guides within the next week or two. Since our first guide came out in 2001, we've never had a price increase but the cost of printing and paper has continued to steadily rise, so we're going to have to adjust our pricing. Each guide will raise in price $4.00-$5.00. However, we do plan to start offering discounts on our packages to enable more people to one-stop shop at Heart of Dakota. Just letting you know ahead of time.

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:34 pm

Thank YOU Ladies, Thank YOU Carrie!

Well, I hope to be trying out one of your new package prices (actually TWO of your new package prices) in the next couple of weeks! I hope I love it as much I as I think I will. It sure will make our September Curriculum Show N Tell program much more EXCITING! :D