Placement Issues

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
zechariahsmom1982

Placement Issues

Post by zechariahsmom1982 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:46 pm

I am a concerned parent of a 10 year old child. He was diagnosed with Autism, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Slow, and ADHD. He has these issues and to me has fell behind in the public school system. I feel like I can do more to help him besides relying on the public school system. He does not know his addition or subtraction family facts. He cannot multiply or divide. He still struggles with spelling and I catch him asking me how to spell words he learned in first grade. He started the year in 3rd grade with an iep (Inclusive) and ended the year in 4th grade (inclusive). He was promoted without even learning multiplication or division for the year. I am thinking about placing him in the kindergarten program so I can start from scratch and this can help him learn the skills that he missed in the public school system. Should I do that or just place him in the 4th grade program anyway? Any suggestions?

manyblessings

Re: Placement Issues

Post by manyblessings » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:55 am

Hi! I also am mom to a Zechariah (we spell it Zakarias). The wonderful thing about Heart of Dakota is that you can start your child wherever they are-there are no grade levels, only skill levels. Have you seen the placement chart on the Heart of Dakota website? This is a great tool to assist you in choosing the right guide and language arts/math. https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php In your son's case, don't worry about the age recommendations- see where his skills are on the charts-the first chart is most important, and the rest can help you fine-tune. If you still have questions, I encourage you to keep asking!
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

StephanieU

Re: Placement Issues

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:12 am

Definitely look at the placement chart. Math doesn't factor into placement really, as it is completely independent of everything else until high school (science). Reading, attention span, and ability to work independently are more important. I am thinking Beyond might be where he places. It is a fun guide that most don't find babyish. But he might also place into Bigger. I wouldn't go as high as Preparing probably though with his struggles.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)