Coming back to HOD in a year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
manyblessings

Coming back to HOD in a year

Post by manyblessings » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Hello! I am a former user of HOD- I think in fact I was using each guide from Bigger on just as it came out :) My older kiddos are all grown and living on their own, but we still have one at home! HOD was a welcome part of our lives back then with the big kids. We have been using My Father's World since preschool for our youngest (when she was age 3) and we are just finishing up Adventures (grade 2 for her). It has been great because of the cool extras (my daughter is extremely hands-on and my brain also loves the weekly grid), but I can already see with ECC (the first guide in their "family cycle") that I'm going to have a bit of adjusting to do. While their younger kid guides are very developmentally appropriate, the older kid guides are written for a wide age range, leaning toward upper elementary. Also, going forward, MFW is going to be too teacher-intensive. My life has changed a lot (I am halfway through seminary and working part time as a pastoral intern!), so I really need for her to learn to work independently. I had wanted to start Bigger this year (that is where she would firmly place), but she is really excited about ECC's trip around the world, so to speak. So I will stay with it during this last year of seminary, but once I graduate, I am coming back here! I am pretty sure that Preparing will be the place to start once she finishes 3rd grade. I really appreciate how HOD has built in incremental independence! Both programs are wonderful in their own ways! But I know HOD will fit our needs better going forward. My one and ONLY wish is that there was a weekly grid. I discovered late in life I have ADHD and may be on the spectrum, and for some reason in the 2-page daily spread of boxes I miss things!
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

Rice

Re: Coming back to HOD in a year

Post by Rice » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Welcome back (soon)! I remember your user name from my early days with HOD (6 years ago). And if you weren't here then, then it was reading back-posts. :wink:

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

manyblessings

Re: Coming back to HOD in a year

Post by manyblessings » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Thank you! Yes I was blessedmomof4 before but couldn't get back into the account anymore- so I made this one. Plus, I have 5 kiddos now :) I didn't expect to be blessed with another baby 13 years after my former youngest! I am looking forward to having everything planned out with no adjustments for age needed again, the 4-day week, and the help in gradually training my child toward independent work :) And I love the way HOD covers science from Preparing on. I am super excited about the student sheets and new teacher guides that are in the works!
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev