Nature Study

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

Nature Study

Post by happyhomeschooling » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Like a lot of you I am a fan of Charlotte Mason. I have read "Charlotte Mason companion" by Karen Andreola, and there are a
lot of great ideas about how to impliment the CM methed. Though I am the kind of person that needs more of a guidline or
outline rather that I can be flexible with, (which is why I love HOD so much :D )

I am the kind of person that looks at a recipe, gets an idea of what to do then I do it my own way, but I don't have
the creativity to invent my own recipe, I need a basic starting point.

I would love to start a nature study with my dd 5.5yrs but am having a hard time jumping in to that head first.
Does anyone know of a "Nature Study curriculum" or guideline so to speak? I would love to know if there is anything
like that. I also have the "Handbook of Nature Study" but just dont know where to start with it.
Appriciate any info anyone has, Thanks in advance for your time!
Blessings, Lesley
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

water2wine

Re: Nature Study

Post by water2wine » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm glad you asked this. I don't have a lot to offer. We are just drawing things that we see different places then looking them up in a book. Keeping track of the birds we see. I made a book from notebooking.com for each child. We plan on looking at some things under our microscope. Doing some labeling of parts of bugs, flowers things that grow. I hope you get some great ideas. I am interested as well.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:50 pm

I don't have any advice, but will definitely be watching for everyone else's idea. I was just thinking today that DS and I need to get out and explore more, but am not really sure where to start. We live in an apartment right now, so we have to actually go somewhere to be outside and I haven't been as dilligent about getting us out as I should be.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:10 pm

I don't know if this will help or not...mainly bc I have never actually looked at this inside of this book....but Queen's Homeschool....carries a book called My Nature Journal which sounds like it kinds of "walks" you through a nature study.

HTH...again I have never seen this...just a thought that is in the back of my baby brained head!!
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

GingerN

Post by GingerN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Nature study is such a valuable activity, and I am trying to 'remember' to fit in time for it in our days. Fall is the perfect time! You might check out the nature study suggestions at Ambleside Online http://www.amblesideonline.org/NatureSch.shtml . They use the Handbook of Nature Study and other things, too. At their site you will find helpful articles on the subject and a basic outline for the topics they cover each school term. Happy nature studying :)
Ginger

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:14 pm

http://www.donnayoung.org has some free pages for nature journals and science notebooking activities. You might look there to see if the site has something you could use. I also agree that Ambleside is a good resource for a 'how-to' on nature study!

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:55 pm

I have been doing some research and found this great site that gives instructions on nature study
including how to use the "Handbook of Nature Study" for anyone who is interestied here is the link
http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.c ... arted.html
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 am

Yes! this last link given by happyhomeschooling is awesome. This blog http://www.heartsandtrees.blogspot.com/ belongs to her daughter and she also has handicrafts and free nature study activities.

Right now it has been hard for us to walk on our property because there is a lot of noise from trucks and equipment working on gas pipelines, plus the wildlife has dissapeared :( - so when our Beyond unit has anything to do with animals or nature we have been documenting it, coloring a page and saving it in our binder (mammals, amphibians, dinosaurs, migration, etc.)

Keep the ideas coming!
Dorla

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:45 pm

HI Lesley! Here's a past post that you might find something helpful in:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1733&p=13618&hilit=+nature#p13618

We've done Nature Journals for the past 4 years. We've done them in very different ways - but no matter how we've done them, they've furthered our dc's appreciation for and awareness of God's Creation.

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:47 am

I am reading this post with great interest. I have the book My Nature Journal that mansmom referenced. We really like the book alot. I looked it up at Rainbow Resource and there is a good description and review of the book there.
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/ ... 92-1407836

Like the reviewer says it's geared a bit to the older child but can be adapted to the younger child as well. I highly recommend this book.

I am also going to check out the other links in this thread and see what I can come up with. I am really wanting to do things MUCH differently with my 2 year old than I did with my 9 year old when he was that age. I keep staring at the book My Nature Journal on my shelf and thinking that I really need to make an effort to use it and get outside into nature much much more.

Thanks for the ideas,
Paige
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:58 am

Ladies,

I'm late to this thread, but I love to do nature journals as well! Here is a link to a previous post that may be of some help in nature journaling" viewtopic.php?f=6&t=527

On a sidenote, we are looking at various ways to incorporate nature study with our poetry for the new ancients guide. We will definitely be planning a nature journal into that area! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:36 am

We are doing nature studies right now. After a couple formal nature walks, my dc made every outing, every visit to gr'ma and gr'pa's house, every walk through the grass to get mail,... a nature walk. Their curiousity and attention to nature skyrocketed. I ask them questions about their finds...Why do you think God made it like that? What do you think He made it at all? Does it serve a purpose or did God give it to us for our enjoyment? What might eat that? What might that eat? What does it need to grow? What does it do in the winter? etc. I try to teach them to look and observe instead of catching and disturbing...this gives them a chance to see how God made the creature to act, instead of seeing how it fearfully reacts to a kid trying to catch it!

One dc is too young to write and gets upset that his pictures never look like what he wanted to draw. You can only do so many leaf rubbings too. LOL The other is able to write, just doesn't like to much and she does draw a lot. But, to help them keep a good visual of their finds, we created an online nature journal. Here's the link: http://www.kitketkids.blogspot.com

It's been A LOT of fun! You have so much freedom in nature notebooking. :o) Do what fits your family.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling