Dithor 2 book order

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Dithor 2 book order

Post by Mgs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:40 pm

Hello! I want to add in the dithor books. DS9 and DD6 both completed emerging readers this year. Is there a quick reference for what order to go in? I’m ordering from library.

Rice

Re: Dithor 2 book order

Post by Rice » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:13 pm

It depends how you use them.

If you are using the workbooks, you can choose to do the genres in any order, but any time there are 2 books planned for one genre, you will want to order those together.

However, if your child isn't ready for lit analysis and you want to use the books just for reading, without using the DITHOR workbooks this year, then it's my preference to read them in order of difficulty. Here they are, listed by genre in the order they're listed on the website, which genre they're listed as, and for how many days, but with the grade level added, as listed by HOD.

3.4 BIO Amelia Earhart: Young Air Pioneer Howe 15 days
3.0 ADV Stone Fox Gardiner 10 days
4.2 ADV Dolphin Adventure 5 days
3.4 HIS Hannah 5 days
3.3 HIS Pioneer Cat 10 days
3.0 FAN The Littles 10 days
3.5 FAN The Storm 5 days
3.6 MYS The Treasure of Pelican Cove 15 days
4.0 FOLK Sammy and His Shepherd 10 days
3.0 FOLK McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre
Farm 5 days
n/a N-F One Small Square: Backyard 15 days
4.1 HUM Capyboppy 10 days
4.0 HUM Who's That Stepping on Plymouth Rock 5 days
4.1 R-F The Secret School 15 days

If you do them by difficulty, moving from the ERs to DITHOR Level 2 is an easy transition - several of the books overlap in difficulty. And my kids have really enjoyed the books, so it makes it enjoyable for all. Don't forget to have them read aloud at least a few times per week still!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:12 am

Yes I’m doing in order of difficulty! Thank you, do you have level 3s order?

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:58 am

Yes. But not in an easy format for sharing on the Message Board.

You could email me through the Board and i could send it to you or, if you are on FB, there is a PDF copy available in the Heart of Dakota Fan Page. (One of all books HOD sold as of 2020; another of just thr ER and DITHOR books.)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:03 am

Thanks! I emailed you, I don’t have Facebook 😕

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:10 am

Mgs wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:03 am
Thanks! I emailed you, I don’t have Facebook 😕
File sent by email! :)
Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:57 am

Thanks!! Found the ER/Dithor pages 😊

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:25 am

I was listening to my DD6 read aloud and she actually does need to go through the emerging readers out loud with me. I had many of them and she seemed to be reading them all fine, but I think she needs to do it slower and out loud so we can make sure she’s more accurately reading them. When are emerging readers introduced? Is it after all the phonics is finished? She did AAR1 and I just switched over to phonics pathways so she can go more quickly. I was thinking of starting the ER now while doing the rest of her phonics. I already owned a ton of phonics before using HOD so I do not know where their recommended phonics ends. Phonics pathways will take her through grade 4 phonics.

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:44 am

We go straight from How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons into the ERs, but with a program that has more levels it may be harder to tell when to switch. I have heard others who use AAR say that mid level 2 or at the end of level 2 is a good time to switch to the ERs. Others have gone to complete level 4, then jumped into the DITHOR books.

If you have the ERs on hand, then you could switch whenever she is ready for the Bible you chose.

The schedule for the ERs, along with questions following Bloom's Taxonomy, are included in the Appendix of both Beyond and Bigger. (If she isn't in those guides yet - if she is still in LHFHG - then it is worth buying the Beyond guide with the ERs, then HOD will take the price of the guide off of the package price when you are ready to purchase it.)
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:49 am

Thank you! She is in LHFHG, but I already have beyond, so that is good to know. Also helps to know when others have started in AAR so thank you!

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:11 am

In answer to the phonics / emerging reader question, I thought I would share what I did and what I’m currently doing:

My daughter currently doing LHFHG is doing it with Rod and Staff first grade readers and phonics; it is similar to pathway readers and phonics. When she completes the grade 1 phonics and LHFHG, she will go to the emerging readers in Beyond with the questions in the back without phonics.

I have two who are now both in High School who did Beyond emerging readers with the questions in the back with the Beyond program after finishing grade 1 phonics (one did grade 1 phonics and readers with Rod and Staff and the other with Bob Jones). I used to read one page aloud of the emerging reader then I would have my child read one page aloud; I would go back and forth with them reading and then me reading. Then they would answer the questions.

My oldest did grade 2 phonics with Rod and Staff for 2nd grade when he was already reading long chapter books. I didn’t think the grade 2 phonics were necessary so I didn’t go onto grades 3 & 4; I then decided to stop phonics after grade 1 for the other 3.

Where I did do phonics though is in Rod and Staff spelling which I added to the dictation. This was purely a personal choice, and one that most think is unnecessary. I had them go through the grade 8 spelling. They all needed it for spelling more than reading.

See what she needs, and hopefully something I wrote helps!

Blessings,

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:49 pm

Thank you! I actually do use rod and staff spelling for 2 children without dyslexia. This one obviously does not have dyslexia either so I plan on switching her over to rod and staff spelling eventually with the dictation. We just did Floss together (she read the beginner bible already) and it went fine. Having her read aloud will help immensely. I am so glad to have remembered the other dithor books because now I can just plug in literature for my other children, using even more of the guide. I’m actually feeling less overwhelmed by dithor- maybe I’ll use it someday.