Sneak Peek: New Middle School Math Choices

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RookieAce

Sneak Peek: New Middle School Math Choices

Post by RookieAce » Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 am

Critical Thinking Pre-Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra I

Introducing… three new math choices for middle school and beginning high school! In Critical Thinking Company’s Understanding Pre-Algebra, Understanding Geometry, and Understanding Algebra I, award-winning author Terri Husted puts her 35 years of experience teaching math to excellent use!

Understanding Pre-Algebra offers a different approach because it organizes concepts in a logical fashion, making sure students receive the prerequisite skills necessary for success. Understanding Geometry covers geometry in a step-by-step approach that teaches the basics of geometric proofs and coordinate geometry in a way students can easily understand that prepares them well for standardized testing. Understanding Algebra I presents the most essential algebra concepts and skills needed to build understanding and gain confidence. It helps students see the connection between mathematics that they already know and algebra, so that learning algebra becomes easier and less abstract.

Pre-Algebra Concepts and Mastering Essential Math Skills

Presenting… two more new middle school math choices written by talented author Rick Fisher! Tens of thousands of students have used and found success with both Pre-Algebra Concepts - Mastering Essential Math Skills and with Mastering Essential Math Skills!

These new, completely edited versions include award-winning online video tutorials. Lessons are presented in an easy-to-understand format that flows smoothly and logically. Lessons are short, concise, and to the point. They give numerous examples with step-by-step solutions and offer helpful hints for success. Reviews build into each lesson, and problem solving ensures that students apply their knowledge to real-life-situations. Pre-Algebra Concepts - Mastering Essential Math Skills includes extra quizzes, a handy glossary, and a resource center. It helps students master the skills necessary for future success in Algebra. Mastering Essential Math Skills is a perfect Pre-Algebra/Algebra preparation course. This program works well for seventh or eighth grade students who need to firm up foundational skills, or for older students who have struggled with math in the past.

Rice

Re: Sneak Peek: New Middle School Math Choices

Post by Rice » Fri May 26, 2023 10:30 am

For those of us interested in using your new suggestions, but who didn't use Singapore, do either of these programs offer placement tests?

I'm loving all your new suggestions and look forward to hearing feedback on the ones I don't need for a year or two. (For example, with both a boy and girl in CTC I'm looking forward to hearing more about the boy/girl writing choices in MTMM and whether I'll be able to teach them both with the same program.)

Thanks for all your hard work on making HOD even better! These additions are looking amazing!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics