Preparing specifics/ special needs

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Preparing specifics/ special needs

Post by Mgs » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:21 am

I have twins doing preparing. One is above that level - could easily do CTC. However she did a lot last year and I feel she could use an easier year and work on other things. Her twin has always been delayed with everything. I’ve accommodated him. With bigger we didn’t do much of the writing exercises- mainly just worked hard on reading. He did nearly every rod and staff 2 exercise written- so I felt that was enough for him. This year in preparing I think he’s feeling bogged down with all the different writing exercises. I wondered if anyone slimmed it down some. Any ideas? My goal is for him to finish rod and staff 6 or 7 by the time he graduates- not even worrying if we get to any other writing curriculum because of his special needs. I hope to have algebra 1 (or more- maybe he’ll blossom?) solid by graduation…
he doesn’t just have dyslexia, but also I believe a lower IQ, difficulty processing, attention issues etc.

StephanieU

Re: Preparing specifics/ special needs

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:05 pm

First, are you doing Rod and Staff still written? We do most of it orally. I only have my kids (after Level 2) write if the material is easier done written. So that would be the actual writing assignments, diagraming, and occasionally something that is more spelling dependent. Many days I don't make them write at all for grammar.

Beyond that, I would just determine which assignments are most important to do written. If your have the time to do science questions orally, feel free to do that. If he might benefit from typing narrations, do that.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:25 pm

I am having him do most of the writing in rod and staff- otherwise he won’t retain it. That’s helpful about the science. I also feel like doing some of the other writing will be good for him- stretching him a bit- but science will be best orally (he loves science so killing it with writing would be sad).

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:34 pm

I don’t know if it will help any, but I did evens or odds for Rod & Staff which cut down the time and writing.

One of my sons really excelled once he could type and paste rather than write into the notebooks. Can he type?

I would focus on the written narrations as a top priority for writing with R&S a second priority (evens / odds are fine). Like Stephanie said, you could do the science orally.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:08 am

Did any of your children have special needs? Was evens/odds enough for retention? My DS needs a ton of repetition and doesn’t comprehend things orally (auditory processing difficulties). He is doing Rod and Staff 3 this year (though he’s technically a 5th grader). I feel the amount of work in 3 is just right for him. He doesn’t type (he barely writes). He struggles with typing. Struggles with speaking (so speech to text would not work). He does okay with read alouds, but not narrating back. He does ok with copywork- so I may have him copy a short narration I help him come up with). I am ok if he ends up just doing rod and staff all through highschool. I’m going to try the narrations though as outlined in preparing.

Thank you!!

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:54 am

My youngest was born with Down syndrome so I’m very familiar with full-on special needs.

We’ve always taught her according to her ability rather than her age or grade. At age 13 she did LHTH a second time and was able to do it fully as written. I was thrilled! This coming school year she will be doing LHFHG at age 14. For her, I had her complete 3 different preschool programs and LHTH twice before she was truly ready to move on. I think she will do well with LHFHG, but we may have to do it twice…I have to see how it goes.

She learns a lot of what other kids learn it just takes longer. For example, she walked at age 3 rather than age 1. Then there is the list of what she may never learn (long list), and her gifts that she brings to life are different since God knit her in the womb to have a different life journey. Our job is to help her as much as we can. 🤗

As for Rod and Staff, Carrie uses it through High School. Book 6 is far more grammar than I ever had in a gifted program or in college. I’ve learned so much from Rod and Staff! If he gets through book 6 (Carrie schedules the second half of 8 for 12th, but he could easily do 6 for 12th instead) he will know a lot of grammar. I would just keep working through it, and if he needs all of the problems to retain you could do 1/2 a book a year and still get through book 6.

Studies show that an average girl is 6 months ahead of a boy of the exact same age. I think if it was me, I would have the twins do their own guides and work at their own paces.

Special needs kids just need more time. I don’t know what is considered special needs at this point beyond Down syndrome (it seems like a lot has been added to it), but I do know the schools don’t graduate DS until age 21 which is the earliest I would graduate my dd.

I hope something here helps since I know DS is on the extreme end of learning delays.

In Christ &
God Bless, ❤️🙏

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:58 am

Thank you so much for the information!!! I do think he can go through at least half a book of rod and staff a year. He may get through more than I foresee now- but the pacing, constant review, and clear written instructions is gold. I’ve thought about doing separate guides! We will see. She loves the freedom of not having a plate too full (her love of school is coming back) and there’s some areas in preparing she needs easier to boost her confidence and get past her attitude of not being able to do something ☺️. She’s doing her own level of rod and staff.