Res to Ref and Mystery of History

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ChandraJ650

Res to Ref and Mystery of History

Post by ChandraJ650 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:31 am

We began the year with CtC but migrated to Mystery of History Volume 1 while still reading the poetry, Radical Book for Kids, geography (LOVE IT), scripture memory, prophecies about Christ, science, oral narration, the read-alouds, and our own timeline. It's going GREAT!! I'm looking at Resurrection to Reformation and wondering why there's a jump to MOH volume 3.
Thanks.

daybreaking

Re: Res to Ref and Mystery of History

Post by daybreaking » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:46 am

Instead of using MOH1 or MOH2, HOD uses other (phenomenal) resources to cover the history up until the time period of MOH3. (MOH3 is not used in RTR until Unit 15.)

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

ChandraJ650

Post by ChandraJ650 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:49 am

Right. I know they use other resources. Just wondering why MOH begins at unit 15. Res to Ref was designed when there was only a volume 1, so just wondering what in the first part of volume 1 prompted the decision to use other resources until unit 15. There's a MOH second edition now and a lot was changed. Just curious...

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:14 pm

I had the original volumes of MOH when it was 1, 2, and 3 (4 wasn’t written yet.). Since she put volume 3 at unit 15, and since Linda wrote 2 before volume 3 it would have been available.

I’m not sure of Carrie’s reasons, but I used the original volume 1. Both volumes 1 & 2 at the time included all of the tests, quizzes, activities, and questions in the volume with the text. It would have been difficult to schedule as a read only book; does that make sense? Whereas, volumes 3 & 4 were released with text only (as they are now) which could be used as a spine without all of the curriculum included. Today, all 4 volumes are a text with questions, etc. as a download. Ten years ago, volumes one and two were only sold as a full curriculum in a large volume for each and 3 & 4 could be bought in color with only the text.

I hope that makes sense! And, I’m only guessing of possible reasons of why.

If you called HOD, they would know Carrie’s reasons for her choices.

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:32 pm

ChandraJ650 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:49 am
Right. I know they use other resources. Just wondering why MOH begins at unit 15. Res to Ref was designed when there was only a volume 1, so just wondering what in the first part of volume 1 prompted the decision to use other resources until unit 15. There's a MOH second edition now and a lot was changed. Just curious...
I don't know if this will be helpful, but here is a thread in which Carrie discusses the history choices for RTR: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4765&p=35200&hilit= ... eek#p35200

My assumption is that Carrie found the other book choices better fit her plans for the guide and how she wanted to cover the history in that time period.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17