HAS ANYONE HEARD OF OR USED BRAINWARE SAFARI?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
savedbyloveandmercy

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF OR USED BRAINWARE SAFARI?

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:30 am

Hi, ladies! I was online at "homeschoolbuyersco-op.com", and they had software called "Brainware Safari" that's supposed to be really amazing. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks so much!

we6rblessed

Re: HAS ANYONE HEARD OF OR USED BRAINWARE SAFARI?

Post by we6rblessed » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 am

I am interested in this as well. I wonder if Mama Mary has had an opportunity to look into this yet???

Blessings,
~Linda

KatieM

Post by KatieM » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:01 pm

I just got ours. I bought it for my 8 ds who really has a hard time with memory and staying focused. He only did it once, but he liked it and asked to do it again (didn't have time yet). The little bit that I saw looked really great. Sorry I can't tell you much more right now. If you have any other specific questions, I can try to answer them in a few days after he's done it a few more time.

savedbyloveandmercy

Hi, KatieM-I'd love an update on B. Safari when you have ti

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:59 am

Hi, Katie! I'm just wondering if your son worked on Brainware Safari anymore this week?

I'd love to hear more about it when you have some free time! :D

Thanks so much,

Briana

KatieM

Post by KatieM » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:51 pm

He hasn't had a chance to use it much more yet. I will try to post more towards the end of the week. Is there something specific you want to know?

Katie

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:09 am

I purchased this for my daughter recently from the co-op and my daughter who will be 6 in November is really enjoying the game. There are some areas that are difficult. She has enjoyed watching her animal grow and has motivated her to keep trying at the difficult activities. I worked as an occupational therapist with pediatrics before becoming a stay-at-home mom and I really wish I had found this for some of my kids who had visual perceptual problems. I think this will be a program she can work on for several years instead of just a few months having it finished. I am not sure if this helps those of you considering making this purchase. I am glad I made the purchase and I think it will be a benefit to my daughter. :D

KatieM

Post by KatieM » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:39 am

Okay, my son has had a chance to use it a few more times. He really likes the activities and asks to use it (it's still "new" though). I've been really impressed with the thinking involved in the activities. One activity shows the child 6 sets of letters - like KXNFR. 5 of the sets are the same, one is slightly different. The child only gets a few seconds to see them, then they disappear and the child has to pick the box that was different. The child MUST stay focused to do this. One of his favorite activities is where you have to get your swimmer safely to his raft without hitting any piranhas. You are given a grid type picture (the grid lines are only on the edges, not all the way across) and have to give a command sequence of how much to move and which direction. For example, a sample command might be R100U75L35. This would mean right 100, up 75, left 35. This takes a lot of thought and estimating distances, not to mention reinforces directionals. Another activity is a FAST moving tic tac toe. There are many activities, and he hasn't tried them all yet. I think this program is definitely worth the $60 I paid through the co-op. I don't think I would have bought it on my own for $300 plus, though. :shock:
I don't think you'd regret spending $60 or so on it. Hope that helps.
Katie

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Katie, thank you so much for taking the time to let me know how the software is working for your son. I sure appreciate having more information on it!