Reviving forums

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

Reviving forums

Post by Bijou » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:28 pm

I wish I knew how to revive the old fashioned forums and message boards. :roll: It seems that things like Facebook have just completely taken over everyone's lives, mine included. I long for the days before social media. I have made many good friends on fb, but life has not been The same since fb homeschool groups, etc took over. They are such a distraction from what I need to be focusing on and I am working up the courage to leave it behind for good? Am I the only one who feels this way?
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

The2youngs

Re: Reviving forums

Post by The2youngs » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:52 pm

I agree! I really appreciated so much of this forum years ago when it was so active and we were new to HOD! You’re definitely not the only one. I removed the FB app from my phone a month or so ago and it’s made a HUGE difference in what I focus my time on daily! Even just the simple act of having to use the FB website (which is horrifically redesigned) makes me not so inclined to use it!

The interesting thing is that on this forum I felt like I got to “know” other HOD families quite a bit better than nowadays on the big group pages. There’s just too many people and one- or two-line comments aren’t always as helpful (or at least understandable) as being able to type out a few paragraphs like we do here.

I don’t know how to actually revive the board, but thought it worth encouraging you that you’re not alone! 💜
Last edited by The2youngs on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

Bijou

Post by Bijou » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Heather,
Thank you for the encouragement! I couldn't agree more.
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:33 am

Hi, ladies! :D

Count me in! You're definitely not alone! ;)

My husband and I made the (unpopular it seems) decision years ago to not be a part of fb...we've never had an account. Our extended family members actually got mad at us for this, but we've always felt at peace with the decision. Not judging others AT ALL for choosing to use it, it just wasn't for us. ;)

One thing that was SO wonderful in our earlier days of homeschooling, was having these amazing message boards and forums. I can't even begin to explain the wise counsel, advice, friendship, and many blessings that have come from that community. It's really the only homeschool community I had, and in fact, the only homeschool encouragement I received (other than my supportive husband, Praise the Lord!). So when almost everything seemed to be migrating to fb, it was hard to see that go. I'm all for more moms reviving this board. From my own experience, I know what a positive impact it can have! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Bijou

Post by Bijou » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Lisa,
Good for you guys for never having FB! In some huge ways I wish I never had either. Then on the other hand I have made some really good friendships with people there that I met in homeschool groups. There are a few of those friends that I talk to almost daily. What's nice though is that we have exchanged email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, etc. so if one of us chooses to leave FB we can still stay in contact.

I just miss the simplicity of the early years of homeschooling. Not that we can't get back there. It's just that now I have the constant knowledge in my head that there are groups, etc out there and it's hard to let them go. I am a work in progress and am spending much less time on social media. Heck! Today I made a new dessert and and now making a new dinner. I actually got my cookbooks out this morning(like old times). Lol!
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:01 pm

Ladies,

This is such a breath of fresh air to read! We have loved the message board so much through the years and have made some truly amazing connections with families this way. :D We love to see another wave of message board friends. :D

How wonderful it is to have a place to share together as we travel this homeschool path! We look forward to visiting with you in the months ahead. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:12 pm

I agree! I have missed message boards and it’s especially been on my mind lately. I never really connected in Facebook groups like I did on message boards.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.