Globe

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rebecca

Globe

Post by Rebecca » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:45 am

Does anyone have any recomendations on where to get a World Globe? Where did you get yours?
Thank you!
Rebecca

Marty D

Re: Globe

Post by Marty D » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:12 am

I got my globe at Wal Mart. Unfortunately it fell off its axis shortly after we bought it. But, we can now sing, "I've got the whole world in my hands"! The ones at Wal-Mart are less than $15, and would probably survive in a normal family. I have looked at school supply stores, and they have them, but they are much more expensive. Don't know if this helps, but it is the best I can do. :D
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:34 pm

I found one for 5$ at biglots it was a lamp but an accurate lamp.. it stopped working a few days after we brought it home so Hubby took out the electric part and now we have a globe.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

3ringcircus

Post by 3ringcircus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:55 pm

We got ours at Target a few years ago, for somewhere in the $10 range. Ours has held up well with spirited children.

Kathy
KL - Rev2Rev, DITHOR
E - PHFHG, DITHOR
MG - BHFHG
L - making messes and smiles

GingerN

Post by GingerN » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:10 pm

We have a small globe that has such tiny print it's not very helpful. In searching for something more helpful, I found some neat resources at the Timberdoodle Company site. They have regular globes, puzzle globes, and the Hugg-A-Planet that I plan to order on payday to go with our new Bigger program. It's a soft, fabric globe with accurate labels. My girls are going to love it!
Ginger

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:11 pm

We have a blow-up globe ball that we got from Rainbow Resource Center. It's pretty detailed and was about $16 I think. The kids love to play with it!

I saw regular globes at Target this year for $12. Rainbow Resource Center had others...but the ones I saw were quite a bit more pricey.
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:03 pm

I got mine for free off of freecycle. For those who don't know, "Freecycle is a nonprofit network of members around the world who give & get stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Membership is free."
Here's the link... www.freecycle.org after you join you can give things away that you no longer use and/or post a request for something you need that someone else might just have sitting around in a basement or something. Its a really great program!

Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 pm

I know my sister bought hers last year at Barnes and Noble (for less than I paid for mine which I ordered online somewhere). So, you may want to check out your local bookstore, if you're in a pinch and need it soon. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:20 pm

My MIL just bought one at Toys R Us for my son. He loves it.
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks Ladies!
I am checking all these ideas out!
Rebecca

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:28 am

I bought ours at Ross (Name brands for less store). I think I paid $11.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH