Using FIAR, LOTW with LHTH??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedx5

Using FIAR, LOTW with LHTH??

Post by blessedx5 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 am

Anyone on here using FIAR, LOTW or anything else with LHTH? My 4yo dd is eager to do more....we are done with LHTH so quickly each day and she is disappointed when we are done. Just trying to figure out what to do with her in addition to LHTH.

Debbie

crlacey

Re: Using FIAR, LOTW with LHTH??

Post by crlacey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 am

Could you use some of the ideas at letteroftheweek.com? You could just use the same letter you are working on in LHTH. We added Sonlight Pre-K using an alternate schedule to LHTH since my DD liked to read. and for us it worked out great.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:27 pm

I said that I was going to use FAIR with LHTH but it just didn't work for us. We are not a FAIR family. Maybe add some dollar store workbooks or the KUMON ones. KUMON is a favorite around here.

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:58 pm

I have been doing Galloping the Globe and FIAR with my LHFHG. Not everyday but just supplementing here and there.
My 5 and 3 old are also requesting more to do and I am not very creative, so FIAR works great for us~
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:28 pm

We're not doing LHTH right now but have a couple ideas. If you'd like to reinforce the letter that you're working on for the week, you could use the free website www.starfall.com
It's an AWESOME website (that seems like it would be an expensive piece of software but is instead a free site!) for teaching phonics. Every parent I've ever referred to it has said their child loves using Starfall. If you go to the ABCs section, you can click on each letter and there are cute animations, etc. to reinforce each letter. There are also printables. We've also used a wonderful book called Letter of the Week that is published by The Mailbox magazine/Education Center. It has all sorts of books, recipes, songs, crafts, etc. to reinforce the letters of the alphabet. We used this book for the entire year when my oldest son was 4 and he loved everything we did.
FIAR would be very workable, or another book that is similar but perhaps better geared for a 4 year old is called Peak with Books. Hope you find something that fits well with your family!
Kristin

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:09 pm

I think FIAR is a great program and would work well with LHFH if you are thinking you are needing to add something extra (although I haven't done both together)....or maybe just do some extra reading with her or the Rod & Staff workbooks that aren't going to be used in LHFHG.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:27 am

Debbie,

The great thing about LHTH is that you're done in 30 minutes a day and are covering your basic skills with LHTH, so you easily have time left in your day to add things if you desire. When I was schooling our second son with LHTH, we added some of the Rod and Staff workbooks A,B, and C. We also added Singapore Earlybird Math 1A/1B (which I don't believe they are printing anymore), and gently began a formal phonics program. But, my son was 4 at the time. :D

I also added a book on tape time (which we've actually done for all of our kiddos every year). For my youngers I read some of the wonderful anthologies on tape (complete with turn-the-page signals... I just said "BEEP" :lol:). I read the 20th Century Children's Treasury, James Herriot's book for Children, The Lion Storyteller's Bedtime Book, an illustrated Fables Book, The Berenstein Bear's Book of Science, and The Little Golden Book Treasury. Anyway, you get the idea. I purchased the books too, so they could follow along. All of my kiddos have used these same audio books when they got to be that age. Now, I just purchase the audiobooks and books to read-along instead, as my time to read-aloud on tape is gone! :D

With my third son, I had less time and he was younger and less ready for school, so we only did LHTH with no additions (and it was perfect for him)! :wink:

Whether you add or not, just make sure to keep going forward with LHTH as that's your spine. Adding can be fun, but it can take over your day and complicate it too much if you're not careful! I say this in all love, as I'm an adder by nature! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi,ladies! For those that are interested, I just wanted to let you know that Rainbow Resource still sells Singapore Earlybird Math 1A/1B.
BTW, can someone please tell me what "FIAR" and "LOTW" are??
:)

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Hiya! Boy, all these acronyms do get confusing, don't they? :P

LOTW, I believe, is Letter of the Week Curriculum. FIAR is Five in a Row curriculum.

Hope that helps! :)