What type of homeschooler are YOU?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks for this fun information!  I had never thought about curriculum needing to fit my teaching style. :oops:

I am an Olive...although I process by talking things out...in an organized way of course :D .  And I'm usually too quick to say yes when asked to do something :roll:

I'd love to hear your workshop, it would be so much fun! 8)

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

MamaMary

RE-VISITING!

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 5:41 am

Ok Girls,

It's that time again! We have lots of new faces on the board. I want to get this discussion going again because I am speaking at our states convention next Thursday.:shock: :? (Leaders Forum)

For those of you who already know who you are do you have any funny Betty/Olive stories? Would you share them? :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Sat May 17, 2008 8:30 am

Hi Mary,

I have not read all of the responces you got from before (although I intend to) as today is our big work day. My olive husband is gonna jump down my Betty throat if I don't get moving right away! Hehe! :lol:

On thing I would like to say that crosses my mind is that it is the Betty in me that makes me want crafts like egg shell mosaics instead of construction paper crafts. But the wonderful thing about HOD is that I can EASILY add mosaics (because of the *wiggle room*) and satisfy Betty and the tab bit of Olive in me too! :D
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat May 17, 2008 8:43 am

Ok I am a Betty (too bad this "betty" isn't referring to a totally hot babe like when I was a kid- ahh a lady can dream can't she) :wink: But I am also an Olive. I'd say I am split 50/50. I think we have to have a little of both or we'd be nutcases. We ground ourselves. lol

Since I am just starting my homeschooling journey, I don't really have too many school related Betty or Olive stories.

Let me think on it and see if I have anything pertinent to share. Excellent post by the way.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat May 17, 2008 9:06 am

What a fun thread! I think I am mostly an Olive with a little Betty sprinkled in. I really don't like routine and structure yet I thrive when I'm in it. I tend to be talkative and somewhat creative but I am very analytical. I am right handed but I think that is only because my parents forced me to be. When I used my left hand consistently as a child, they would make me switch to my right. Consequently I can do a lot of things left handed though I do usually write right handed. So I think I have aspects of both types but probably more Olive. Can I be like Tansy and be an Undecided Ursula? :P
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Jessi wrote:Ok I am a Betty (too bad this "betty" isn't referring to a totally hot babe like when I was a kid- ahh a lady can dream can't she) :wink: But I am also an Olive. I'd say I am split 50/50. I think we have to have a little of both or we'd be nutcases. We ground ourselves. lol

Since I am just starting my homeschooling journey, I don't really have too many school related Betty or Olive stories.

Let me think on it and see if I have anything pertinent to share. Excellent post by the way.
Jessi,

Yes, we all have a little bit of both. I am a Betty with spurts of Olive tendencies. How you know which way you lean is not by the characteristics/strengths or weaknesses. How did you score on the LITMUS test! :D :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 12:56 pm

susie in ms wrote:Hi Mary,

On thing I would like to say that crosses my mind is that it is the Betty in me that makes me want crafts like egg shell mosaics instead of construction paper crafts. But the wonderful thing about HOD is that I can EASILY add mosaics (because of the *wiggle room*) and satisfy Betty and the tab bit of Olive in me too! :D
I totally agree! I found that I did not like the craft portion of other curriculums. It just scheduled books that told you how to do crafts. I love how HOD says, "Grab two white paper plates and a handful of cereal, crush up the cereal and place on one plate, now using your fingers have the child pretend like it's a bee and walk around then fly to the other plate and walk around. See how much pollens left! "

HOD gives us a basic goal, that way I can add to it, if I'm feeling creative. If it's too big I don't even want to start. Does that make sense?

Tana in FL

Post by Tana in FL » Sat May 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Mary - Wanna help me figure this out? :)

#1 - I definitely pull in and contemplate before discussing. Or I type it out for myself, delete it, change it, edit it, move it around...THEN click 'submit'.

#2 - I definitely react with a "Sure!" (even when I shouldn't, sometimes!).

I'm guessing I'm an Olive since it took me forever to reply to this (I won't tell you how many times I read through it!) AND, I'm struggling to label myself.

