Box day and other stuff~

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Teena6

Box day and other stuff~

Post by Teena6 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:44 am

:D I bought a mom's BHFHG last week. She received my money order on Friday... and mailed it out! It arrived TODAY!!! SO FAST.

My dd.... was SO excited. Everyone was wanting to OPEN the box..... we looked over everything. I know we will love it. I know she is probably a little too old for Bigger but I am doing the extension so I hope that will work. I didn't want to do preparing..... for our first time. I want her to FALL IN LOVE WITH THIS PROGRAM! LOL

ok... probably the same question I have asked Carrie and Kathleen 50 times :oops:

I am going to be doing the economy pkg w/ science add ons... basic pkg (my own english/language) hymns for a kids heart, and Little Pillows. Deluxe Pkg we are doing some classic & some girl interest. We are doing extension pkg too.

SO do I need to do the emerging or DITHOR?? I really wanted to wait and just do all I listed above and do the DITHOR next year.

so tell me what you think? And rejoice with me..... not I have 3 of our 6 children doing HOD!!! :mrgreen: :wink: :!:
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

holyhart

Re: Box day and other stuff~

Post by holyhart » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:18 am

I can't answer your question as my little ones aren't there yet (although it seems like from when others have asked the question about DITHOR that it is reccomended...) but I just wanted to say YEAH FOR BOX DAY!!!! It is so much fun to pour over the books and manuals! :D

Glad that your dd is excited too! That makes it even more fun!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 am

I am also doing Bigger w/extensions for a 10-yr old. Because it is taking us awhile to get into hs rhythm I am waiting for DITHOR for a few weeks or months. I have ordered it but have not received it yet. I believe the emerging readers is for lower levels like LHFHG and BLHFHG. You can begin DITHOR at the 2nd grade level if your child is out of the emerging reader stage (normally Beyond). Right now Ethan is only doing the storytime reading in Bigger. I don't want to overwhelm him all at once with reading because it is not his strong suit but it is something I knew that we needed to work on. If your dd loves to read it may not be as big an adjustment for you. If money is an issue check your local library, I found many of the books there and I have found some at the Goodwill/yard sales and even traded for them online. If you don't do it this year, don't beat yourself up about it. I don't even know if we'll get to it this year ourselves. The boys are wanting to do co-op sports and I have to work those into the schedule too :D Good luck and know you aren't the only newbie here :D
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 am

thanks, Ladies. My dd loves to read but I do think it will overwhelm her. She will do all of Bigger plus the extension reading. So I think I will wait a little while on DITHOR.

we are very excited..... and we did POUR over the box.

I do the trading books too. Plus I had some. A friend has Toliver's Secet.....

so it is all coming together. :)

next year or maybe after Christmas I will do DITHOR :)
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:05 pm

Teena,

I think your plan sounds like a good one! When starting a new program, it helps to start in layers. Adding DITHR after Christmas or later would be a good plan. Your daughter will be getting a literature study overview through the storytime box in Bigger..., so you won't harm her by waiting. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks Ladies & Carrie too!!!

Still trying to absorb all this... :oops: So Carrie the storytime is the time we do re-alouds and that is the literature part of the program .... with different genres right? Sorry I am a slow learner. :roll: :oops:

We started today.......... but I want to share that in another thread :wink:
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Yes, you're right. The storytime in "Bigger Hearts..." uses read-alouds from the various genres to give you a miniature Drawn into the Heart of Reading study. :D Drawn into the Heart... goes much deeper, but Bigger.. will give you the groundwork. Once you get to Preparing Hearts, you'll either need DITHR or a different literature study choice to cover that area. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie