DITHOR placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

DITHOR placement

Post by Mumkins » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:52 am

My kids are coming home from school. They've had very little literature study. Maybe the basics like characters and setting. Wondering if it'd be ok to place my 7th grader in 4/5 and 4th grader in 2/3? My 4th grader would get through all the books by 8th grade at 2 years per book. But my 7th grader would start highschool only completing 4/5. Or should I do half of 4/5 with him this year and switch into 6/7/8 for him next year? He'll likely be doing online highschool so wont be able to finish DITHOR in highschool.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

christianmom

Re: DITHOR placement

Post by christianmom » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:16 am

I would place them based on reading level rather than literature study experience since DITHOR will walk them through the literature study.

My dd did MTMM and DITHOR last year for 8th. She hadn’t done any literature study except for one year of DITHOR Level 2 when she was much younger. She did great with DITHOR Level 6/7/8 with the 7/8 girl book pack. She did the study for every book in the pack for the one year instead of two. When she started High School literature a few months ago in early April she was more than ready for the analysis and in-depth reading levels.

Where do you think their reading would place? If you look at the book packs, I would get the pack that matches their reading level and then pick the DITHOR level that goes with it.

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:09 am

I'm not sure my older son's reading level. He doesn't like reading, at all. I'm trying not to overwhelm him. My younger son's teacher told me he was reading at a 5th grade level about half way through grade 3. Not a big fan of reading. I was planning on the 5/6 pack for my older son and 3/4 for the younger. I'm hoping to get them into books that will excite them about reading.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:23 am

It looks like your first placement for levels fits your book packs!

The 5/6 pack goes with the 4/5 level DITHOR.
The 3/4 pack goes with the 2/3 level DITHOR.

I have one son who doesn’t enjoy reading as much so I completely understand putting your son at a level that encourages and flourishes the reading rather than overwhelm.

You can see where he is at in a year, but if he can do it with success your initial plan of 1/2 of level 4/5 for 7th and then 1/2 of 6/7/8 for 8th I think would prepare him for High School.

❤️