Using the alternative math schedule

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
slavila

Using the alternative math schedule

Post by slavila » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:15 pm

I was wondering if anyone is using the alternative math schedule in Beyond (Primary Math 2A & 2B). I was just wondering what the textbooks were like. If you use the "regular" schedule, you don't need the textbooks and Carrie schedules fun activities to do. So, I guess I'm wondering if with the alternative, if the textbook provides any fun learning activities as well. Hope that made sense.

TIA
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

Mommamo

Re: Using the alternative math schedule

Post by Mommamo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:59 pm

I have actually wondered that as well. I'm curious to see what kind of answer you get.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:54 am

i have the textbooks for 1A/1B and 4A/4B and they don't have any fun stuff like what Carrie plans. I bought the beyond manual and the preparing manual to use for the math lessons (and other things too!) because i'm not crafty and i need the directions that Carrie provides. I even bought the home instructor's guide for 4A but it doesn't have anything like what Carrie provides either, only a schedule and some tables/worksheets. The Bigger... manual has the fun stuff for 2A/2B. Hope this helps!
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

slavila

Post by slavila » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:15 am

Thank you, that helps a lot!! I was thinking that if the text didn't have the fun activities, then I would just go ahead and buy the manual for Bigger since I will need it the following year anyway!!
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:40 pm

I do need to clarify about the 4A/4B schedule in Preparing. There are no hands-on activities like for the lower levels of guides. I looked in the Bigger guide and it only has hands-on activities for the 2A/2B math. After that the child goes over the textbook with mom/dad and does the workbook alone. Preparing is written that way also. The 4A home instructor's guide does have more activities than I had thought. I looked at it much more closely because the first part of it talks about base and number disks (which I don't have) but also uses things like playing cards/numbers cards, charts (which you can photocopy from the guide) and other things you may have at home already. I think I may use this after all for my older son because although he has strong math skills, he sees me doing the fun stuff with the 1st grader and he wants to do that also. Plus it can only help to reinforce, right? The only thing is do I want to pay the additional $ for each of these guides? I had really only glanced at it when I first got it but decided I had better check on what I had told you, didn't want to be wrong :D I still am using the Preparing guide for dictation and the English schedule plus I will already have it for next year :D I don't know why I thought we were doing more stuff with Ethan's math, you can see I've only done 4 days of hsing and my mind is gone already :D
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history