Phonics question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Christy in Texas

Phonics question

Post by Christy in Texas » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:21 am

I have Reading Made Easy for my almost 6 year old twin girls. I'm wondering if I should teach the phonics together or separately? What have you all done?
Christy, wife to Danny of 14 years, mom to
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

LeAnna

Re: Phonics question

Post by LeAnna » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:44 am

I was trying to teach both my girls, almost 5 and almost 6... using The Reading Lesson. It wasn't working out so great, so I am concentrating on teaching the older one first and then the younger one. If you think you can manage both, I would go for it, however be aware that one may not move at the same pace as the other.

Hope that helps a bit,
LeAnna :D
Last edited by LeAnna on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:00 pm

I used RME with my dd, and plan to use it with my 5 yo ds this year. I think you could teach it to them together if you want to try that. However, you would need to make sure you were taking note of the differences between them so you could work on things either of them struggle with. I believe when we did it, it took us about 20 minutes per lesson; so you could conceivably do it with them separately as well. I say try it combined; if it doesn't work, separate them. It will still only add about 20-30 more minutes to your day. :o

Happymom

Post by Happymom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:18 pm

Hello,
I have 7yr old twins so maybe I can help. :D While I haven't used the program you mentioned we have been tackling phonics for a while now :lol:. FWIW here's what I have done with my twins so far. :D

I started out teaching my two little guys together but after a few months it was evident that twin A was progressing much faster than twin B. So I slowed way down with twin B and went to a different program (I kept twin A in the original program). This helped a lot. Now that (twin B) is catching up I have them both doing the same phonics program again but I have twin A (the stronger reader) read more challenging stories to me aloud . He does this reading in addition to the reading in our program. This way we are still staying together but the more advanced twin (A) is getting what he needs. I also found that although twin A was more advanced in the reading area he was rushing any written phonics that we were doing. Having him slow down and stay with his brother in phonics has 'made' him stop and focus on what he is learning/writing. Hopefully your twins will progress at the same pace and this will be of no help :P (which would be wonderful :D ). I think the most important thing (if you keep them together) is to monitor their individual reading so you know for sure if one is not catching on quite as fast. I Hope this was not too confusing. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.
Blessings,
Amy