Encouraging Independence in Beyond/Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

Encouraging Independence in Beyond/Bigger

Post by Jaimejac » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:47 pm

I've read Carrie's post about encouraging indepdendence in Bigger.

https://heartofdakota.com/2022/02/03/ch ... -learning/

https://heartofdakota.com/2018/04/24/mo ... er-hearts/

We will be starting Bigger in the fall, but have a few more weeks left of Beyond first. I decided to start trying out some of these tips with my DS7 with the Beyond guide to see how he does. And he is doing great! It is so fun! I am having him read his rotating box activity on his own (with me right there though) and then get out his own supplies and follow the directions. He is really taking ownership and being much more creative than I would probably be!

For example, for the Science Exploration on Day 4 of Week 27 it has the student act out farm chores. The first one is to cut straw and feed the horses. After setting up his "farm", DS7 got actual STRAWS to be the straws to feed the horses! He has now turned our whole kitchen into his "farm" and is performing all the duties! He even just said our cats are real barn cats! (And actually they are, we rescued them from Grandpa's farm).
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

my3sons

Re: Encouraging Independence in Beyond/Bigger

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:13 pm

What a great idea! So glad you are seeing success with your little one taking on some independence in prep for Bigger Hearts - congratulations!!! I especially loved hearing about your son setting up his 'farm' with 'barn cats' - too precious! Thanks so much for sharing here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mgs

Re: Encouraging Independence in Beyond/Bigger

Post by Mgs » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:28 pm

Thank you!! I’ll definitely try some of this too 😊😊😊