Dictation: Question and Request

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
cbenner0723

Dictation: Question and Request

Post by cbenner0723 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:22 pm

Hello All,
So I did a search for Dictation and read about 90 minutes of posts (No way I can filter through 308 pages of findings, lol). I think I have a good understanding of how dictation works now but want to be sure.
So when I do dictation with my child, I have them review the passage first. How long should this be? Should he read it a few times and this be good or does he "memorize" it for a while before having me recite?
When he is through with the review of the passage, I begin to read it to him. Do I read the whole sentence or just a few words at a time? I actually have 2 boys doing dictation right now and I know one can do almost a whole sentence with ease but my second son struggles with just a few words at a time. So I'm not sure which way I should do it or if its okay to do it two different ways based on the child's ability.
If the child is only getting 3 or 4 words read to him at a time and he still struggles to get it right does that mean I need to go down a level for him or does it mean he isn't studying it long enough? He does have ADHD with learning disabilities but we have been working through some of these.

Now for the request. Is it possible to get all the dictation levels combined in a separate book from the guides? With me doing 2 kids at different levels this year and next year 3 kids at different levels it would be nice to have my own teachers book of dictations. This way I could just put book markers with their names on in it and not have to struggle with 3 separate guide books. Just a thought. Thanks and cheers!
Carrie Benner
Thanks so much
C Benner
Mom of 6
Wife of a Navy Submariner
Boy 13yr - finished BHFHG and Preparing
Boy 11yo - finished BHFHG and BLHFHG
Girl 7yo - finished LHFHG and partially finished BLHFHG
Boy 3yo
Girl 22 months
Girl 3 months

Rice

Re: Dictation: Question and Request

Post by Rice » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:53 pm

First off, for placement, take a look at the levels and choose one that looks easy for each son. Have them start at the beginning and do just the top passage in each column (one per day, moving on when done perfectly). Usually the first time they need a second day to get a passage right, we just keep moving but the second time or if they need more than 2 days, then we slow down and do every passage from then on.

And to answer your question, you have them study it as long as they need to know how to spell the words and remember punctuation and capitalization. They should visualize each word (as opposed to reciting the letters), some students will will take just a couple read-throughs, while others will need to write out, spell aloud or write in the air some words or possibly even almost memorize the passage.

And try really hard not to compare your boys. I've had one who finished all 8 levels before he finished 10th grade and another who was still in level 7 when he graduated. It's all good! They both learned at their own pace and, in fact, the one who never "finished" probably learned more than the other who found spelling easy. :wink:

There are different thoughts about whether to recite a phrase or a sentence at a time. I think the ideal (according to CM [Charlotte Mason]) is to go by sentence - they should be short enough when they start (Level 2 is just 3-5 words) for success; however, a child's success is more important to me than the ideal, so I've been known to break things down for a child when needed (especially for a second or third (or 4th) day on a passage.

And as for a book, that's what I did! I copied the levels I needed and, as my kids went through the guides, compiled a book (binder) of them. It makes it easy to find the next one we need, no matter what guide they are using (since one of mine was ahead of the levels in the guides, and others in the level included). But to tell you the truth, that's not what we use day-to-day! I photocopy the passages and put them in a page protector for each student. They study, then pass their page protector to me to read aloud. They write them in a notebook, then correct and I check. We can pull the page out to mark mistakes for studying the next day or to mark the passage as complete. They then throw out the pagea as they finish them, saving the guide and my master binder from being marked up.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:50 am

As for keeping the passages for you to read instead of multiple guides, you are allowed to copy from the appendix. I put each level currently used in a report folder. Each kid has their own. The can mark them up as they go. Sometimes they "highlight" things before the first attempt. And then if they don't get it right, they "highlight" their mistakes for studying the next day. They also put check marks on them when they get it right.

My oldest does Dictation when we do storytime, and my other two do dictation currently with Dithor. It helps us to have a set subject to do then with so we don't miss it! We ended up doing it daily this way, but I think that is actually a good thing!
Last edited by StephanieU on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:00 am

StephanieU wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:50 am
My oldest does Dictation when we do storytime, and my other two do dictation currently with Dithor. It helps us to have a set subject to do then with so we don't miss it! We ended up doing it daily this way, but I think that if actually a good thing!
Yes to this! Doing Dictation daily (even though it's only scheduled in the guide about 3 days per unit) yeilds the best results. Finding a time that you do it every day makes it so much easier to remember.

I had, at one point, 4 kids who would do it at the same time. In between working with the younger ones and the older ones (I had 7 in school), all the ones who were old enough would grab their papers and do Dictation. After that I'd work with the older ones, while the younger ones would go get snack. Each would study their passage and give me their paper when they were ready. I would read each passage when they were ready (first come first serve) until each was done. All 4 kids done in bout 10 minutes!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

mama4z

Post by mama4z » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:24 pm

You've already gotten great responses, but I thought I would add my two cents. I borrowed this idea from someone either on this board or on a blog about HOD. Over the summer, when I have more time, I photocopy all the dictation passages for the coming year. Then I trim each passage to fit on an index card. I glue the passage to the card and then laminate. All the cards for each level of dictation are placed in separate index card file boxes. Each child is given their own box at their level to keep with their books and supplies. Then when it is time for dictation each day, they pull the card out that they are on to study. Once I've dictated and they have written, they hand me the card and their written work for me to check, then it goes back in the box! It is a bit of work up front, but I have found it to be so worth it! Hope this helps!

Merry Christmas!

cbenner0723

Post by cbenner0723 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:09 am

mama4z wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:24 pm
I photocopy all the dictation passages for the coming year. Then I trim each passage to fit on an index card. I glue the passage to the card and then laminate.
I love this idea. I will have to look into doing this. I already have the index cards and a laminator so all i'll have to do is get the size for the cards. ( I tried putting cards in a full sheet and laminating but because they broke the feed stand its annoying to get them in without them shifting.)
I have a few weeks until I start up again (Holiday break and still waiting for all my books.) We will start again after the new year. I'm thinking of doing all round schooling but taking longer breaks between quarters. Something like 6 weeks on and 2 off kinda thing. But I think I'll still do reading and dictation on breaks a little to help them. They are so far behind on these areas. Plus they need something to occupy their time or they drive me stir crazy.
Thanks all for all the ideas. They are great.
Carrie Benner
Thanks so much
C Benner
Mom of 6
Boy 3yo
Girl 22 months
Girl 3 months

cbenner0723

Post by cbenner0723 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:17 am

How do we do the hyphens? for instance Level 5 passage 3 at the end there is 'Are we - May and I." -Lucy Larcom'
Do we say the dash or do we read it how we would speak and they know where the dashes/hyphens are?
Thanks!
Thanks so much
C Benner
Mom of 6
Boy 3yo
Girl 22 months
Girl 3 months

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:53 am

cbenner0723 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:17 am
How do we do the hyphens? for instance Level 5 passage 3 at the end there is 'Are we - May and I." -Lucy Larcom'
Do we say the dash or do we read it how we would speak and they know where the dashes/hyphens are?
Thanks!
Read it how you speak. That's why they study the passage. :D It teaches them to write what they hear, instead of needing to be told. :wink:

And to get cards to stay in place when laminating, you can use a small piece of clear gift tape (or even packing tape) on each card to hold them in place in the laminator sheets. It doesn't affect the laminator sheets!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics