Placement for 1st & 3rd

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ajfriend

Placement for 1st & 3rd

Post by ajfriend » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 pm

I have a couple of questions. I think I'm going to use one of the programs to combine History, Science, and Bible for my 1st and 3rd graders next year so I wasn't sure which program I should use. I'll be using my own programs for Language Arts and Math. So my questions are can I use these programs just for just the History, Science, and Bible and if I do which one should I use to combine 1st and 3rd?
Thanks!
~A Friend

(Mom to M & M - 8; J - 5; SJ - 1)

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:44 am

I just wanted to say "Hi". I'm sorta new here and can't help with placement, but I know that you can just use the program for history, science, and bible if that is what you want without any problems.

I am sure that someone will be along to help with placement a little later.

Welcome!

Sharon

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:33 am

Hi Friend,

I am sure your going to get lots of great advice. I will just share with you one thing I have found over the years. I always try to find the "lowest" level progam that fits all fo my children. (not so low that my oldest doesn't gain anything, but with hx/science I don't think that will happen)

The reason I do this is that I find it easier to beef up, than pare down. Also, I realize that if we love it, I cannot go BACK, but I can always do the older program next year.

HTH,
Mary
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:32 am

I think if I were just going to use the history, science, Bible and maybe the storytime (literature studies) I'd go with Beyond. Mary is so wise with her advice and so right! We're going to use this next year for my dd in 1st and dd&ds in 2nd.
We use a different math, but I'm going to be working hard in the next year to get my kids on the LA programs that Carrie recommends. I hope to be all on the same page by the time we finish Beyond.
You'll get a lot of great advice on here...good luck with your decision! :D

Melanie
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:44 am

I just wanted to add that the placement charts on the HOD website might be helpful in placing you dc as well. Also, I am planning on using Beyond next year for 1st grade w/ my own LA and Math. One great thing about all HOD products is the flexibility they allow for. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:04 pm

I agree with Melanie, that Beyond... would probably be a good fit for a typical 1st. and 3rd. grader. You can certainly do it with subbing in your own LA and math. You just won't do those "boxes" in the plans. The Emerging Reader's list is great though, as well as DITHR, and you may still want to do the hands-on math activities - they're just so fun and help teach the concept so well. However, if you are having success with your math and LA already, hooray! I'd love to hear what info. you glean from checking out the placement chart. Keep in touch!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Welcome to the boards!

The wonderful ladies here have already given you such great advice and encouragement. So, I'll just direct you to the placement chart on our website here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

I also agree that you can easily do the history, Bible, and science from our programs and use your own language arts and math (many moms do). Our guides do a great job of working with what you already love and filling in all the rest. And... they also provide a great back-up plan if you run into trouble in your language arts and math someday. You may find yourself using more of our guides than you planned! :wink:

I think "Beyond..." would be the best placement also for a 1st and 3rd grader in Bible, history, and science.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Blessings,
Carrie

ajfriend

Post by ajfriend » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards Beyond Little Hearts. I'm really excited about this because I tried to find something at the beginning of this year that I could incorporate Sci, Hist, & Bible and some of the programs looked great but I knew they wouldn't work for me, plus they were pretty costly. I can't wait until I get some extra money to order the books! :)
~A Friend

(Mom to M & M - 8; J - 5; SJ - 1)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Sounds good! One area you might add a bit to for your third grader when combining your kiddos in "Beyond..." is science (depending on your family's goals). The science in "Beyond..." uses grade 2 CLP's science text, and it is and kept purposefully short (twice each week) to allow you to spend the time needed to get a firm foundation in the 3 R's.

If you choose to do so, you can easily beef that up by reading more on the science topics in other sources or by just having your third grader do some outside reading on her science topics of interest. You won't need more experiments, since she'll be getting experiments twice each week in "Beyond...".

Hope that helps! I just wanted to give you a heads up on that area.

Blessings,
Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:04 pm

I'm all for beyond for your 2. You can always ad fun things in for your older one. My dd has a note book she did last year ( during beyond age 7) each page has a picture of an animal and a short description in her own words. It built LA/writing skills /creativity. We did 2 or 3 animals every time we went to the zoo. She loves her book. It helped her science and LA all at the same time.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