Sneak Peek: New Elementary Math Choices

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RookieAce

Sneak Peek: New Elementary Math Choices

Post by RookieAce » Fri May 19, 2023 3:24 pm

We are excited to be adding two outstanding, new elementary math choices - Math With Confidence and Apologia’s Exploring Creation With Mathematics. This is the first time we have added new elementary math options in 20 years, and we know you will love what these program have to offer!

Math With Confidence

Math With Confidence is an easy-to-use program that features short, daily lessons 4 days a week. Scripted, open-and-go lessons are both friendly and approachable with hands-on games, activities, real-life context, and helpful tips. Straightforward, colorful worksheets help students practice new concepts and review previously-learned material. For each level of Math With Confidence, all you need is the Instructor Guide, a Student Workbook, and common household materials (like coins, a ruler, a clock, small toys/stuffed animals, etc). Math With Confidence is currently available for grades K-3 with a new level releasing each year through grade 6. Your kids will learn to love math as they use Math With Confidence!

Apologia Math

Apologia's Exploring Creation with Mathematics helps students make strong connections between math, science, and our Creator! Rather than simply studying abstract mathematical principles, connections are taught so students understand the value of math as “the language in which God has written the universe.” This course features a 4-day weekly schedule that reflects a systematic progression from one skill to the next. Each level requires the Teaching Guide and an All-in-One Student Text (as well as a selection of household objects). Interactive lessons begin with an illustrated hands-on activity, followed by clear practice problems. Colorful activity pages, fun games, and intriguing projects ensure students are ready for new math concepts. Options and suggestions for adjusting a lesson if your child is struggling - or if your child is advancing quickly - are also provided. Apologia Math is currently available for grades 1-5 with Level 6 releasing next year. Exploring Creation With Mathematics is a well-designed math course that your children will love!

Just the Facts

Just the Facts is perfect for students who have mastered addition and subtraction and are ready to learn multiplication, division, and other basic operations. Help your student discover or reinforce third grade math concepts with 45 easy-to-teach lessons. Each lesson is first done with the student, side-by-side, followed by 1-3 pages of independent work. This math curriculum is designed specifically for visual learners, utilizing many visual aids. It is well-suited for students who have struggled with reading and/or may have memory difficulties. We recommend this program for students as a summer precursor to a third-grade math program or as rescue program for a fourth or fifth grader who has struggled with multiplication and division facts.

RSmith

Re: Sneak Peek: New Elementary Math Choices

Post by RSmith » Fri May 19, 2023 5:02 pm

These look like great choices! Beyond is our next guide, so I’m excited about all the new things! I do have a quick question though: will Singapore still be an option for math?
Rebecca
Married to best friend for 11 years
Mom to 6 yr old boy (Enjoying LHFHG, Loved LHTH) and 3 yr old girl (loves all the rhymes and songs)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 19, 2023 8:28 pm

Rebecca,

Absolutely! We are keeping our tried and true favorites that have stood the test of time! :D Now you will have 3 options for elementary math. They are all great! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

RSmith

Post by RSmith » Fri May 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Oh, great! I have really enjoyed using Singapore this year. It is so fun and simple. The other options look great too!
Rebecca
Married to best friend for 11 years
Mom to 6 yr old boy (Enjoying LHFHG, Loved LHTH) and 3 yr old girl (loves all the rhymes and songs)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 19, 2023 8:50 pm

Rebecca,

We loved using Singapore math with our boys too! It prepared them so well for higher level math. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Sat May 20, 2023 7:12 am

These look wonderful! I used Math with Confidence Kindergarten and 1st Grade with my son before we started HOD and switched to Singapore. They were great programs. I thought I'd switch to Singapore for my youngest when he starts Little Hearts in the fall, but now that HOD will be using MWC, I might have him do that instead.

Have you considered carrying the math picture books Kate Snow recommends with each MWC program? It would be neat to be able to buy those books as sets along with the MWC books.

Blessings,
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven