Alternative to Rod&Staff Language Arts - Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
houseofblue

Alternative to Rod&Staff Language Arts - Bigger

Post by houseofblue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:37 pm

Hello there! I absolutely love HOD and all of the choices. I so wanted Rod&Staff to work for my 8 year old in Bigger, as I've read the forum entries from Carrie on why she chose the curriculum and the benefits of it, along with how it pairs well with the many other Language Arts components woven into other boxes (vocabulary, narration, copywork, etc). My guy just isn't having it. We've attempted it twice now - once in 2nd grade, now for a full 10 weeks in 3rd. He shuts down now when I begin to pull it out. I believe he just finds it dull and uninteresting. I thought about getting the next level up to make it more challenging for him (level 3), but I'm afraid he would still be bored. He definitely needs help with his writing/spelling/grammar. Is there any other source you might suggest as an alternative, so that I'm not overlapping too much with the rest of the HOD day? I'm pondering replacing it with First Language Lessons 3, and moving from spelling words now to the dictation passages for extra writing support. I believe he's ready for that. I had also looked into Learning Language Arts through Literature, as I love it's Charlotte Mason approach and making grammar relevant to the passages at hand. I am just curious if the latter program would be too much overlap with the rest of the day or not.

Very Sincerely,
Mallory
Last edited by houseofblue on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christianmom

Re: Alternative to Rod&Staff Language Arts - Bigger

Post by christianmom » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:25 pm

I have found the spiral approach of Christian Light has worked much better for learning grammar for both of my boys. The constant review and work sheet learning worked better for retention for them. One of them did R&S 2,3,4,and 5 before Christian Light; the other did R&S 2,3,4, and 6. I ended up replacing R&S with Christian Light for both of them, and then they ended up understanding the complex grammar that is in both programs!

Christian Light, like R&S, is a very thorough Mennonite, advanced grammar program. The spelling could be skipped for the dictation; my sons do / did both. They are both solid grammar programs.

One of my children does learn better with R&S, and I have enjoyed doing it with her; she is currently in book 6.

I personally like both programs for thorough, solid, advanced grammar with true Biblical integration in both programs.

You can replace Carrie’s grammar, if you need to. In the higher guides she writes in a schedule for Rod and Staff and also writes ‘or your own grammar program’ with a blank space to fill in a schedule for your own. It works best if the one that you pick is about the same length of time as Rod and Staff or not too much longer.

I haven’t used the programs that you mentioned so I’m sorry that I can’t make any suggestions based on them specifically.

I hope that helps.
Last edited by christianmom on Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Hello Mallory, and welcome to the HOD Board!

I'm so glad you are enjoying Heart of Dakota with your son! You can use any grammar with Heart of Dakota, so if you want to use a different one you certainly can. As the previous poster shared, it is a good idea to only do grammar for the amount of time suggested in your HOD guide on the days it is planned. It is also important not to double up on language arts skills, so you can omit the spelling, narration, poetry, etc, from the grammar program you are using in place of R & S English if it has those skills too. This will keep the length of your day manageable, as well as keep your language arts balanced.

That being said, Carrie and I both think R & S English is an outstanding grammar program that is somewhat difficult to replace due to the thorough coverage it gives in so many areas of English. If you haven't tried doing most of it orally with your son and having him only write one section, you could give that a try if you are open to doing so.

Grammar is a disciplinary subject rather than an inspirational subject. I know you'd mentioned your son was 'bored' with grammar. Honestly, grammar isn't all that exciting or inspirational! Believe it or not, this is a good thing. Every subject cannot be inspirational and exciting - kiddos can't maintain that level of excitement all school day long. Some grammar curriculums try to make grammar more exciting by adding coloring pages, crossword puzzles, cartoons, stories to read, etc. But really, that just adds time to the day.

I have found through the years that it is a GOOD thing R & S English is black and white, clear, straight-forward and the nuts and bolts our sons need to truly understand the English language. Having a disciplinary approach to grammar, math, spelling, etc. helps our sons be truly inspired about inspirational subjects like poetry, history, Bible, etc.

However, all that being said, that brings me back to the fact that you can choose any grammar you want to use with HOD! I'm sure with some prayer and a little research, you will know which grammar you want to use with your son! Give whatever you think is best a try, and see how it goes! Many times, however, I will say families do come back to R & S English, especially in middle school and high school. It's just such a solid grammar program. Best of wishes in finding what fits you and your son best!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

houseofblue

Post by houseofblue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:32 am

Thank you christianmom and Julie. I appreciate you both! I will try something that takes the same amount of time for now (15 mins or so) to fill that grammar component, and definitely will keep an eye out for jumping back into Rod & Staff in future years if he's able. It is a great program. Thank you both :).