OT~ At Home Speech Therapy

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stellar

OT~ At Home Speech Therapy

Post by stellar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 am

Hello :-) A friend asked if anyone has suggestions of books or ideas for a mom to do for speech therapy.
Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Kari

3ringcircus

Re: OT~ At Home Speech Therapy

Post by 3ringcircus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:26 am

What specifically is the speech therapy treating? My son is in speech therapy for vocal cord nodules, so his therapy revolves around education and avoiding vocal abuse, but I'm sure different conditions would be treated with another approach.

Kathy
KL - Rev2Rev, DITHOR
E - PHFHG, DITHOR
MG - BHFHG
L - making messes and smiles

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:50 pm

I tried speech therapy on my own but it really doesn't work unless you know where the issues are.

After my child was tested I knew what to train, there are a lot of things you and I don't hear but the therapist will catch.
I belive you can do the work at home and don't need a therapist except for consultation every once in a while. I did take my child to therapy for 2 years once a week and had great results, but it was on a sliding scale and I could afford it, it was sure easier than doing it myself.

here is a site that has some practice work you can see how it is laid out:
http://www.deafhomeschool.com/essential ... tions.html

that sight also some great links with, ideas for therapy with parents etc.. but the key is to know what is wrong before you start. I would use a non profit or university, testing rather than a "professional" To get a accurate test.

My dd had problems with s's, the concept of more, and "w" question words also stumped her. Even to this day she can't answer "why" questions unless I make them "what" questions.. And I never would have caught that! I would have though she was just being obtuse.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

stellar

Post by stellar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi gals! Thanks for the info. I will ask her what she is treating. I am not sure if it is for her or for a friend :mrgreen:
Cheerio!

Kari

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 pm

your friend may be able to have receive services from the local public school (i know, yikes!) for free, that includes testing which can be very expensive. my son was in ps kindergarten last year and this year the speech therapist called and said he was still eligible for services. i took him for the first time today for a 30 minute session once a week and today at playgroup another mom told me her son was tested by the ps and receives instruction from them and he never even attended ps! it makes sense because we're still paying taxes that we can receive some services, like that and driver's education. of course, i know the speech therapist from last year and she is a very nice lady and my son really improved alot with her so i didn't have a problem with him doing this. she is going to recommend a book for me to read and i meant to ask her about the speechercise cd's and forgot. if i find out about them i will let you know.
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:24 pm

Kari,

Depending on how old the child is, the Birth to 3 program does testing and services for free in the home (due to it being a government program). Each state has its own testing services. Ours required a referral from our doctor. My third little guy had delayed speech due to fluid in his ears, which we didn't even know he had! Less than one year of therapy 2-3 times a week in our home solved his problems and caught him up, so it's worth checking into.

Blessings,
Carrie