MTMM for highschool

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

MTMM for highschool

Post by Mgs » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:56 pm

I am just curious why the science is deemed as not enough? It looks like plenty to me, and possible to just add a little to it if it’s not. They are using a highschool science text, plus tons of other resources. Genuinely curious, two of my children will likely be using it for highschool.

StephanieU

Re: MTMM for highschool

Post by StephanieU » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:42 am

For MtMM, The Elements is not a high school level book. The Evolution book is high school level, so you could align half a credit for that if you add in the tests/worksheets (HOD only has you do some of them because of time).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:33 am

Just trying to think it through- if I feel it’s enough it can be enough right? I could add in some things for the elements that’s a bit unschooly. I live in NYS so there are stricter rules here but I feel my boys would learn far more from HOD than many of their peers with traditional highshool science courses, even if they look nice on a transcript- most just learn enough to pass exams.
It looks like I only need 1 year of US history, so I could also do a lighter non HOD highschool history in one year to focus more on the sciences. Perhaps using much of the resources/books.
Attachments
0191236F-A356-4A87-BC8A-8E32CB4241E7.jpeg
0191236F-A356-4A87-BC8A-8E32CB4241E7.jpeg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 877 times

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:18 pm

We were in New York for a year of our homeschooling, and it can be a challenge! MTMM could be Life Science ?. WG science could be Physical Science.

The Evolution book is High school (9th - 12th: Master books web-site)
The World of Chemistry is High School level (see the Master book web-site that has it for 9th-12th)

My daughter last year for MTMM learned a lot from The World of Chemistry. I have a Chemistry minor, and I was very pleased with the foundation the book lay.

You could do this sequence:
9th MTMM: Intro to Chemistry, Evolution and Creation
10th WG: Integrated Chemistry and Physics with lab
11th WH: Biology with lab and Health
12th US History I: Chemistry with Lab

They would have 3 credits with lab and Biology and Chemistry and my son learned a lot from the Integrated Chemistry / Physics in WG. I have looked at a lot of college requirements the past year and most are 2 or 3 credits of science with 2 credits of lab.

I know people used to use MTMM for High School before she wrote High School guides.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:00 pm

Thank you! That is super helpful. I guess subbing out science isn’t a huge deal either. Depends on what he wants to get into!

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:34 pm

I live in NY, too. :-)

We used HOD from Beyond on up for my son, who is just finishing up his first year of college at a local university (well, actually, he's attending two separate universities, pursuing two separate degrees at the same time ... oh, my! :shock: )

I was surprised when I discovered that New York only requires 2 units of science for homeschoolers and no foreign language. I considered the regulations to be the "bare minimum" one should cover, as I knew the requirements wouldn't be enough to prepare one for college. We opted for 4 years each of science, history, math, and English and found that easy with using HOD. :-) I do think you have a lot of flexibility as to which science you cover, and I know of folks who have successfully used MTMM, with adjustments, for high school, although it is my understanding that colleges will be looking to see the core courses of biology, chemistry, and physics on a student's transcript. FWIW, we also added in the science from US History 2 (astronomy, geology, and paleontology) and found it to be a "breadth of fresh air" after the more rigorous sciences.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:40 pm

Since NY only requires try credits, I wouldn't even worry about it. You get three credits in WG-US1 if you follow Carrie's suggestions. Some add in a few things and follow the publisher of IPC's suggestion and award 2 credits. So that would get you 4 credits! So unless your child is going into a STEM program, you have enough.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:38 am

Thank you! I think he does want a stem field! So that is also why I don’t mind a bit lighter history so we can focus on math/science/writing. I didn’t think about highschool credit requirements being different from college. Though I think he will likely do community college first to save money.