CTC Geography as Independent

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

CTC Geography as Independent

Post by Jaimejac » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:06 pm

My DD10 in CTC just suggested to me that she could read her geography independently and either narrate her field notes to me or into a recorder for me to listen to later. Is there anyone who has done this? Any reason why we SHOULDN'T do it this way? Those readings can get a little long.... :shock:
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Re: CTC Geography as Independent

Post by Mgs » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:27 pm

DS12 reads it himself… he doesn’t narrate back to me and we don’t do any of the mapping or field work. He also reads his story time book on his own… he listens in on other read Alouds. He says he likes the geography book so for me that’s enough.

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:42 pm

Isn’t there writing for the field work as well as narrations? It has been awhile since my ds did CTC, but I remember printing out travel log pages that he would write a paragraph onto. Yes?

I would think reading it would be fine for her to do on her own. In the later guides my kids have come and found me after they read, and then they take some minutes to give me an oral narration. I stop whatever I’m doing to listen. Another idea is the recording,

I definitely think she could read the geography on her own. Then I would have her do the assignments of writing or oral narrations that go with it. I enjoyed the geography book, and I did discuss a few things in it; but it is perfectly appropriate for her age.

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:39 am

Ok! Thank you! Yes, there are travel logs, and she is already doing those on her own as well as the mapping after our reading. I really enjoy the book, but I thought since she suggested reading it on her own, why not let her? She is fully capable of it skill-wise. I like the idea of having her come to me with her narration so it is fresh.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:30 am

Well, you have a good independent worker and reader in your daughter - wonderful! Just wanting to explain Carrie's intentions for this box of plans. A Child's Geography Volume II is scheduled to be read aloud by the parent in CTC for several reasons. First, it is one of the only readings the parent is responsible for reading. So, the parent is scheduled to read it aloud so the rest of the reading for the student does not become too much. Second, it is meant to be more interactive between parent and child. So, the student is not 'off alone' doing to much independent work. Third, it was chosen for its read aloud qualities. So, for these reasons, it is planned to be read aloud by the parent.

However, your daughter is 10 yo and halfway through the guide and in Resurrection to Reformation, A Child's Geography Volume I is scheduled to be read independently for Science Exploration. So, as long as your daughter is able to read the rest of the independent reading assigned in Creation to Christ (i.e. DITHOR, Reading About History, Independent History Study, Poetry, Science Exploration, Bible Quiet Time) and as long as you are meeting and iwith her and interacting with her for the "T" and "S" boxes and for correcting/follow-ups of the "I" boxes, I think it is probably just fine for her to read it on her own.

Just always want to explain the intent behind the plans! Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:38 pm

Thank you so much for the explanation! I always like to know the intention behind how a guide or a part of a guide is written. That is SO helpful in making sure we are getting the most out of the program. I wouldn't have considered her reading it independently unless she had asked to herself. It is a very good book, well written and interesting! Just as all of Carrie's choices are wonderful books! She is doing the rest of the I boxes herself and we are doing the Storytime and Bible together and we have a special meeting time to go over all of her independent work and teach her math and LA.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven