What type of homeschooler are YOU?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:20 pm

MamaMary wrote:I loved reading through your feedback. I was wondering if it was all Betty's using HOD, but I now see it's split, smack dab down the middle.
And that is the beauty in it. We can all use it and have fun together! And BTW I'd like to think of myself as a Betty with some wonderful Olive skills too but truth is I am a Betty with some wonderful Betty skills. hehehe!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:00 am

water2wine wrote: And that is the beauty in it. We can all use it and have fun together! And BTW I'd like to think of myself as a Betty with some wonderful Olive skills too but truth is I am a Betty with some wonderful Betty skills. hehehe!

LOL :lol: I am Betty through and through, except I have some strong Olive tendencies in weird little instances:

1- We have monthly board meetings for our support group. It drives me nuts when we get off track with personal conversations. I like to get business done and THEN I would love to sit and talk.

2- I cannot stand to be late. If I tell you something is starting at 7, it starts rigth at 7, and if I tell you that it ends at 9, I'll make sure were done by then. :roll:

My Olives who have heard this message love to make fun of my little inconcistencies. :lol:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Hey Mary (and the rest of you wonderful ladies on the board),

I was searching through back posts looking for a thread to reference when I came across this thread and realized I never responded to it. I'm sorry to say I'm an Olive (who needs to try to have a little more Betty in her :lol:).

Two of my very best friends (my sisters) are Bettys, though (with Olive tendancies), so thankfully they keep me relational and striving to be more empathetic. The Lord blessed me with both of them, or I would completely lack balance.

I had to smile as I read the list, as I was pretty sure from the opening lines where I was going to fall. It's too bad when it's quite clear-cut isn't it? :lol: That just means I have more work to do in the personality area to be a better balanced person than the rest of you girls! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 am

LOL Carrie,

I'm so glad to hear back from you. It's funny because I had originally pegged you as an Olive. Just looking at your lesson plans shows me your gift for order, but then as I started reading your gracious and detailed responses to moms on this board I told my friend that I might be mistaken, I was pretty sure you were a Betty with Olive tendencies. I'm so glad you cleared it up.

Let me just say if you are Olive dominant I definitely see the relational Betty side in your posts. You take time to make every person feel so important.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:54 am

Carrie wrote: I'm sorry to say I'm an Olive (who needs to try to have a little more Betty in her :lol:).

Two of my very best friends (my sisters) are Bettys, though (with Olive tendancies), so thankfully they keep me relational and striving to be more empathetic. The Lord blessed me with both of them, or I would completely lack balance.
And what would us Betty's do without the Olive's in our lives to keep us on track. If you weren't an Olive, you wouldn't have written this wonderful program that I as a Betty need...

THANKS.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 am

Oh LeeAnn and Mary, you are so kind! My mom is a Betty too (with Olive tendancies), :lol:, so if I am able to encourage each of you in a personal way, it is only due to being surrounded by Bettys for my whole life who are so good at that kind of thing. It must have finally rubbed off on me! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

annaz

Post by annaz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 am

"I think Olives will love HOD because it adds creativity with a purpose." :idea:

Yes!!!!! This is so true!!!! Someday I'd like to be Betty. They appear to have less stress.

Absolutely Olive!
Annaz

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:52 am

annaz wrote:"I think Olives will love HOD because it adds creativity with a purpose." :idea:

Yes!!!!! This is so true!!!! Someday I'd like to be Betty. They appear to have less stress.

Absolutely Olive!
Annaz
And I think Betty's like it because it adds organization to the creativity and that equals less stress. :lol: I am always in the middle of five things and trying to figure out where I left off with the other one. HOD clears my thoughts so I can actually think five things at once (because there is not stopping that) but at the end of the day I actually accomplished something with a clear purpose and it was still fun! 8) Plus it keeps you from those way off the deep end "great ideas" that tire you out before you even get started. I love planing (in the sort of dreaming sense of things), hate preparing (in every sense), and if figuring out how to coordinate it is too much I am sick of it before I started. So open and go is the way for me. You can fly by the seat of your pants but actually get somewhere in the process. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Candice

Post by Candice » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:42 pm

Mary,

That was so interesting, thank you for posting all of that! I had no idea being a Betty played so much into how I homeschool and how important it is to pick the right material for ME! While I think it is important to choose material that is appealing for my daughter, I see how important it is to find a program that matches up to me. As a Betty, I need to have it be super easy to implement otherwise it ends up in the pile with all of the other stuff. Thank goodness for HOD and thank goodness I have found it so early on.

