Moving at the beginning of the school year! Need advise.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Momoffab4

Moving at the beginning of the school year! Need advise.

Post by Momoffab4 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:51 am

Good Morning,

This is our first year using HOD and I am super excited! But we just decided to move out of state for my husbands work and it will likely be End of September. Not the end of the world but I am wondering if I should either wait until we are settled to start up HOD and just use Time4learning to do half days and kinda review/enrichment since it’s going to be crazy packing and getting prepared and unpacked? Or do a light schedule with HOD and just make it work. I don’t want to start to late or lose what we do before the move. The kiddos need to be doing something school wise. We are also going to be helping 2 adult kids move because they are staying behind so there will be a lot going on.
Has anyone moved at the beginning of a school year..? Any thoughts are welcome. I’m trying not to panic moving during a pandemic at the beginning of the school year leaving adult children behind whew.... yes. God is good!

We are using Preparing for my 9yr old and 11 yr old if this helps.

manyblessings

Re: Moving at the beginning of the school year! Need advise.

Post by manyblessings » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:47 pm

We moved in the middle of this past school year, and I only have one child (age 8 ) at home, and it was in the same city. Even so, formal school did not happen until we settled into our new place. When you homeschool, you can take breaks when you need them. Each state requires about 160 to 180 days of school for a school year. With 365 days in a calendar year, you have plenty of time to complete that requirement. Moving is hectic. It is also a learning opportunity. Let your kids be involved in the process-choosing what to pack, what to get rid of. Talk to them about making new friends and how to keep connections with old ones (letters, video calls, etc). Talk to them about the new state you will be living in, the climate, things to do there-grab a few library books (if you can remember to return them before you leave!). Show them a US map and talk about the distance you are moving and how long the trip will take. Real life is full of learning! Your curriculum will still be there when you are settled into your new home.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

my3sons

Re: Moving at the beginning of the school year! Need advise.

Post by my3sons » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Momoffab4 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:51 am
Good Morning,

This is our first year using HOD and I am super excited! But we just decided to move out of state for my husbands work and it will likely be End of September. Not the end of the world but I am wondering if I should either wait until we are settled to start up HOD and just use Time4learning to do half days and kinda review/enrichment since it’s going to be crazy packing and getting prepared and unpacked? Or do a light schedule with HOD and just make it work. I don’t want to start to late or lose what we do before the move. The kiddos need to be doing something school wise. We are also going to be helping 2 adult kids move because they are staying behind so there will be a lot going on.
Has anyone moved at the beginning of a school year..? Any thoughts are welcome. I’m trying not to panic moving during a pandemic at the beginning of the school year leaving adult children behind whew.... yes. God is good!

We are using Preparing for my 9yr old and 11 yr old if this helps.
Lourdes gave some great advice already! Moving is stressful - for sure! And you do have 365 days in the year to make it through the 140 days of plans in PHFHG! I get your comment about the kids needing to be doing something school-wise too. For that reason, I'd probably do school on the days I could - at least half-days. However, once we were down to crunch time of really packing things up and moving, I'd take a break from school for a few weeks at least and have the kiddos help us pack and move! Then once we'd moved after a week or so, I'd maybe start back half-speed (as the kids do need something to do, and you need them to do something :D ) and then ramp up to full-speed when we were more settled. Just some thoughts! I see your from your original post your move will be coming soon - hope it goes well!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie