Math for 5th grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Math for 5th grader

Post by Mgs » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:48 am

Hello! I’ve been using math mammoth and I’m wondering if there’s a better option. What do you use? I was thinking of getting Singapore. Also seeing apologia- however it looks a lot more gentler. The reason for switching is that DD9 really just hates math mammoth. She eventually understands but she has such a hatred for it that it’s hard to get through that in order for her brain to allow me to teach 😂.

Jaimejac

Re: Math for 5th grader

Post by Jaimejac » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:17 am

I'm not familiar with Math Mammoth - is there something specific she doesn't like about it?

We use Singapore and like it. It took a little bit of adjusting to their style of teaching when we started it a few years ago, but once we got used to it it's been great. My daughter is almost done with 4B and my son is in 2B.

Blessings,
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:30 am

What do you use to teach it? Do you use home instructors guide?

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:56 am

Sometimes...I like to have the Home Instructor's Guide on hand in case I need it, but I don't always. Especially for the younger years using the textbook is enough. So it's only if my child is struggling with a concept and I've come to the end of the ways I know to teach it that I will then turn to the Home Instructor's Guide to look for new ideas. I think for the older years where it's likely I don't remember how to do the math, that I think the Home Instructor's Guide will be helpful as well.

Blessings,
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:28 pm

I’ve used different math routes for different kids.

My oldest who gets math naturally did Singapore when he was younger, and then he did Saxon 7/6 thru current Calculus. He has loved all of it because he loves math.

My second didn’t take to math. He initially did Singapore, but he wasn’t learning with it so I switched him to BJU. It was a great fit through Pre-Algebra. He is doing MUS for High School, and he is finally enjoying math and really understanding it!

My third needed color. She doesn’t like math, but she is decent at it. She also started with Singapore, but it didn’t click. I switched her to BJU, and she is now in 9th doing BJU Algebra. The elementary cute / color factor was a hit for her with BJU in the elementary years.

My fourth is using BJU Kindergarten. Too cute!

I’ve taught all of them. It really depends on the kid. My oldest learns math like I did, and so he was the easiest to teach math to since he intuitively understands math. I’ve had to work harder teaching the others, and I would say both BJU and MUS are solid in their approaches to math.

I hope my journey helps some as you think through what will work best for you & your children. My understanding has been Math Mammoth is similar to Singapore.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:12 am

I forgot She did do Singapore briefly before I switched everyone to math mammoth. She did ok with it, but it was only 2a. I’m hesistant to switch back because most of it is her attitude. I’m not sure if I should push through this or make a switch 🤔. Maybe I’ll try addressing her behavior through incentives/consequences first. My oldest has mild ASD and they have much in common!