I guess being able to write all over my manual (as we talked about in the other post) allows me to cut down on extra steps in the teaching process. No photocopying, no gathering papers. Everything is contained in one book and that makes me happy! I know previously I didn't want to mark up the manual in any way and you know what? We never quite got started even after many attempts. I just have to feel like I can open and go to the extreme. And yes, I love that cozy, personal feeling I get (just as you mentioned) when I have personal notations all over the manual.

Well, I loved reading through all of the info. and I am glad I ignored my short attention span that always seems to sabotage accomplishments!

Happy to be a Basic Betty! (Although I wish Olive would pop over now and then to organize some things around here!!

Thanks Mary!

Candice

netpea

writing in the manual

Post by netpea » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Candice,
I know what you mean about writing in the manual. If you look at my LHTH manual which I've used twice, you will only find dates written in. Now if you look at the Little Hearts manual, you will see writing all over it from one time through. :D .

I discovered like you that if I don't write in it, it's never "mine" and I have trouble keeping up with it. I plan on using it next year with my daughter and will just write all over it in a different color I guess. I can't justify buying it again, but I need to write in it for each kid. So if I ever get kid #3, I guess my manual will have no space in the margins left. :lol:

I tried not to write in Beyond this year, but I couldn't help myself. It's not that I ever plan to sell my manuals, but I was hoping to keep them clean for the next child. I just can't do it....

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:29 pm

I am so glad to hear about you all writing all over your manuals. I've got a four color pen and I'm scribbling all over LHTH in green this year - and I'll probably switch to red in a couple of years with ds2. It's good to know I'm not alone! :wink:
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:31 pm

I write on mine, too-but only in pencil, as I'm using Bigger with my youngest chldren and it would be wise to re-sell...of course, I might want to save it for when they have children in the future :wink:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

shera

Post by shera » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Well how's this for odd. I am definitely a left - handed olive. People say that I am very creative because I do enjoy crafts (cross stitch, needlepoint and quilting) but I follow the directions. I am at least now to the point that I can change colors. I like easy open and go curriculum. Have only a few friends but I do have a dear friend from elementary school. My dh and I are known at church as Mr and Mrs Blunt. He's pretty much an olive too so we are kind of out of balance here.

Maybe thats why I love reading Mary's and W2W posts so much being the encouraging Betty's that they are.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:38 pm

Girls, thank YOU so much for all your feedback. This was FUN! It is especially exciting to read through this thread and hear your feedback.

I am scheduled to do the next workshop Tuesday March 11th and the last time I did it was back in August. This was a shot in the arm to get me back in the mode! :D :wink: :D

7under9

Post by 7under9 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Water2Wine said:

I am always in the middle of five things and trying to figure out where I left off with the other one. HOD clears my thoughts so I can actually think five things at once (because there is not stopping that) but at the end of the day I actually accomplished something with a clear purpose and it was still fun! Cool Plus it keeps you from those way off the deep end "great ideas" that tire you out before you even get started. I love planing (in the sort of dreaming sense of things), hate preparing (in every sense), and if figuring out how to coordinate it is too much I am sick of it before I started.

WOW! There is someone else like me out there!!! I read this whole thread and started laughing, and then when I got to this post realized that I could have written it! I have just spent the past week or so pondering these thoughts about how God created me (NOT to be a one-thing at a time woman) and trying to find a way to make that work in my life instead of fighting it as I have the past 10 years or so. I am really very excited to get started with this curriculum because for the first time I finally think I can actually get hsing done AND all the million other things I want/need to do.

Thanks for posting that - you encouraged me so much by letting me know I'm not the only one!

Gina

Betty through and through, although I have a lot of Olive tendencies that seem to pop up
Gina McIntosh

Finally, a way to make money that fits around MY schedule!
The Body Shop at Home
www.thebodyshopathome.com/web/ginamc