Is my kid the only one

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
slavila

Is my kid the only one

Post by slavila » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:04 am

that doesn't seem to pay attention when I read aloud? When I do the history readings and the story time read alouds, he doesn't seem to pay attention one bit. His mind totally wonders, he finds anything he can get his hands on to play with, he gets up and down and fidgets a lot. When I ask him questions about what I just read, he has no clue. He will be 6 years old in a couple weeks and we are doing Beyond (we are on unit 4). I'm wondering if I should have gone with LHFHG instead. He falls into Beyond for reading, spelling, math, and handwriting, but I feel he is not ready for the history, science and read alouds yet. Is it normal for a 6 year old to behave like this when being read to, or should I look into LHFHG? Thanks for any thoughts or advice!!
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

paliz

Re: Is my kid the only one

Post by paliz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:11 am

No, that is so my son. I haven't completely figured things out on how to solve that problem but one thing I did last week with the story time was make him reread it himself. That only half helped as he really wanted to be doing something else which we had a long talk about. Maybe someone else will have some answers but I wanted you to know that you're not the only one in that boat.

familymgrkendra

Post by familymgrkendra » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:19 am

Actually this is very very very common amongst many homeschooled children. Allow them to "listen" and "fidget" and you will be amazed at how much they actually absorb!!

Good luck!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm

I've often given my children things to do with their hands; drawing, coloring, playdough, even Legos if they are able to be quiet. I also tell them they must be able to answer questions, or narrate when I'm done or there will be no more 'things to do' during reading. It's worked well with my older two. My 5 year old sometimes sits in and listens and will surprise me with things he picks up, but I haven't yet given him the requirements like the others. Right now, we are just doing LHTH because I felt, after trying it, he wasn't ready for the reading and questions for the history portion in LHFHG. LHTH is working well for him.

So, though it is common and it will probably get better as time passes and he gets used to the readings, you could do LHFHG instead. At 6, he fits right within the age range and it would probably be enjoyable for him...and it takes less time. He may have an easier time sitting through an hour, as opposed to the 2-2.5 hours required with Beyond... I first began Beyond...with my daughter when she was 6.5 in 1st grade. She was not that interested in the readings, and she needed to work harder on her reading anyway,so we ended up shelving it until 2nd grade. When we started back up then, she was 8 and she really did understand and enjoy all the readings, and she was able to answer the questions way more easily. It was a great move for us...and now in Bigger...(1 week in)she is doing great. :wink:

I guess I've explained all this to say that it wouldn't be a problem to move him back to LHFHG if you feel you want to do that. The stories and activities look awesome and I feel your 6 year old would thrive with those. However, you could also stick with Beyond...if you need or want to, and maybe just slow down a bit. You could do it half speed...the left side on day 1 and the right side on day 2. I know others will chime in with their advice, too. I hope this has been somewhat helpful :)

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:52 pm

As InHisTiming said, if my kids know they will be expected to narrate, they pay closer attention, even if they are drawing or playing with a toy.

Even my 5yo who is in LHFHG narrates for me (to some extent) because she hears her brother do it.

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:28 pm

I think we have to be careful with early learning that our children don't "burn out" quickly, especially in the area of reading.

I would err on the side of presenting a less challenging curriculum but focusing on the enjoyment of the read alouds.

It is hard sometimes for us to simply read a story for our children and allow them to enjoy it without questioning them about details. I also have to resist the urge to stop the flow of the story to ask questions to see if my children are paying attention.

The LOVE of reading preceeds the SKILL of reading. For now, focus on allowing them to love literature. Allow them to choose the books they'd like to hear at other times during the day.

It also helps to really "act it up" when you read to young children. The more dramatic, the better. This also allows them to start understanding "voice" in literature.

I agree that it is not unusual at ALL for a 5 year old child to need to *move* while being read to. Even I like to keep my hands busy when I am listening. I like to doodle or take notes, and I focus better this way.

So, maybe let him doodle or squish a ball while you read.

Oh, also, with boys I think we need to make sure they are getting plenty of outside and recreation time during the school day. They need it so very much to focus at other times.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

My 5 yo looks like a rocket ready to launch much of the time we are reading! He is SUCH a fidgeter. I try to let him move and wiggle while still having him sit by me. He likes to fidget with the blanket he snuggles in, which is so much better than when he used to fidget by tapping my lap over and over as I read. It also helps him to know that he'll have to answer questions about what was read. So I start off by saying that first - "We're going to talk about what we read when we get done, so be ready to answer questions, o.k.?" Also, I like to start with something attention grabbing, like "This is a true story, and when we get done, you are going to get to be Nancy Hart and act out this story!!!" (I look ahead at the HOD activity coming and dangle a carrot like this.) It seems to work!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:46 am

Sarah,

This is very common with little ones! With your little one just turning 6, you could easily drop him back to LHFHG (only for the left side of the plans and storytime) and then keep him going with the right side of the plans from Beyond (for language arts and math). My little guy (who just turned 6), didn't seem to be "listening carefully" either, but over time he really made beautiful gains as a listener and would often pop up with information that I had no idea he had taken it. We are finishing LHFHG with him this school year.

Blessings,
Carrie

slavila

Post by slavila » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks so much everyone!! I've decided to do LHFHG for the "left" side and Beyond for the "right". After a few more days of feeling like I'm just wasting our time and reading to the wall, I feel that this is the way to go. I want him to have fun with the readings and enjoy them, so I think this is best!! Thanks again!!!
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Sarah,

I think this is a great idea! It will give him time to grow into lengthier read-alouds and help him practice the skill of listening in bite-sized pieces! Don't expect him to be a great listener with LHFHG right away either though! :lol: It will improve but it takes time. It's a skill to be learned, just like reading, writing, and math. My little guys had to grow into being a good listener too! :D

I'm glad that you'll get a chance to use the Beyond... history once he's developed his listening skills though, because the readings in Beyond are so enjoyable then!

Blessings,
Carrie

3ringcircus

Post by 3ringcircus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:36 pm

I wanted to add that we try to do as much of the reading as we can the night before at bedtime. My kids are much quieter and willing to be still and listen then. They would rather listen to reading than have the lights out! Anything to delay going to sleep!
KL - Rev2Rev, DITHOR
E - PHFHG, DITHOR
MG - BHFHG
L - making messes and smiles

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:49 am

my 9 year old is just like this and has been for years.
So heres my advice for the future... If the problem persists.

I don't let her just "enjoy" history (that is what storytime is for) but instead I watch her while I read. When I see her start to listen to her internal monologue instead of to me. I stop and ask her to narrate at that point. She usually can. Then I start up again, holding her hand, or stroking her back ect... till she starts to zone out again. We also talk about the fact that she is zoning.. (since she is 9 not 5) I'm using a technique that helps her recognize when she zones out, so she can stop herself, and it has helped her to to last longer than one paragraph.

I have tried allowing busy hands but she becomes so focused on what she is doing, she tunes out everything else. Sitting in my lap helps too. For her physical contact really helps her stay focused... but that won't be a good habit when she goes to college...
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