here's what I'm doing with our HOD to prepare for the year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
6timeboymom

here's what I'm doing with our HOD to prepare for the year

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:12 am

Like I got time on my hands! rofl!!
I convinced DH I would be SO productive with a laminator and a comb binder that he bought them. So, in preparation for our school year, here's what I've done! My oldest is doing DITHOR level 8. I had the copy shop cut the binding off, and I copied it and comb bound it into his own personal workbook. (Can I say how much I love the ability to copy for my family?) Then I added to that notebook some pages for vocabulary activities. For the next three, who are doing Bigger together, I made a notebook page in three categories: people, places, and events. I printed a page for each person we are going to timeline, each event we are going to talk about and then several maps for the map work. Then I comb bound that into a "History" notebook. Then I took their language arts books (they are all doing the Queen ones) and cut the binding off them, put them into a notebook with that section, a section with spelling list paper, a section with vocabulary pages, and their handwriting pages. That's the "Language Arts" notebook. The other notebook is their math pages (we use a different workbook curriculum) bound with science notebooking pages (nature journal pages) and science lab sheets. so for their day's work, they need to bring the three notebooks to the table and get started!
I'm going to make a notebook next for their daily bible study and devotions. I'm just working on the layout. I did figure out a way to comb bind my outlook calendar pages into a customized calendar, too. :-) this is so much fun! good thing I don't work at a office supply store! :lol:
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Mommamo

Re: here's what I'm doing with our HOD to prepare for the year

Post by Mommamo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:29 am

Wow! You have been productive! Want to come over and organize for me? :lol:
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:51 am

I love your ideas! I may have to put a history notebook together like this. I just bought the timeline pages from Tanglewood to use for history notebooking, and I may get a few of the History Scribe sets to add in, as they are on sale at Currclick right now. Thanks for all your great suggestions and ideas!
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:50 am

Sounds wonderful. :D What was the best deal and place you could find on the comb binder and the laminator? I have thought of those as well.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

annaz

Post by annaz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:53 am

What type of comb binder did you get? I could think of 1001 reasons to have one. Just curious what is working for you...
Thanks!

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:30 pm

I found both of them at wal mart! the comb binder will do up to 100 pages (but I made it work with more by buying bigger combs at office max) and it was about fifty bucks. The laminator I actually got on clearance for twenty bucks! I've had it for a little while longer, but I find it very handy. I have laminated a lot of the boy's index cards they use for reference.
Most of my stuff I find online for free. :-) Then the rest I just create my own! If you type in free notebooking pages you will be shocked at the amount of google pages you get!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

annaz

Post by annaz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:07 pm

6timeboymom wrote:I found both of them at wal mart! the comb binder will do up to 100 pages (but I made it work with more by buying bigger combs at office max) and it was about fifty bucks. The laminator I actually got on clearance for twenty bucks! I've had it for a little while longer, but I find it very handy. I have laminated a lot of the boy's index cards they use for reference.
Most of my stuff I find online for free. :-) Then the rest I just create my own! If you type in free notebooking pages you will be shocked at the amount of google pages you get!
I did not know Walmart had comb-binders and ahh!!! :shock: You got it on sale? :evil: I want one on sale too!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:19 am

WOW Darci!

You are so creative! Now you're making me want to google comb binders! SHeesh I cannot come here, you guys make me go OVER budget! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:52 am

I'm going to look into the comb binder thingie too! I like the idea of making my own books. :D
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

familymgrkendra

Post by familymgrkendra » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 am

Great job!! You are super organized. Good luck with your school year.

For those wanting a comb binding machine:

I ordered one from BindingMachine.com earlier this year. It was on sale for $19.99, down from $99.99. I haven't used it yet, but a few others who bought it have used it and love it. The site currently has one on sale for $29.99, down from $99.99. They also sell laminating machines and laminating pouches. The pouches are the least expensive I have seen anywhere. I bought an 8x11 laminator from LTD Commodities a year ago and I love my machine!!

Just checked over at LakeSide Collection and they have a Laminator on sale for $19.99: 9x11 Laminator

They also have a set of 100 pouches for $4.95.
Kendra Neal
Frugal Family Manager to:
DH-Harlin
Joshua 6yrs, Nathan 4yrs, Daniel 3yrs

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:01 am

You guys are going to kill my budget if I hang around too long. The laminator could be so handy, but I have to ask myself if I really need it.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:32 am

Ok you sold me on the comb binder. I have always used Binders with dividers but the problem is sometimes things do not make it in the page protector again once you take them out. And when they do they never seem to be where I wanted them to be. :roll: I was also thinking that we could make keep sake books from out school work this way and also pictures they make without taking huge binder space. I liked the idea of the photo book that I could make but there is something about touching, feeling their actual work as well. Thanks for the suggestion I think this will make it easier rather than tracking down papers for six kids. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:19 am

Now I want one too!!!! :lol:

I may have a hard time justifying one to my husband righr now. :?
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

annaz

Post by annaz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:02 am

holyhart wrote:Now I want one too!!!! :lol:

I may have a hard time justifying one to my husband righr now. :?

NO NEED TO JUSTIFY.........> CHRISTMAS PRESENT!!!!! :wink:

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:49 am

Good idea! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10