Reading Made Easy vs. New Phonics Choices

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

Reading Made Easy vs. New Phonics Choices

Post by Jaimejac » Sat May 20, 2023 7:19 am

How do the new phonics choices compare to RME? I already have RME and was planning on using it with my son when he starts Little Hearts in the fall. But I'm curious how the new phonics choices compare and if perhaps one of those would be better. He knows most of his letters and sounds, but gets confused with the vowel sounds still and sometimes leaves off the last letters of the alphabet when singing the song. I really liked the look of the Learn to Read Activity Book so I've ordered that from Amazon to do over the summer with him. REAL Phonics with the readers looks really fun too, so I'm not sure if we would want to transition into that or RME.

Thank you!
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Reading Made Easy vs. New Phonics Choices

Post by Carrie » Thu May 25, 2023 1:51 pm

Jaime,

It sounds like your son could benefit from going through Learn to Read first. It is just a two page spread a day, and a very gentle introduction to hearing sounds in words, reading words, and then, at the very end reading some sentences.

The transition from Learn to Read into Real Phonics is a really smooth one too! :D I know my little ones would’ve loved it.

Blessings,
Carrie

Jaimejac

Re: Reading Made Easy vs. New Phonics Choices

Post by Jaimejac » Thu May 25, 2023 6:07 pm

So you might recommend transitioning him into REAL Phonics over Reading Made Easy? He LOVES the Learn to Read book! He flew through the first few lessons, but he is struggling with the lessons that have blending the sounds into words. He's just not hearing it when I say the sounds separately for him to blend. But he really enjoys the listening games where I say a sound and a syllable and he has to guess the word. We'll just go slow with the blending and work on it over the summer. The first day he tried it, afterwards, he grabbed a book and started trying to sound out words like "yes" and others. So he seemed excited by the idea that he knew what the process is, he just is having trouble hearing the blended sounds I guess.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven