Those of you that use Bigger....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Teena6

Those of you that use Bigger....

Post by Teena6 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:30 pm

can you tell me a little about the Math.... I am thinking of ordering this for my dd. Doing the expansion for olders. She is in 5th grade. We are using Abeka math right now (yes, I know :roll: ) we spent soooooooo long on it today. She can do it but it goes so fast and SO many problems to do.

in the Bigger & Preparing Math (singapore) how many problems a day? Today is Lesson 9 in our Math and she had 40 problems (different kinds) several were LONG division like two digits into 2,894. Plus 3 digit multiplication. Is that how singapore does?

any feedback would be appreciated. :)
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

netpea

Re: Those of you that use Bigger....

Post by netpea » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 pm

sorry, we're still finishing up Singapore 2B, so we're not at the level you are. Typically though, we have 10-15 problems to do I think.

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks, Lee anne that does help..... :wink:
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 am

we have just started Bigger with my 10yr old doing the extensions. he placed squarely into primary math 4a so i bought the preparing manual to guide us in the lessons for that level. he is just starting out with it (yesterday was our 1st day) but it began with writing in expanded form. the preparing manual has us doing 2 pages each day the first week and 2 pages had about 5-10 problems so far but each problem has an a, b, c, and so on. i think problem 1 had 12 parts to it. hope this helps :D
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 am

We're doing Singapore Math 3A right now. We do the Textbook part together on a markerboard, and that takes us about 10 minutes. The Workbook part he does on his own, and that is usually about 10-20 problems, which takes him about 15-20 minutes tops. My sister taught Abeka for awhile, so I know Singapore would take much less time than that. Singapore lessons goes quickly, it's simple to teach from, and it's very well-rounded. We love Singapore because it doesn't take forever and it really "gets the job done"! :D
In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 pm

thanks so much Ladies. I appreciate the help.

Ok have another question for Bigger. I keep looking over the catalog.

if she is in 5th grade....

I will order the
Economy Pkg.
Economy Pkg. with science add on
basic pkg.

THEN do I order the Deluxe Pkg AND the extension pkg?

I am a bit confused.

thanks for any help.

Teena
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Yep, Teena, you're right! THe extension package braodens the history & science to her level. The deluxe package is the read-alouds you'll do for storytime. Some moms don't purchase the deluxe package and use their library to get those. You'll need each book for 20 lessons days...so you'd need to have a good library that lets you have books that long. Our library is kind of limited...although we do have interlibrary loan available...BUT we only get to keep a book for a week that way. So, it's not a good option for us and is much better to purchase the books for storytime. One thing you didn't list purchasing is Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. If you'll be using that for your reading and haven't already purchased the DITHOR Guide, you'll need that, as well as the appropriate student book. Carrie has packages put together for those with the suggested book list, which I know will be very helpful to me in the future! http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-packages.php

Let us know if you have more questions!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks, Katleen I do have another question or two ... :wink:

so with all that I listed that I buy THEN do I buy Drawn into the Heart of Reading too? With the deluxe & extension pk? That is a lot of reading isn't it? I guess through the course of a school year.

thanks for any help :)
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:49 am

Teena6 wrote:Thanks, Katleen I do have another question or two ... :wink:

so with all that I listed that I buy THEN do I buy Drawn into the Heart of Reading too? With the deluxe & extension pk? That is a lot of reading isn't it? I guess through the course of a school year.

I thought it was a lot of reading also. The way we're doing it (and keep in mind that I am entirely NEW to hsing and HOD) is that I read the history, add-ons, extensions and storytime to him. We tried it the other way the 1st day and it took us almost 6 hours to finish with breaks and lunch! The only thing he's reading on his own now is the reading program. My son doesn't have good reading comprehension so we're talking about everything we're reading and I'm reading it aloud so it will flow for him. One thing I've discovered since beginning this program is that my son doesn't read as well as I thought he did so I'm really glad we're addressing this with Bigger.... I'll read a page and he'll read a page. I can access my library holdings online so I checked all the books in the catalog for Bigger and only ended up having to buy a few. Also, we are using some books at home (like for his biography he is reading about Jackie Robinson since he loves baseball). Also, if you child places in a higher math than 3b you will need the Preparing manual for that schedule. I also bought the home instructor's guide the 4A math and it has a schedule in it plus mental math worksheets, tables and other stuff! So far my son has really enjoyed this program and is retaining what we've talked about. Hope this helps!
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:04 pm

Teena6 wrote:Thanks, Katleen I do have another question or two ... :wink:

I'm only 3 weeks in using Bigger, but the readings for history, science, and storytime are short. This is Charlotte Mason style, so that the kids can live with the books for a longer period of time and retain more. Reading is definitely not all you do, as I'm sure you've noticed from what you've read. :wink: We started our biography this year and I accidentally whipped through the 1st chapter reading aloud. (I got into the story and forgot to stop... :oops: ) Anyway, if we're going to make the book last for 20 days we can only read 1/2 a chapter which is like 5-7 pages a day, some of which are illustrations. THe history reading is usually 3-4 pages. Science is usually 2 pages. The 3 things I've listed so far is what you're meant to read aloud. DITHOR your child reads aloud to you, and the extension pack is meant to be read independently. I don't feel that we spend too much time reading at all! I've seen Carrie reccommend not to do the extension pack if your child struggles with the reading...but I'm sure that varies so much on your unique situation. Some moms do read it aloud as well, and that would add some reading/time to your day.

Does that help??
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Yes, Kathleen that helps a lot.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer and to encourage.

still not sure what I am going to do yet. :wink:

trying to think it all through :)
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL