Music Study - Beyond - a little long...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dorla

Music Study - Beyond - a little long...

Post by Dorla » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:16 am

Just a few suggestions of what you can do for Music Study for CM fans and anyone else interested.

There are no written records of the music utilized in the 1500 in USA - but we know that the Amerindians were already here and they had a huge repertoire of music but an oral tradition to pass along their heritage.

Just as an intro you can talk to your children about the lullaby. "Rock a Bye Baby" is said to have been written by an english pilgrim who observed how the amerindians tied their babies in their birch-bark craddles and hung them or lean/tied them to trees while they worked. More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-bye_Baby and here http://www.oac.cdlib.org/affiliates/ima ... /B4269.jpg.
Please remember that this is general info - might not be specific info to all amerindians.

This video uses pictures and music of the flute and percussion to give you an idea of amerindian music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaQW5jWM ... re=related.

The first pilgrims did not have space to bring big instruments such as harpsichords - and were probably too poor to own one back in Europe - but they could have been familiar with the music of William Byrd, Orlando Gibbons or John Bull (listen here http://www.emusic.com/album/Trevor-Pinn ... 47966.html).

You can listen to guitar music here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4187403

We do know that they had a tradition on singing Psalms - Old Hundredth (Doxology or Praise God from whom all Blessings flow...) is one they probably sung - a capella (without instruments). If you are not familiar with this tune you can google it. I was trying to find a recording that would be faithful to the 16th century singing tradition,but I need more time...

Bach, Vivaldi, Handel are also of this era, just not in USA.

Music of Peruvian indians or Mexican indians are also appropriate for those including the history of those who "discovered" the Spanish speaking Americas.

OK, music study at this age should not be intense. Casual information is best - but often. If you do not own a CD with virginal music and motets then just play the free sample above, a different one each day. If you find recordings of amerindian music make sure it is not the modern kind - you want to start with the authentic reproductions. You want your children to be familiar with the music - just enough to broaden their horizons.

Dorla

Happymom

Re: Music Study - Beyond - a little long...

Post by Happymom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:57 am

Dorla,
Thanks for sharing all that great information and the time it took to find it!! We are using Beyond too and I will definitely add this to our studies. I especially like what you found about Rock a Bye Baby. For the actual music I am thinking that I will just go off the websites you listed and play a few samples of the tunes from there. Thanks again!! :D
Have a blessed day!
Amy

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:06 am

Dorla, you are such a sweetie to gather all of that together! I'm printing this page and putting it in my Beyond notebook.

I'm also adding in some folk songs for the later chapters in Beyond. Maybe we can get a list of those going too. I'm starting school for the day, but I'll try to see what I have and post later.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work in getting this together and posting it! :D
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 am

So glad this is of help! :D
Dorla

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:42 am

I had not even thought of doing this. What a great idea! Thanks, Dorla!

I do have classical music playing softly in the background while we are doing school. I have a collection called "Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music". It is pretty good and dd will comment on a song from time to time. I think it is a good thing to have in the background. It calms me and sets a nice tone. 8) This week I added my favorite instrumental CD called "Sunday Morning Coffee". Maybe this will develop into a 'subliminal music appreciation elective'! :wink:

Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta