IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH CLICK'N READ PHONICS?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
savedbyloveandmercy

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH CLICK'N READ PHONICS?

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:36 am

Hi, ladies! One more question, please! :D

I was online looking for some extra phonics help, and on the homeschool buyers website, I found a program called, "Click'n Read Phonics".

Has anyone used it, or heard anything about it?

I already purchased the first three Explode the Code books, too, and on the same website, they have ETC Online. Has anyone used that,
and are there opinions comparing just using the books to doing it online?

I would appreciate any help as I compare and choose phonics lessons!

Thanks so much!

Briana

lmercon

Re: IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH CLICK'N READ PHONICS?

Post by lmercon » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:22 pm

Sorry that I can't really help with your question as I've never heard of that program. I'm interested in it, as well as the ETC online. Would you mind posting the website you found them on?
Thanks,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:50 pm

The website is homeschoolbuyersco-op.com.

I just found it last week, and you get bigger discounts as more people commit to buying the curriculum (It's called a "group buy") You can get some really good deals that way.

I don't know if you read my other post, but I had asked about another software program called "Brainware Safari" that is normally $300, and they have it as a group buy for $49, right now. It's supposed to be really amazing.

I'm still trying to decide if I'll buy that one, and then I'm back and forth between ETC Online and Click'n Read Phonics. :?

I'd love to hear your opinions after you look at the site!

HTH,

Briana

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:04 pm

Laura,

Right now on that website, you can get ETC online for $35.00/year/per student (normally $60). I believe the group buy ends mid-month.
They just extended a special buy on CNRP. It's normally just under $60, and through 9/30, it's $29.99 for a LIFETIME membership, plus $14.95 for each
additional student, and you can transfer membership to another child when one is done (It can be another child in your family, or a friend)
Each program is designed to only be used with one student at a time so that it can track each child's progress for maximum benefit.

So, I'm torn over which one to use. I don't think we need to do both, and honestly, the finances don't allow to both at this time,
so my question is whether it would be confusing to do the ETC books, and CNRP for extra practice?? :? Maybe it would be better to
use the ETC books and ETC Online. The CNRP deal is really good, though, and my son and I both liked the sample lesson that we tried.

So, those are my thoughts. :?
Hopefully, you'll find some clarity, and share it with me!! :)

Briana

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I just purchased the click'n read last night through the co-op. I was debating on whether to do click'n read or ETC online. Currently my daughter (5) does HOP for the majority of phonics with the ETC worksheets a couple of times a week to reinforce what she has learned. However, I wanted to add some computer work to her schedule so I looked at both of these programs. I had her do the sample lessons for both programs. She really enjoyed the click'n read the best. I decided to purchase it because the sample lessons worked on spelling and sight words too. I like the ETC worksheets because she can get extra handwriting practice while working on them so I think what I am going to do is do a page out of HOP everyday and alternate the ETC worksheets and click'n read for extra practice each day.

skillet04

Post by skillet04 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:29 pm

We bought an access to clicknkids a few years ago ... it's good when you need to mix things up...but for my son he can't do phonics everyday on the computer, he starts complaining of wrist pain from so much mouse usage.
hth
Swylv :cry:
Praying for another child since june 2002 -- you'd cry too, even DS cries to be a big brother.
DS 07/2001 -- BLHFHG for the 08-09 year
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks for your response, ladies!
To "jessyb26", I am using HOP and ETC, as well, so I appreciate hearing your thoughts. What you have planned sounds great!

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:12 pm

You know, we had seriously considered the click'n read phonics. C had tried the lower level lesson and liked it okay. We thought it might be fun to reinforce her phonics instruction. Then we tried the higher level sample lesson, and it was just like the lower level one except that it had different material. C didn't like having to type answers, and she made me do that part for her. We really seriously considered it. The price is great and DD did really like it. But in the end we chose not to get it. I think it would've been too repetitive for C. She's had a hard time with Reader Rabbit because it's the same thing over and over. She likes a little spice in her computer games. :lol: :roll: So we didn't end up getting it. We never looked at the ETC one, so I can't help you there.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG