Hurricane Heading Our Way

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Hurricane Heading Our Way

Post by MamaMary » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:16 am

Hi HODies,

I know YOU GALS will understand what I'm about to share. (My husband thinks I'm NUTS!) We have a storm that is forecasted to turn into a level one hurricane. It's on track to make landfall right here in Florida. As a matter of fact, many of the models are showing it coming on land right in my frontyard. It's only a level one so we will not evacuate! (PTL) My husband will be on Mandatory overtime. (law enforcement) Which leads me to what I think makes perfect sense.....,

Everyone's running around grabbing canned goods and water and I am grabbing my HOD manuels! Hey, If the worst case scenerio happens and the storm does not change it's track. (which it always does) What else are we gonna do? When we got hit with all those hurricanes a few years ago we would spend hours without electricity and I thought..., grab a candle, my manuel, our books and hunker down!

Though I feel a perfect peace about this storm it is a prayer request. We live on a peninsula and and so my prayer is that it not strengthen beyond a one. I actually like a good storm. (Ok, maybe a hurricane is a bit extreme)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

crlacey

Re: Hurricane Heading Our Way

Post by crlacey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:30 am

Mary,
I'll be praying for you and your family. Hopefully you won't be without power for long. We had the opportunity (if you want to call it that) to go through Wilma when it was a category 3 while on vacation. My hubby who enjoys storms was fascinated. We spent the day in bed watching movies with our 2 yr old. She didn't have any idea that anything was wrong except that it was raining too much to go see Mickey! Anyway I hope you and your property come through unharmed. I'll be watching your area more closely now.
Crystal
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:51 am

Praying for you this morning. I hope that everyone and everything will be okay, and that your area will escape the brunt of the storm.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 am

Praying for you Mary.

I understand liking a good storm too...just not one that causes lots of damage and destruction. We don't get many hurricanes up this way and when we do they have usually lost most of their strength, often they have been down graded to a tropical storm.

Anyway, have fun and I''ll be praying that it is a fun storm and everyone stays safe and that there is no damage.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:33 am

I thought about you Mary when I saw it on the news! I'll pray for you.

I have to say, I'd grab my manual too and probably a few other homeschooling things.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:47 am

LOL, well I did end up grabbing bottled water and chocolate. (You can never have enough chocolate if your stormed in) :wink: A lot of Floridians became de-sensitized a few years ago when we were hit with so many hurricanes. The media really hypes us up and you hunker down and it's nothing more than a bad storm. However, I try not to get too comfortable because the one time we don't prepare, will be the one time it hits and we could be in trouble!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:41 am

MamaMary wrote:LOL, well I did end up grabbing bottled water and chocolate. (You can never have enough chocolate if your stormed in) :wink: A lot of Floridians became de-sensitized a few years ago when we were hit with so many hurricanes. The media really hypes us up and you hunker down and it's nothing more than a bad storm. However, I try not to get too comfortable because the one time we don't prepare, will be the one time it hits and we could be in trouble!
HOD manuals, bottled water, chocolate! Well I say your priorities are right on track! Can't ask for anything else! LOL :lol: :lol:

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:15 pm

When is the storm supposed to hit?? Praying for you.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:31 pm

netpea wrote:When is the storm supposed to hit?? Praying for you.
Tuesday! However, a lot can happen before that. When it comes out of Cuba if it is even a hair early or late it totally changes the direction. We were put under a hurricane watch a few hours ago and the canceled school for Monday. (first day) The current track literally has it going right over us. But rarely do they stay on the original coarse. (hopeful smile)

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Oooh, scary stuff Mary!
Here in AZ not much happens, except heat and that's not an issue if you like it, and the occasional person who gets caught in a wash flood.
Keep us posted!!!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:19 pm

annaz wrote:Oooh, scary stuff Mary!
Here in AZ not much happens,
What do you mean not much happens! You have our next President coming out of your beautiful state :D (I couldn't resist. I was so proud of him last night at Saddlebrooke :!: :!: :!:

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:32 pm

With all considered, I certainly hope so. Saddlebrooke, huh? That's right by me!!!! :shock: I guess I've been busy doing school stuff, instead of watching and listening! :wink:

Tana in FL

Post by Tana in FL » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi Mary!

We're gearing up, too. We're also in the possible projected path. We've been tracking all the storms and plotting them on our wall-sized map. My DH and son are especially enjoying it. They are tracking all of the Tropical Depressions, Storms and Hurricanes.

Got sidetracked. LOL!

We have been and will be praying too, Mary! Stay safe! Our electricty goes out when it sprinkles (we live in the country), so we're waiting to see what happens.
Tana
DS 10: BHFHG w/ext, DITHOR, Horizons 4, CLE 4
DD 6: LHFHG, WP AW, Horizons 1, RME, CLE 1
http://allabouttana.blogspot.com/

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:39 pm

I'll be praying for you Mary & Tana! Hurricanes sure sound scary to me...probably because we don't get many in Kansas. :lol: Tornadoes are old hat here...but we were sure thankful for some near misses this year! I'll hope to see your smiling faces on the board on Wednesday. (That'll mean you have power. :wink: Long power outages are difficult...at least our week this winter was. We're blessed to have my husband's parents only a mile away, but the generator won't milk cows, cool the milk, and power the house at the same time.)

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:08 am

Mary,

Praying for you and all the other Hurricane Hodies. I am watching the news now and praying that it calms or diverts. Be safe!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)