high school chemistry

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Robbi

high school chemistry

Post by Robbi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm

My daughter is about to finish up WH and we are looking at her science for next year. She really doesn't want to do chemistry again, she feels that the chemistry in WG and MTMM was enough!! At this age (she's 16) I feel like she should have some say in the school courses, however, at one time she really wanted to be a veterinarian so I feel science is important! She now says she doesn't want to be one because of all the science involved. So I'm debating on just making her do the science scheduled in AH1 (with or without lab??) or doing some other science or a different chemistry. My question is in the sneak peaks for AH1, Carrie talked about something called Chemistry 101 DVD that people could add to beef up the science in WG. That post is here: https://heartofdakota.com/board3/viewto ... =6&t=16078
Could we just use those DVDs for next year, adding it to what she did in WG. How would that look in transcripts, etc?
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: high school chemistry

Post by Carrie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Robbi,

The Chemistry 101 DVDs are really wonderful, however they work better as an add-on to an existing course. :D Otherwise, you would have to add so much to them to make them credit worthy. It definitely could be done, it would just be a challenge. :wink: If your daughter is thinking of being a vet, she should do a math-based chemistry (which is what we have scheduled in US1). If she is moving away from the idea of being a vet, she has a bit more leeway in the sciences... although most colleges want to see either an IPC or Physical Science course, a Biology course, and a Chemistry course on the high school transcript. :D

High school is a great time for students to try different subjects to see where there real interests lie. If your daughter is less excited about being a vet because of the science involved - that is part of the sifting and sorting process that often takes place as kiddos try to decide what they would enjoy doing post high school. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 pm

You could postpone chemistry to her senior year, if there is another science she is more interested in taking next year.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Carrie wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 pm
Robbi,

The Chemistry 101 DVDs are really wonderful, however they work better as an add-on to an existing course. :D Otherwise, you would have to add so much to them to make them credit worthy. It definitely could be done, it would just be a challenge. :wink: If your daughter is thinking of being a vet, she should do a math-based chemistry (which is what we have scheduled in US1). If she is moving away from the idea of being a vet, she has a bit more leeway in the sciences... although most colleges want to see either an IPC or Physical Science course, a Biology course, and a Chemistry course on the high school transcript. :D

High school is a great time for students to try different subjects to see where there real interests lie. If your daughter is less excited about being a vet because of the science involved - that is part of the sifting and sorting process that often takes place as kiddos try to decide what they would enjoy doing post high school. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
This is a great question....my oldest used the recommended science option for US1, and loved it, but it was tough. He was headed to a math/science based field, so it all worked out well, as this option really prepared him for his course of study in college.

For kids that aren't needing a math based chemistry, what would you recommend as a less intense science option for that year?
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!