I Was So Nervous (Bigger)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
wisdom4us

I Was So Nervous (Bigger)

Post by wisdom4us » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:22 pm

I was so nervous about starting Bigger Hearts with our almost 8 year old! If anyone read my posts about supply lists, etc. you probably read into it. :D And our first few days of BHFGH were HARD!!!! But we kept going and pushed through and we finally, today, finished an entire days lessons in one day! I'm so proud of my son, he worked so hard and he was so diligent and he didn't complain!!!! That was the biggest break through, no complaining!!! He actually enjoyed it and so did I. I must admit that I did not think he, much less me, would enjoy this curriculum but we really are!!!!

Thank you Carrie and thank you all for putting up with my posts about supply lists and this and that in preparation of starting this. I can laugh at myself now!!! :lol:
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

water2wine

Re: I Was So Nervous (Bigger)

Post by water2wine » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Yeah! So glad it is working for you. Now you can just relax and throw all those lists to the side. It will flow even more the more and more you do it. Enjoy! :D

ETA- I was nervous too when we started. I am a biog list maker and I like to be in charge. I don't always know where I am heading but I still like to be in charge. hahaha! I felt like I was walking on a high wire with no net. But now it is like I am dancing on that wire with no worries. It's so nice to have it all taken care of for you and to be able to relax and just enjoy. :D Praying that it continues to bless you as well!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Summer,

I'm so glad that you are hitting your stride with Bigger! I am a list-maker, over-planner, and worrier, and I can definitely empathize with you in those areas! :D

It always takes us the first week to get settled in and begin to get into a groove at our house, so I'm glad you're finding that groove too! :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:51 pm

That's terrific, Summer! I'm a BIG list maker, and I overplan everything, so I can relate. :wink: But, having done Bigger... last year, let me tell you that it is going to be an incredible joy for you and your son to do, and that joy is just going to grow more and more every day you do it! :D It took my ds a bit to grow into the things he had to do in Bigger..., and I was glad because I didn't want it all to be a cinch at the beginning of the year. I guess I always tell myself that some things will be easy at first, some will be easy in the middle of the year, some will be easy at the end of the year, and some will not be easy until the next year - that's my litmus test for the curriculum being at the right level for our dc. So, glory in the easy things now, and you'll be relishing the harder things that became easy later next year! :D :D :D I'm so happy for you - give yourself a big pat on the back Mom, you hung in there, and it's going to pay off "Big" time! (Couldn't resist the "bigger" pun! :wink: ).

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:54 pm

Oh, Summer, I'm so glad that you and your son are getting into Bigger and enjoying it! :D My son and I are getting into it, too, and I can see so many beneficial things that it's going to lead us into as we learn, discuss, and enjoy! I love that it makes my day easier...and helps me accomplish what I really want to! (Where's the AHHH! smilie? :wink: )

Looking forward to many more good days with you,
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Thank you all for replying, it's great encouragement. I'm just so proud of our son, he is doing so well. It is a struggle for him and he is being challenged more than he ever has before but DH felt like it was time and I must say he was right! Mommy wanted to hold back but in my heart I knew he needed more so when DH said that I just needed to go for it and push DS then I knew I HAD to do it. I'm so glad I did. I can already see the fruit of our labor and the things that are to come. DS is a thinker so I have to keep him on track and teach him to discipline his mind to do what's in front of him at the time and then we can discuss his thoughts later. He always seems to remember them too!!! :lol:

We are doing Little Hearts this year with the twins too and they are really enjoying it!

We are still adjusting and working on our schedule, our days are still sloppy but it'll work itself out and we will find our groove with that too.

Thanks again ladies!!!
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

melzy71

Post by melzy71 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 am

Yeah I was worried that my son might have a hard time with some of the things in Bigger (like spelling), get frustrated and not want to do the work. He is doing awesome! He doesn't get all the spelling words right but he just laughes at himself, erases, studies the word again and spells it right the 2nd time. I also thought that the first book that he would be reading would be too big and hard for him but he LOVES reading it. He is excited that it's the Bible and he is reading it. He also likes it that it a big book that he can pick up and read a little at a time and eventually come to the end. I thought he would think that it would be daunting a task. These kids sure do surprise us timid moms! lol We are on week 4 now and still throughly enjoying the books and the work. I love it that we can skip a day or 2 and not feel like we HAVE to make it up. I just look over what we miss and incooperate it into the day that we should be on. My son loves the read a louds and is enjoying the stories about Jamestown and the Pilgrims. We visited Jamestown in Nov of last year and he was excited to listen to the story about it and remember the fort and picture it as I read about it. Glad there are others out there like me that felt the same about their child starting something we thought too hard for them. :lol: :lol:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Summer - Melyz - Kathleen - Water2wine -
Hats off to you for being moms that choose a good attitude even if there are some bumps in the homeschooling road! :D :D :D Attitude truly is everything when it comes to my kiddos, and I know when I act like they are capable of doing what I ask of them - they believe it too! Great job of giving your kids the belief that they CAN do what is being asked of them, and not only that, they can learn to do it WELL! I think that's called perseverance... Way to go MOMS! :)
In Christ,
Julie :D :D :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie