Sensitive Topic - Is the Bible Infallible

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

Sensitive Topic - Is the Bible Infallible

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:48 am

Hi all,

I have a question on a sesnsitive topic. I am only up through doing CTC so I don't know what the upper guides say about this topic and wondering if anyone can help me out.

I am on the Call Committee for our ELCA church. I am not Lutheran myself - I attend a Lutheran church because my husband grew up Lutheran. My faith journey is a long story, but suffice it to say that I came to Christ as an adult at age 36 and have been growing in my faith since then with many of previous views changing as I have come to know more and more about the Bible.

Ok - so that said, our committee has a candidate who describes herself as "openly queer". Our church has an inclusion statement about being "welcoming to all". I believe in loving everyone and that no one should be excluded from coming to church. But I'm not sure about endorsing an "openly queer" pastor for our congregation where my children attend. I'm afraid it would conflicting to what we are teaching in our homeschool.

How does this relate to HOD? Well, I feel like we are teaching through the HOD curriculum that the Bible is infallible. Am I correct in this thinking? Is anything in it later on that relates to this topic, marriage being between a man and woman or anything like that?

I feel like this is like if you are sending your kids to PS and they are learning about evolution during the day, but you are trying to teach them creation at home.

Is there anyone who uses HOD and attends a liberal church and doesn't find any conflict in that?

I hope I'm explaining my dilemma without being offensive to anyone. I'm not asking for anyone's personal views on the matter or trying to create conflict in any way. I really feel like I'm in a tough situation and just trying to muddle my way through.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Blessings,
Jaime
Last edited by Jaimejac on Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

christianmom

Re: Sensitive Topic - Is the Bible Infallible

Post by christianmom » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:54 pm

I would very gently encourage you to read Romans chapter 1 with the thought that it could help you sort through this issue.

I remember re-reading many times over Genesis chapter 1 when we were working through the young earth versus old earth issue…it helped a lot to open my eyes to God’s Word.

We were married in an ECLA Lutheran church in 1997. We had both been raised Methodist, and it just happened to be the church we were in at the time. This is prior to the ELCA going liberal regarding this issue. We ended up switching to the Missouri Synod Lutheran a few years later which is conservative, young earth, and men in the pulpit. We left Lutheran 15 years ago, but we have stayed conservative.

All this to give you some background of why I originally choose HOD. I do believe strongly that the Bible is infallible and a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. When I found HOD, I found it standing on issues and picking books that backed up our love for Jesus and our belief that God’s Words in the Bible have been preserved by many faithful Christian’s going all the way back to Antioch where we were first given our name of Christian in the NT.

I don’t remember in particular the issue of men with men and women with women though coming up at any point in HOD (we’ve done two High School guides as our highest levels); that issue for us was discussed when they became teens because of the world we live in.

I haven’t agreed with every point of view of HOD. I have found at times a need to further explain our positions, but that is one of the beauties of homeschooling.

I tried to be gentle and understanding since I do understand the dilemma since I was raised liberal Christian, but it is hard to always communicate clearly though boards.

God Bless and prayers for your discernment.

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:16 pm

christianmom wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:54 pm
When I found HOD, I found it standing on issues and picking books that backed up our love for Jesus and our belief that God’s Words in the Bible have been preserved by many faithful Christian’s going all the way back to Antioch where we were first given our name of Christian in the NT.
You put that beautifully. Thank you christianmom. That is exactly how I feel about HOD without it explicitly saying "the Bible is infallible". And I can understand why they wouldn't make an explicit statement like that. Like you said, the beauty of homeschooling and HOD in particular is the ability to tailor it to your family's needs and I'm sure there are many HOD users of different denominations.

To give you a little more background, I am 45, so I am fairly young in my Christian walk counting it from the time I was baptized. I tell my 10 yo daughter that we are about the same age spiritually speaking. :D

And yes, having not been raised in church and going to PS, the idea of a young earth had never entered my mind until we started homeschooling and then it was a bit of bump in my mind to overcome when the children became old enough to start learning about it. While my husband supports my homeschooling, he's never been very involved in it and is often a bit hesitant when issues like this come up. He even said that if I was concerned about this potential pastor, he was concerned about what I was teaching our children. (Cringe). Ugh, the last thing I want is for him to question HOD. I love HOD.

I did go to Romans 1, and I am going to continue to ponder it. At this point, I think I am going to recuse myself from this committee. The fact is, the church is ELCA, therefore I can't push my own personal beliefs on them. I would personally like to go to a more bible-believing church, but my husband is not interested in changing churches. This is one area where I am really going to have to test my faith, my willingness to submit and give this over to God to protect my children right now.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your thoughtful comments.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

RSmith

Post by RSmith » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:28 pm

Jaime,

One of my favorite theologians, RC Sproul came from a liberal Christian background (growing up). He started Ligonier Ministries, and the Lord has greatly used that ministry to minister to me. They have a great website and app that you could use.

Some other people I would recommend you read or listen to would be Rosaria Butterfield and Becket Cook.

I’m so thankful for how HOD has ministered to you and your family. It has been such a blessing for us as well. I can’t tell you how many times the Lord has used our lessons to bring up important conversations between me and my son. I will be praying the Lord guides and directs your heart through all of this. ❤️

Blessings,

Rebecca Smith
Rebecca
Married to best friend for 11 years
Mom to 6 yr old boy (Enjoying LHFHG, Loved LHTH) and 3 yr old girl (loves all the rhymes and songs)

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:50 pm

Ok, thank you! I will look into those resources!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:24 pm

:shock: I can’t even imagine. I’ll be praying for you.

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:44 pm

Thans Mgs! I appreciate that! :)
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:02 am

In our curriculum, we teach children to do directly to their own Bible. We do not teach theology as we feel that is the right of the parent to teach. When referencing the Bible, Carrie always lists the Scripture verse so that you can use your own family Bible. Our goal is to get our children saturated in the Word of God through the integration of Scripture in almost every subject, but we leave the teaching of Doctrine to you the parent.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie