Hello and confession

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sharon

Hello and confession

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi from Texas!
I will be starting Beyond with my second grader next week. I have two dd 7 and 10. I started this year using TOG trying to combine both girls by using Upper Grammar, oldest daughters level, and letting the younger tag along. I have been reevaluating since October because I could see that the younger was just not plugged into the readings...too much, too long, over her head etc. She did enjoy the crafts they were the highlight of her day and that was OK, until she began to confuse all the "gods" we were learning about. So, since I have not had any peace about continuing on we have stopped TOG at this time.

I am looking at next year and wondering about combining both in Bigger or trying to do Bigger with younger and Preparing for the older. If I used two different programs I wonder if this would make for a long day leaving us with not much time for anything else? I am probably leaning more towards using Bigger with the extension pack as I think it would be easier on me and besides we still like to be together and enjoy our reading and activity time.
Oh, and for the confession, I actually BOUGHT Beyond at the first of the year and decided on TOG and RETURNED Beyond. :roll: :oops:

I've been lurking for a few days and just want to say what a wonderful group of supportive people I've found here! All of you make the board a very comfortable and welcoming place.

Blessings,
Sharon

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 pm

Don't have time to really reply...but just wanted to say "howdy Tex"! :D

Melanie
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Welcome!

I do not have a great answer for you. I know others will give you that. But just wanted to say we are doing LHFG and just got today (YEAH!) BHFG. I will be using the extension pack with BHFG as well as the program. I have no doubts that it will be easy from using LHFG and looking over BHFG. I think either way that places your kids best. If the extension pack looks like it will cover your kids nicely then it is nice to read together. But if you have to run two programs that also is not such a huge deal. So I guess I am just encouraging you and welcoming you. I know you will get some great answers here!

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm

waiting on my books to come, so no advice on the combining question, but wanted to say hello! :P
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

MommyG

Post by MommyG » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi Sharon!
I guess I would have to "confess" too then. I have everything for "Beyond" but didn't get to use but 1 month of it. *(see my intro). :wink:
We also will be starting next week or so. Pulling our children out tomorrow.
As far as using "Bigger" for both ... I am not sure about that, but know that if you had to use 2 different ones, I think you would have plenty of time for the fun.
Mindi ~ Growing Love, Children, and Gardens in WI.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:21 pm

OK...I have a few minutes now....I really am anxious to hear what Carrie and Julie would suggest for you. I think your 10 yo would be fine in either Bigger or Preparing, be sure to check the placement chart, but I'm a little worried that Bigger might be too much for a 7 yo ?? I would be more apt to go with Beyond.

Several moms on this board run two programs with no problems...I'm not one of them :wink: ...but you'll get some great advice from them!

Ok...I'm crazy...I just re-read your post...You ARE starting Beyond next week...Please excuse my dorkiness :roll: Why sure you could do Bigger after you finish Beyond :D . I still think you might want to consider Preparing for your 10yo.

Is it obvious from my post that I'm trying to do about 5 things at the same time!! :shock:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Sharon,

Oh, I am no help here, we are just starting our jouney with LHTH but, wanted to give you a warm hello!

Candice

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:29 pm

Thank You for the warm welcome!

I will have to wait for the placement chart for Preparing is up to decide about about my 10 yr old, but thats OK I have plenty of time!!

I can't wait to get started Monday!!

Blessings,

Sharon

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 am

Sharon,

Welcome! I'm so glad you'll be getting a chance to use "Beyond...". We had so much fun with it last year with our second son. He really loved the stories and all of the activities too!

As far as placement for next fall, I'd love to have you take a glance at the placement chart now that we have "Preparing Hearts..." added to it too: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Then, I'll check back later and see what you're thinking and help with placement questions any way I can!

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:31 am

It's nice to meet you, Sharon! I think the Placement chart will be helpful in giving you more information, but from my experience, Beyond... does a super job of preparing children for Bigger...

I wasn't sure my son would make the switch to Bigger... because he just loved Beyond... so much; however, after several weeks of Bigger..., it was obvious it was going to be a great fit!

I like that there are some kind of "second stage" skills that Bigger... builds on from Beyond... (i.e. narrating, timeline, copywork, etc.), and there are also some "first stage" skills that are new in Bigger... (notebooking, dictation, etc.). It's good to be stretched in some areas, when children are still feeling comfortable with older skills they learned. I think children finishing Beyond... should be ready for Bigger...

But, I would LOVE to hear what YOU think after checking out the Placement Chart! Keep us "in the know", and glad you're here!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:00 am

How great to see the placement charts up!

OK, so I think older dd would fit perfect into Preparing now. It looks like there is a lot of writing, which she needs but doesn't like to do. Unfortunately dd is a perfectionist who struggles with spelling and if she can't do it well without a struggle then she doesn't want to do it. She aces her spelling tests but really struggles with recall at a later date, so writing a paper becomes like pulling teeth so to speak.

I should say that Older dd ( 10 yr, 4th grade) is coming from PS K to BJU Homesat, to mom teaching BJU last year, to this year Mom who is trying out everything!!! So, dictation, narration, copy-work and to some extent "thinking on your own" is going to be new for her. And by "thinking on her own" I mean that our days had been spent doing fill in the blank workbook type schooling...nothing creative really.

With that in mind do you think she should do Bigger with the extension pack or Preparing next year? My local bookstore has Bigger on order for me so I will have my hands on it sometime next week and I will read through it and see what I think for her.

My thoughts on younger dd is she needs one-on-one mommie time without older dd in the picture to help her focus because I notice she zones out when we work together particularly when I am reading out loud. I feel we need to do this together so she can learn to focus on me and be accountable instead of thinking, well sisters got that covered I don't need to do anything. She also needs to learn to narrate which has not gone real well. I plan to take her through Beyond until we get finished whether that's before next school year or into it, it doesn't matter.

Oh my gosh, I didn't mean to ramble and be so long....is there a charge for therapy sessions??? :lol:

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:22 am

Sharon...you are too funny!

Well, here's an idea you could try. You're going to be starting Beyond so you could just have your 10dd do some of the exercises in the storytime box with you. These exercises (I'm not sure what to call them... :?) help teach HOW to narrate. There's also some copywork she could "practice" with. Then you could get a feel for her level.

You may be on the right track with just using Bigger with the ext. pack for her to help ease her into the HOD method. You'll have a better feel for that after you have the book actually in your hands...I love actually having the book in my hands!

BTW...I enjoyed your "ramble"...it was good helpful information! :wink:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Sharon,

I think you are right on track to separate your daughters in order to give your younger daughter time with you. My second son sounds so much like your younger daughter and keeping him in his own program really jump-started his learning. He often zoned out otherwise too and thought big brother had it covered so why bother to focus.

As to your older dd, I'm so glad that you'll be able to have "Bigger Hearts..." in your hands to look it over. That is a great way to really see whether that would be a good placement for your dd or whether Preparing would be better. The language arts (reading, writing, grammar) and the math areas are the most important when deciding correct program placement, so pay special attention to those areas when weighing "Bigger Hearts...".

Narration, copywork, dictation, etc. are acquired skills that take time to "get". Melanie had a wonderful idea about doing some of the training lessons in "Beyond..." for narration. Also, "Bigger...." has training in those skills as well. Some kiddos pick up narrating fairly easily and others really need to work at it.

Once you have "Bigger Hearts..." in hand, give us your thoughts on whether that seems to suit your older dd well, or whether you're still leaning toward "Preparing...".

Blessings,
Carrie