RE: HAS ANYONE USED HOOKED ON PHONICS FOR LHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
savedbyloveandmercy

RE: HAS ANYONE USED HOOKED ON PHONICS FOR LHFHG?

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Hi! I just posted with a question for math, and now I have one for phonics/reading, as well.
We already have Hooked on Phonics, and we've been using it, but we're still in Level 1. My son doesn't mind it, but does struggle with it at times, with occasional (I know that there will be struggles when learning to read).
I just wonder if anyone else has used it, and might have any positive/negative opinions on it. I've read quite a few reviews on The Reading Lesson and Reading Made Easy, and they look great, but if HOP
will work out, then I don't have to spend the extra money (as my husband was injured and out of work for three months :shock: ). On the other hand, if these programs are better, than I'd rather do it right, and just use one of them.
I would sure appreciate any help on this!

One more un-related question -
Does LHFHG cover time and money?

Briana

eazbnsmom

Re: RE: HAS ANYONE USED HOOKED ON PHONICS FOR LHFHG?

Post by eazbnsmom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:54 am

Hi,

I have used HOP (which was given to me by my mom) very sucessfully with my oldest daughter when she was 6. My 2nd daughter not as sucessfully....I believe the pictures were a distraction for her. She would look at the pictures in the little HOP books and guess what she though it was supposed to say. I would have to cover the pics and make her look at the words. I continued to use HOP because that is what I had (and like yourself didn't want to spend the money on a different program if I didnt have to), but also supplemented with an old reader (Jones 1st reader which I had picked up at abook sale years before) and CLP Phonics A (which someone had given me). Finally things began to kick in right before she turned 8 in March. I don't know if it was because she was finally ready to learn or if it was a combination of the the things used or if she is slightly dyslexic. I did start using HOP on my 3rd child (a boy this time) and he was doing very well with it when we ended school this spring.

I would say if your son is progressing with HOP then to stick with it. How old is your son?
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:59 am

If HOP is working, than I would suggest staying with it. We tried The Reading Lesson and my DD did not like it. So we now use Progressive Phonics and she is doing very well. And it doesn't change any of the LHFHG program.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:37 am

We used HOP sucessfully last year with LHFHG. I plan to use it with my other two boys when they are ready.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:15 am

We are using The Reading Lesson. It has been great for one of my kids, and not so great for the other. If HOP is working for you, then I wouldn't change. I know a few people that have used it and they all seem to like it.

LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:01 pm

Briana,

I agree with the ladies that if HOP is working overall for you, just keep on going! The "unwritten rule" with math and phonics programs is... "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!" :lol:

LHFHG is designed to work with any phonics program you choose!

Blessings,
Carrie

gingel

Post by gingel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Dear Briana:

I just discovered HOD this summer and we started Beyond and Little Hands a couple of weeks ago. We are loving it! (well, except for math, but that's a different post :) ) I did all of the HOP boxes with my dd. She loved the phonics reading books that went with them, but the actual practice became a chore. I felt like it was introducing her to most of the sounds and was important, so we would set the timer for 15 minutes and trudge through it. I also thought she needed written practice with it, so I found a couple of phonics workbooks and pulled out pages that correlated with the sounds she was learning in HOP. When we were almost done w/the program, I found that HOP sells wkbooks on their website. I've also read on another site that several Moms have had success with Explode the Code and HOP together, which is probably what I will try with my son.

A college reading teacher friend reminded me that HOP is a "teach to read" program and not a literature program, so for depth, we read lots of books from the library. With using HOD, though, you won't have to supplement in that way.

Happy reading!
~Gingel

First time user of DITHOR and BLHFHG with 7yo DD
LHFH with 4yo DS

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:12 pm

We are currently using HOP with LHFHG. My daughter is doing well with it and is in the orange book currently. I do use Explode the Code with it to reinforce concepts. I also used the computer disc for the yellow book with her. I did have to cover some of the pictures in the books used for the yellow workbook, however since she has moved up to the orange book that doesn't seem to be a problem.

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Thanks to all of you for your help. Kay, to answer your question, the son I was referring to is 7, and unfortunately, because of my past frustration and discouragement, he's behind where he should be, but I strongly believe that this curriculum will help us to catch up, and I can't wait to get started! I also have another son who is 4, and we'll start him on LHTH.

Thanks again for all the support!

Briana