I have many Betty characteristics though, hence my confusion. (Betty's c, d and e. Olive's a, b, c, e.) What'cha think?
Tana
DS 10: BHFHG w/ext, DITHOR, Horizons 4, CLE 4
DD 6: LHFHG, WP AW, Horizons 1, RME, CLE 1
http://allabouttana.blogspot.com/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Tana in FL wrote:Mary - Wanna help me figure this out? :)

#1 - I definitely pull in and contemplate before discussing. Or I type it out for myself, delete it, change it, edit it, move it around...THEN click 'submit'.

#2 - I definitely react with a "Sure!" (even when I shouldn't, sometimes!).

I'm guessing I'm an Olive since it took me forever to reply to this (I won't tell you how many times I read through it!) AND, I'm struggling to label myself.

I have many Betty characteristics though, hence my confusion. (Betty's c, d and e. Olive's a, b, c, e.) What'cha think?
There is a tie-breaker question:

When your sick do you like to be left alone or around others? :?:

Left Alone= Olive

Around Other's= Betty

Tana in FL

Post by Tana in FL » Sat May 17, 2008 2:53 pm

MamaMary wrote:

Left Alone= Olive

Around Other's= Betty
Ok, the simple fact that the idea that anyone, when sick, would want to be around others is mind-boggling to me. :lol: Now I know. Thanks, Mary! :D
Tana
DS 10: BHFHG w/ext, DITHOR, Horizons 4, CLE 4
DD 6: LHFHG, WP AW, Horizons 1, RME, CLE 1
http://allabouttana.blogspot.com/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Tana in FL wrote:
MamaMary wrote:

Left Alone= Olive

Around Other's= Betty
Ok, the simple fact that the idea that anyone, when sick, would want to be around others is mind-boggling to me. :lol: Now I know. Thanks, Mary! :D
Oh Tana, Rolling on the floor! :lol: :lol: Let me explain..., About a year ago I had a horrible flu bug. I was in my room under a mound of blankets. My oldest son came in and just started telling me, who had called, what the boys were doing, what dad was making for dinner, etc...,

I loved feeling his presence and hearing his voice. He didn't expect me to chat. OTOH, my husband would have kicked him out! :wink:

SandKsmama

Post by SandKsmama » Sat May 17, 2008 4:02 pm

When your sick do you like to be left alone or around others?

Left Alone= Olive

Around Other's= Betty
Oh *thank you* for posting the tie-breaker!!!!! I had read through this whole thread (for probably the 3rd or 4th time), and gone back and forth, over and over. I have many "Betty" tendencies - left-handed, disorganized, respond with "sure" rather than "no" (but that's only when someone asks me to do something like at church, etc. - when my husband is telling me about an idea he has, my initial reaction is *always* NO, that will never work!) BUT, I have lots of Olive traits too - I thrive on structure, I am very, very methodical and linear. I pull in when I'm processing something, and tend to be very "internal" in that way. I have *many* acquaintances, but very few friends.

But the tie-breaker got me ,for sure. I HATE to be around anyone when I'm not feeling well. I just want to be left completely and totally ALONE!

I will tell you, when I originally started homeschooling, I knew that I needed a curriculum with some "fun" built in, b/c it just wouldn't happen if left up to me. I also knew that I *definitely* needed the structure of a full plan, or I would completely flounder (which is why FIAR did not work for me). This is why MFW works for us, and now HOD. It has such a great balance of structure and fun.
Amanda, wife to Michael since 5/99, SAHM to Susannah (7/96), Killian (1/01, and Katrielle (8/03) and ?? (2/09), Homeschooling and loving it!!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat May 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Now I KNOW I am an Olive...because I, too, do NOT want to be around ANYONE when I am sick...kind of hard to do when married with children! :shock: :roll: :wink:

Amey

Olive Here

Post by Amey » Sat May 17, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm an Olive. For sure. :shock: I am married to a big o'l Betty! I always razz my hubby that he would be a great poltician..he literally shakes EVERY hand before he leaves a room, kisses babies..the whole shebang! This was too fun Mary! :lol:
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat May 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Wow - is it possible to be both? I feel like I have a split personality reading the strengths/weaknesses of both. I'm 1/2 and 1/2.

I need to really think on this one.

Tab